• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krakaeur's book "Missoula" to be released April 21

From Krakauer's website. The 2d para is not accurate. The DOJ tried to investigate a bunch of assault reports, but the county attorney wouldn't provide the records. "Few" of these assaults were "properly handled". There can't possibly be a solid basis for that statement.

"Missoula, Montana, is a typical college town, with a highly regarded state university, bucolic surroundings, a lively social scene, and an excellent football team — the Grizzlies — with a rabid fan base."

"The Department of Justice investigated 350 sexual assaults reported to the Missoula police between January 2008 and May 2012. Few of these assaults were properly handled by either the university or local authorities. In this, Missoula is also typical."

"Acquaintance rape is a crime like no other. ... the victim often comes under more suspicion than the alleged perpetrator. This is especially true if the victim is sexually active; if she had been drinking prior to the assault — and if the man she accuses plays on a popular sports team."

"In two cases the police agreed to press charges and the district attorney agreed to prosecute. One case led to a conviction; one to an acquittal. Those women courageous enough to press charges or to speak publicly about their experiences were attacked in the media, on Grizzly football fan sites, and/or to their faces. The university expelled three of the accused rapists, but one was reinstated by state officials in a secret proceeding."

http://jonkrakauer.com/missoula" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PlayerRep said:
From Krakauer's website. The 2d para is not accurate. The DOJ tried to investigate a bunch of assault reports, but the county attorney wouldn't provide the records. "Few" of these assaults were "properly handled". There can't possibly be a solid basis for that statement.

"Missoula, Montana, is a typical college town, with a highly regarded state university, bucolic surroundings, a lively social scene, and an excellent football team — the Grizzlies — with a rabid fan base."

"The Department of Justice investigated 350 sexual assaults reported to the Missoula police between January 2008 and May 2012. Few of these assaults were properly handled by either the university or local authorities. In this, Missoula is also typical."

"Acquaintance rape is a crime like no other. ... the victim often comes under more suspicion than the alleged perpetrator. This is especially true if the victim is sexually active; if she had been drinking prior to the assault — and if the man she accuses plays on a popular sports team."

"In two cases the police agreed to press charges and the district attorney agreed to prosecute. One case led to a conviction; one to an acquittal. Those women courageous enough to press charges or to speak publicly about their experiences were attacked in the media, on Grizzly football fan sites, and/or to their faces. The university expelled three of the accused rapists, but one was reinstated by state officials in a secret proceeding."

is someone going to sue?

PlayerRep said:

You see guys, we got all worried for nothing. Hes going to hand out compliments all over this book. You wont find such a statement in Coach Rons Playing .500 Ball!

"If the case goes to trial, the woman’s entire personal life often becomes fair game for the defense attorneys."

Is that not the case with whomever they are wrongfully accusing in many cases also??

All this crap ends up "he said she said" and Krakaeur's friend got date raped by her boy friend and it pissed him off. He read many pages on this type of rape and it made him more angry. Decided to write about it and change the world we live in. And to hell with Jordon Johnson, lets smear him because he "might" have had sex with that girl....then she changed her mind.
The jury said he was innocent, but Krakaeur knows he better.

Krakaeur is simply another gifted writer attempting to make a buck off the backs of young kids and is sucker punching many young men and women. At the Missoula book signing Pat Williams will purchase the first copy of Krakaer's book standing along with Gwen as she grabs the next 100 to give away to the bleeding hearts....

PlayerRep said:

Gee, I wonder if he will point out Judge Christensen's finding that the "secret proceeding" violated all aspects of due process. I think we know that answer...

This smells like a largely one-sided, unbalanced and biased book. Cherry-picking of everything supportive of his view/bias/agenda. Omission of other things, like the statement of the federal judge about the UM proceeding offending anyone's sense of fairness. Interviews of accusers who didn't like the process or didn't get their way, and perhaps others who also didn't like something. No interviews of people on the other side of the contacts with investigators, and no way for them to defend the situations/allegations anyway. Interviews of supporters/enablers (see JJ situation). Cherry-picking of Bartz reports, DOJ letter (which was not based on a full investigation, as they weren't given the county attorney's file), and Missoulian and other articles. No interviews, and perhaps no attempt to interview, anyone on the other side or with a different view. I can't imagine that any of them would talk to Krakauer in a situation like this, even if contacted. No mention that apparently every athlete who fought the university proceedings with a lawyer was ultimately not thrown out of school. Lots of innuendo thrown in. I suppose there will be new information from accusers whom he interviewed. I wonder how many of their names will be used. Maybe Krakauer will be more balanced, but nothing in his blurb seems to indicate that.

While UM and Missoula probably don't need any more press on this subject and time-period, I think a truly balanced book, with input from all sides and based on facts (as much as possible), would be interesting to read.

I am not really sure how anyone is surprised by this. The guy is in it to sell books.

A book titled "Nothing To See Here", about how the QB was found not guilty, and about other cases that are largely unresolved isn't going to sell many copies.

Sensationalism sells. He can cloak it in his journalistic integrity all he wants, but he is doing this, and writing to sell as many copies as possible. It will play well back East.

PlayerRep said:
This smells like a largely one-sided, unbalanced and biased book. Cherry-picking of everything supportive of his view/bias/agenda. Omission of other things, like the statement of the federal judge about the UM proceeding offending anyone's sense of fairness. Interviews of accusers who didn't like the process or didn't get their way, and perhaps others who also didn't like something. No interviews of people on the other side of the contacts with investigators, and no way for them to defend the situations/allegations anyway. Interviews of supporters/enablers (see JJ situation). Cherry-picking of Bartz reports, DOJ letter (which was not based on a full investigation, as they weren't given the county attorney's file), and Missoulian and other articles. No interviews, and perhaps no attempt to interview, anyone on the other side or with a different view. I can't imagine that any of them would talk to Krakauer in a situation like this, even if contacted. No mention that apparently every athlete who fought the university proceedings with a lawyer was ultimately not thrown out of school. Lots of innuendo thrown in. I suppose there will be new information from accusers whom he interviewed. I wonder how many of their names will be used. Maybe Krakauer will be more balanced, but nothing in his blurb seems to indicate that.

While UM and Missoula probably don't need any more press on this subject and time-period, I think a truly balanced book, with input from all sides and based on facts (as much as possible), would be interesting to read.

Well said, PR. One would think, a well established professional journalist could get quite a bit of information telling the other side of this. Hell, the day it was announced that JJ was going to trial, I received phone calls, emails, etc telling me there was not enough evidence to even take this to trial. I was told the trial would look like a joke due to lack of evidence. Sure enough, that is exactly how the trial played out.

He would have had no problem finding people to tell the other side of the story. I won't be buying this book due to the one sided journalism. IF others can convince me the book does represent both sides, then I may find it an interesting read. For the sake of having faith in journalism, I hope this book does prove skeptics like me wrong. :thumb:

Krakauer is not a "journalist." In this case, "journalism" provided some unique opportunities for publicity, and Krakauer capitalized on them.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming that anybody is interested in getting out the whole story in any matter related to this topic. And I do mean anybody.

AllWeatherFan said:
I will be tracking book sales in Bozeman and Cheney.

This is a little disingenuous. For me, the book won't add anything to what is already settled by the jury trial, acquitting Jordan Johnson of the offense of rape. That factual dispute is no longer in question.

It is my hope that the book shines some light on the sham process UM puts its student athletes through when they are accused of some criminal infraction. Jordy has nothing left to prove or disprove, but maybe there will be additional information further vindicating him in that process. That being said, I am particularly interested in this tid bit:

"In two cases the police agreed to press charges and the district attorney agreed to prosecute. One case led to a conviction; one to an acquittal. Those women courageous enough to press charges or to speak publicly about their experiences were attacked in the media, on Grizzly football fan sites, and/or to their faces. The university expelled three of the accused rapists, but one was reinstated by state officials in a secret proceeding. One district attorney testified for an alleged rapist at his university hearing. She later left the prosecutor’s office and successfully defended the Grizzlies’ star quarterback in his rape trial."

That prosecutor now has the top job at an office she was critical of for failing to take seriously sex crimes. The great irony is that she had the 2nd highest position in that office shortly before embarking on this journey of flip flopping. Everyone deserves the right to a fair trial, and to be adequately represented. I hope that this book at least addresses what should be some real concerns for the citizens and voters of Missoula County about their top law enforcement official.

AllWeatherFan said:
Krakauer is not a "journalist." In this case, "journalism" provided some unique opportunities for publicity, and Krakauer capitalized on them.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming that anybody is interested in getting out the whole story in any matter related to this topic. And I do mean anybody.

Lives in Livingston, probably a cat fan... :evil:

The problem with the media's narrative of these rapes was the focus on the football team. This was about the University administration and the city police being incompetent, but that gets glossed over because they deflected the attention to the football team and cried 'special treatment'. I'm betting no where in that book does it talk about the Saudi kid who raped a girl and got tipped off by the UofM and fled the country - btw he wasn't on the football team. Or the myriad of other rape cases that were not connected to the football team in anyway. He is diminishing the problem by focusing the attention on only football players, and dismissing the countless victims that aren't lucky enough (intense sarcasm here) to be raped by football players, they also were let down by the incompetence of the UofM. But I guess a story about incompetence isn't as interesting as one about favoritism. And that was the real tragedy, that this administration was able to distract everyone from their negligence by throwing the football team out there as tasty morsel for the media and the politicos to feast upon.

Zootown Rox said:
The problem with the media's narrative of these rapes was the focus on the football team. This was about the University administration and the city police being incompetence, but that gets glossed over because they deflected the attention to the football team and cried 'special treatment'. I'm betting no where in that book does it talk about the Saudi kid who raped a girl and got tipped off by the UofM and fled the country - btw he wasn't on the football team. Or the myriad of other rape cases that were not connected to the football team in anyway. He is diminishing the problem by focusing the attention on only football players, and dismissing the countless victims that aren't lucky enough (intense sarcasm here) to be raped by football players, they also were let down by the incompetence of the UofM. But I guess a story about incompetence isn't as interesting as one about favoritism. And that was the real tragedy, that this administration was able to distract everyone from their negligence by throwing the football team out there as tasty morsel for the media and the politicos to feast upon.

Could not agree more. :thumb:

Back