• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Macey Huard transferring

Does seem to me that most of the individuals that are reported as entering a 'Portal' are, or I should say, were, on teams that didn't make it to any post season tournament other than their own conference tournaments. At least when it comes to the basketball sport sort of deal. Why anyone should leave a team that is in the process of actual post season tournament action in order to enter a 'portal' relates a couple of interpretations. of which I don't know what to think. Whatever those are and whatever reasons a person has in order to do so seems bewildering to me. If I was a prospective 'future' coach I wouldn't know, either.

I watched her play against NC State. She’s a fine player (and would be a solid backup for Bartsch), but I hope we can find a better post player to put alongside Bartsch and replace Gfeller.

I’m sure Greenslade won’t be ready from her ACL tear and I’m not sure Burton-Oliver will return. Pirog could make a leap, but I’m not overly convinced.

If Macey has her mind set on going to play at a Big 12 (other other major conference) school, I’m not sure there’s much Brian can to do stop her.
Thx. Informative. The LG are currently very weak in the post. Only one clear starter. No depth.

STOP HER?!!! My response would be 'Don't let the door hit ya on the way OUT!' She's already made it clear she thinks it's all about her. LG are still playing and she's out independently selling he wares. If she was on scholarship, the University should, at the very least, boot her out of school, effective on entry to the portal. Leave with a boatload of 'incomplete' coursework to deal with. Pack your bags, and GET OUT!
Hoops, you are a Business Attorney, where does the University, any University, stand a on 'specific performance' or some other legal angle to combat this 'portal' BS?
You don't quit a job and still expect to get paid. I'm no lawyer, obviously.
Don’t know. Would have to see the scholarship paperwork.

I never said murphy was an “excellent” rebounder. But she has had double digit rebounds in multiple games in her career. Shot 2-3 from 3 today. She’s better than a number of LG players who played on team in past 3 years. Don’t know why you like to badmouth former LG. Especially someone who wasn’t good enough to be varsity college hoops.
2 for 5 from 3, 2 for 6 from the field, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, 2 personal fouls. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401637564

Bad-mouthing because you only post the worst stats, not just for Murphy. From her roster bio, her first year at Chatt, a pretty cut year after getting cut by the new coach:

"2021-22 Freshman
- Played in 28 games (missing two due to illness) and made nine starts.
- Scored a career-high 14 points against ETSU; averged 4.3 points per game.
- Pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds; had double-digit rebounds three times.
- Led team in blocked shots 12 times.
- Recorded a career-high six blocked shots against ETSU; had three on one possession.
- Second on the team in blocked shots with 31; fourth in the SoCon; 177th in the NCAA.
- Recorded two double-doubles.
- Five games with double-figure scoring.
- Made first collegiate start in her first game with the Mocs in the season-opener against Belmont."

You brought up Carroll's loss to Providence (as if they were a bad team), who won the conference tourney and made the NAIA tourney. Carroll is 26-5 and in the national semifinals against Provence. You can't give the 3 former LG at Carroll any props. Pickens had 24 points and 18 rebounds in her last game. Keller and Albrecht shot 4-5 from 3. 25 rebounds among the 3.

I have no doubt that all the recent former LG are happy to be away from Holsinger. That's not and never was my point. The point related to how they left, or were pushed out. Combined with how long it's taken the new LG to improve, and finally win 1 tourney game.

Coach H and the LG are in my rearview mirror. That's why I respond when people like you keep bringing up the former LG and do too much coach cheerleading from the likes of you. I like the players and not the coach, and don't like the cheerleading.
I am not sure why you keep giving us the impression that Pickens left or was cut because of Holsinger. She was gone long before Brian even came on board. The other two along with Pickens are doing great for Carroll. I would have loved to see what Pickens could do for a Div 1 school. I think she would have been a big factor but she chose her hometown and that was her choosing. By the way I am not a "cheerleader" for Holsinger. To date I think he has done a good job, but has not taken the Lady Griz to where they need to be--time will tell.

I am not sure why you keep giving us the impression that Pickens left or was cut because of Holsinger. She was gone long before Brian even came on board. The other two along with Pickens are doing great for Carroll. I would have loved to see what Pickens could do for a Div 1 school. I think she would have been a big factor but she chose her hometown and that was her choosing. By the way I am not a "cheerleader" for Holsinger. To date I think he has done a good job, but has not taken the Lady Griz to where they need to be--time will tell.
I haven’t been doing that. I have been discussing former LG. Please pay more attention before you post. Do you not realize that there are 3 former LG playing for Carroll, which is having a terrific season? Is it your view that if I discuss former LG at Carroll, I can only mention ones that left under the current coach. I don’t believe you have ever said anything critical of H, until now. Yet you have spoken up for him and against me, like you did above. An indirect cheerleader then, or close enough, in my view.

What’s your view on how H did in keeping Macey around?

I haven’t been doing that. I have been discussing former LG. Please pay more attention before you post. Do you not realize that there are 3 former LG playing for Carroll, which is having a terrific season? Is it your view that if I discuss former LG at Carroll, I can only mention ones that left under the current coach. I don’t believe you have ever said anything critical of H, until now. Yet you have spoken up for him and against me, like you did above. An indirect cheerleader then, or close enough, in my view.

What’s your view on how H did in keeping Macey arounI
I'm pretty sure everyone is happy for the former Lady Griz having success at a level more appropriate for their skill level. College athletics should be a great experience and I think for those former lady griz players, it has become just that.
Now, lets see if Coach H can work some portal magic because like it or not, its the reality of college athletics now.

Now, lets see if Coach H can work some portal magic because like it or not, its the reality of college athletics now.
For my part, not that it counts of course, but for opinion's sake I'd much rather see the LG recruit from the high school ranks than the 'Portal.' There's plenty of individual players, at least in the Northwest, out there in high school that are still uncommitted. At least until the second Wednesday in April...the regular signing period?

This is not a complaint over the individuals already in the system that came to us from the 'Portal.'

As far as I know there are now three openings on the LG roster that could be filled by the above date. Otherwise, if a high school athlete doesn't commit by that date then the best they can probably be is as a walk-on? If not mistaken.

What’s your view on how H did in keeping Macey around?
As for Coach H keeping Macey, I doubt if there was anything he could have done unless throw a bunch of NIL money at her. I think she wanted to play one season with her sister and then on to bigger and better things and that was her intent all along. She is a great talent and we will miss her but I don't think coach H is the reason she is gone

As for Coach H keeping Macey, I doubt if there was anything he could have done unless throw a bunch of NIL money at her. I think she wanted to play one season with her sister and then on to bigger and better things and that was her intent all along. She is a great talent and we will miss her but I don't think coach H is the reason she is gone
We have heard that older Huard is graduating this year with her 4 year degree. If that is true this explains the 1 and done from younger sister. Come play for a lower level MM program, play well against D1 comp and then improve your recruiting status. The times these days.

Will older Huard stay if she is truly graduating or will she too look for another opportunity? Either way Macy is gone and Haley could be as well if what we hear to be true.

Her family is pretty loaded from what I understand. I’d be shocked if any program would be providing a player of her caliber money that would be truly meaningful to her and her family. I think it’s all about playing at a higher level (Big 12, ACC, etc.).

One man's opinion: The Portal is what it is....come/go/whenever. Huard is an exceptional athlete, frosh with lots of BB gifts! But, her play is not finished business, plenty of turnovers, poor judgment forced ball play, particularly in the paint against big defenders. She's tall, great bounder, good shot, but she is not the build, to negotiate play as well against bigger, faster players.....yet. Glad she came to the LGriz, fun to watch, looked to be a developing player, one more season with us, might have turned her into a great player. All that said, wish her well with her BB and life futures!

Lets hope there are no more in the portal--those are two big losses and Coach H and his staff have lots of recruiting to do

Lets hope there are no more in the portal--those are two big losses and Coach H and his staff have lots of recruiting to do
You're not kidding. I can't help but feel bad for Brian and his staff. With the transfer portal now a factor (along with NIL to a lesser extent), it basically forces coaches to have to re-recruit their returning players after their season ends.

Waiting till the end of season to re-recruit your roster is to late.
As it stands at present, then, with whatever is going on, there are now counted nine players on the LG Roster that are still LG for next year; including Avery Waddington. So far. That leaves about five to six roster spots to fill in for next season. If three or four are recruits out of high school there's still room for a couple 'Portal' transfers besides. I can still name at least three hs recruits from the Northwest that haven't committed yet. And some of them are pretty damn good.

Back