• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krakaeur's book "Missoula" to be released April 21

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Is Paoli associated with UM?

No, he is not. He was adverse to UM while representing JJ. He sued the university in federal court, to try to stop the university hearing.

Thanks. I was just trying to understand GetGrizzy's comment re: a potential lawsuit by an individual creating bad press for UM. I suppose there is nothing to understand.

Maybe getgrizzy will teach you and me about the law and lawyers someday.

Here's to hoping.

He can try all he wants, but this Krafttower guy's book won't outsell Playing .500 Ball. If it does, it will be Prukop's or math's fault, not Coach Ron Ash's.

CDAGRIZ said:
He can try all he wants, but this Krafttower guy's book won't outsell Playing .500 Ball. If it does, it will be Prukop's or math's fault, not Coach Ron Ash's.
Math just doesn't have Pac-12 hips.

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Math just doesn't have Pac-12 hips.

You got that right! Math barely has Frontier Conference hips.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
No, he is not. He was adverse to UM while representing JJ. He sued the university in federal court, to try to stop the university hearing.

Thanks. I was just trying to understand GetGrizzy's comment re: a potential lawsuit by an individual creating bad press for UM. I suppose there is nothing to understand.

Here's to hoping.
yeah there's a scenario where krakauer writes something in his book that's going to get him sued. he works for a huge publishing company called doubleday (google it). you can rest assured there is very little chance of him being sued by paoli. trying to sue an author over something in a book defending rape victims would have to be over something blatant because it'd look very frivolous if not. doing that would gain little support nationally and make our already tarnished school and city look that much worse. anyone hoping for, or thinking there's a chance of a law suit out of this is hopelessly desperate and delusional.

getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Here's to hoping.
yeah there's a scenario where krakauer writes something in his book that's going to get him sued. he works for a huge publishing company called doubleday (google it). you can rest assured there is very little chance of him being sued by paoli. trying to sue an author over something in a book defending rape victims would have to be over something blatant because it'd look very frivolous if not. doing that would gain little support nationally and make our already tarnished school and city look that much worse. anyone hoping for, or thinking there's a chance of a law suit out of this is hopelessly desperate and delusional.

I'm not saying anyone will sue Krakauer or have any reason to sue him, but I will say that you don't know what you're talking about. I've actually been involved in defending a big time publishing house that was sued in Montana in recent years. Trust me; they get sued, especially in jurisdictions like MT.

getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Here's to hoping.

Nobody remotely hoped, nor thought that the publisher and author would be sued. As usual, you've gotten far afield from the original comment, which was simply hoping that the author was careful what he wrote about an attorney's handling of a sensitive case, lest he be contacted by a plaintiffs attorney.

As PR noted, publishers and authors are sued very frequently, even sometimes regarding content about alleged sexual assault (Lena Dunham/Penguin Random House). I agree that there is little chance of that here, and nobody has said anything to the contrary. Accordingly, maybe you should give putting words in other posters' mouths a rest. Deal?

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Here's to hoping.

I'm not saying anyone will sue Krakauer or have any reason to sue him, but I will say that you don't know what you're talking about. I've actually been involved in defending a big time publishing house that was sued in Montana in recent years. Trust me; they get sued, especially in jurisdictions like MT.
krakauer/doubleday won't be sued. i promise. if they are it'll just make us look bad.

krakauer is one of the most popular authors in the country. good luck with that.

CDAGRIZ said:
getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Here's to hoping.

Nobody remotely hoped, nor thought that the publisher and author would be sued. As usual, you've gotten far afield from the original comment, which was simply hoping that the author was careful what he wrote about an attorney's handling of a sensitive case, lest he be contacted by a plaintiffs attorney.

As PR noted, publishers and authors are sued very frequently, even sometimes regarding content about alleged sexual assault (Lena Dunham/Penguin Random House). I agree that there is little chance of that here, and nobody has said anything to the contrary. Accordingly, maybe you should give putting words in other posters' mouths a rest. Deal?
please point out who i said was hoping krakauer would be sued. good luck with that.

snap said:
The chapter about e-Griz should be entertaining.
If in Chapter 7: The Miscreants of Egriz,he in anyway portrays me as fat, obese, chubby, chunky, husky or rubenesqe, my attorneys are prepared to sue for libel. Unfortunately, They have advised me that I do not have the grounds for litigation if he characterized me as a lush, problem drinker, gowed up, pie-eyed or sot.

getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
getgrizzy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Here's to hoping.

please point out who i said was hoping krakauer would be sued. good luck with that.

Oh, you were just making a general statement that "anyone hoping for, or thinking there's a chance of a law suit out of this is hopelessly desperate and delusional" in response to someone in particular, but not directing it at anyone in particular? Got it. :roll:

Ursa Major said:
snap said:
The chapter about e-Griz should be entertaining.
If in Chapter 7: The Miscreants of Egriz,he in anyway portrays me as fat, obese, chubby, chunky, husky or rubenesqe, my attorneys are prepared to sue for libel. Unfortunately, They have advised me that I do not have the grounds for litigation if he characterized me as a lush, problem drinker, gowed up, pie-eyed or sot.
Update:
I just got off the phone with my legal team. Apparently they are prepared to sue for libel if Krakaeur did make disparaging comments about me drinking. They are prepared to blame this on the liquor advertising and the selling of liqour, by bartenders and convenience store clerks, to those who have been obviously over served. They are calling it the "ash defense".

I doubt that there's much chance Krakauer would be sued. He's been around long enough to know libel laws, and his editors know the laws too.

What's more interesting to me is just how lousy the timing is for this book. In recent weeks, and months, the whole notion that there's some sort of rape epidemic on college campuses is finally being revealed as a hoax. The claim that 1 in every 5 college coeds has been the victim of a rape or sexual assault has been dis-proven. Even NY Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, the lawmaker who has most forcefully pushed misleading statistics such as this, has removed it from her web site.

This piece is one of several that explains how the case for a campus rape epidemic has fallen apart:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/23/the_crusade_against_rape_culture_stumbles_125049.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So where does that leave Krakauer? Is he still going to try to make the argument that there is a rape epidemic based on experiences in Missoula? The most high-profile of which was a jury's quick exoneration of Jordan Johnson?

Seems pretty lame.

CDAGRIZ said:
It's a reoccurring theme throughout Ronnie's book--if it's not your responsibility, it cannot be your fault.
Oh, and I think it's spelled "Crackauthor"

getgrizzy said:
HarperCollings and Chris Kyle got sued by Jesse Ventura - and lost. I am not sure Jordan Johnson or his attorneys would care a whole about making our already tarnished school and city look worse if there are inaccuracies in the book that tarnish their images.

Back