• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Meth Lab may be Razed for New EWU Field.

EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I honestly don't know why they don't play in the Albi. Their stadium is a joke, and there is a decent one right up the road. They need to get over this pipe dream of having a decent facility on "campus."
Albi is a shithole......
Albi has been spruced up. But even in its worst imaginable condition, it is 1 million times better and preferable to Roos. And that is BEFORE that ridiculous red aberration against all that is good and right is considered.
There's a lot of history there, and it actually has great seating and lots of it (25,000+).

Albi is a shithole.....you can call Roos the biggest POS in the BSC...but Albi is not an improvement....true, it will seat more people.....but that doesn't make it good or even better.......

UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
Where is Laurel County.....
It is the name Spokane news media gives to stories out of Cheney, pretending it is somewhere else, so as not to tarnish what little reputation exists for Spokane County.

this is one of you dumbest posts ever......and that is really saying a lot.....

grizindabox said:
Albi is a shithole.....you can call Roos the biggest POS in the BSC...but Albi is not an improvement....true, it will seat more people.....but that doesn't make it good or even better.......

Box, have you been there in the last couple years? Admittedly it ain't The Mecca like WaGriz. But it's much, much better than this Cheney POS

EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:

Box, have you been there in the last couple years? Admittedly it ain't The Mecca like WaGriz. But it's much, much better than this Cheney POS

I have been there numerous times every year for the past 10......it is barely up to standards for high school sports....it is not much, much better....it is just larger.....

UMGriz75 said:
EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I honestly don't know why they don't play in the Albi. Their stadium is a joke, and there is a decent one right up the road. They need to get over this pipe dream of having a decent facility on "campus."
Albi is a shithole......
Albi has been spruced up. But even in its worst imaginable condition, it is 1 million times better and preferable to Roos. And that is BEFORE that ridiculous red aberration against all that is good and right is considered.
There's a lot of history there, and it actually has great seating and lots of it (25,000+).

Looks like a nice, gentleman's FCS facility.
This, however . . .
RoosSkyShot.jpg

CDAGRIZ said:
Looks like a nice, gentleman's FCS facility.
And Joe Albi is a "high school" facility. Interestingly it is more like UM's facility, "put the crowd on top of the game," as opposed to EWU's theory, "put the crowd out in the Palouse. Somewhere."

grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
Where is Laurel County.....
It is the name Spokane news media gives to stories out of Cheney, pretending it is somewhere else, so as not to tarnish what little reputation exists for Spokane County.
this is one of you dumbest posts ever......and that is really saying a lot.....
Fortunately, I cannot match your reputation, a well deserved one.

grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:

I have been there numerous times every year for the past 10......it is barely up to standards for high school sports....it is not much, much better....it is just larger.....

Grizindabox actually lives under the grandstands next to the bathrooms.....thats where he developes all his eternal pessimism from.....similar to oscar the grouch and his trash can home.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:

Grizindabox actually lives under the grandstands next to the bathrooms.....thats where he developes all his eternal pessimism from.....similar to oscar the grouch and his trash can home.
:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Here's the situation and many of you get it and some of you never will. Roos is 50 years old and is far beyond its years of being an adequate facility. It was a multipurpose facility built for crowds of 5,000 max. When built, crowds the size of what they've been the last few years were not even comprehensible. I think you'd have a hard time finding any EWU fan that would defend our current stadium with pride and think we don't need something more, but on the same point, the atmosphere is something to build on. Tailgating has exploded into 5 different lots and crowds are much larger than the stadium can handle quite frankly. Last season, the average regular season attendance was 9,578. Two of the five crowds were over 10,000 (MSU and Cal Poly). The year before, the average regular season attendance was 10,217 with four of the six being over 10,000 and two of the six being over 11,000 (UM and Idaho State). The old days in which EWU would only draw big crowds when the Montana's were in town are just not true anymore.

The answer however, is not moving home games to Albi. That place is still a dump and why would Eastern pour money into renovating a stadium that is 15 miles from campus rather than investing into a stadium on campus where student enrollment is now over 14,000? I don't know if the best answer is renovating Roos or starting from scratch and building a whole new stadium. Either way, everyone close to the program knows something must happen soon, because the demand is there and has been consistently growing each year since 2010. Nobody believes in building a stadium that seats 25-30 k. It's much more likely to build something in the 13-15 k range with room to expand in the future. The key will be the type of seating and the proximity of fans to the field to keep the atmosphere hostile and fun. EWU facilities will never be better than UM's, but they can at least be closer. It's crazy to see what EWU has been able to do with the current facilities and the sky is the limit if you invest in your programs.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:

my trashcan>>>>>your cardboard box......

Meh, they should just play at Joe Albi. No reason to build any type of facility in Cheney, WA. That would be a waste of money.

CDAGRIZ said:
Meh, they should just play at Joe Albi. No reason to build any type of facility in Cheney, WA. That would be a waste of money.

They should probably just drop the program.....they could buy a couple more old Macks or Kenworths for the truck mechanic's program....and offer chocolate milk on Fridays...

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They should probably just drop the program.....they could buy a couple more old Macks or Kenworths for the truck mechanic's program....and offer chocolate milk on Fridays...

Not a bad idea. Last time I had to visit that Godforsaken area, I think there was a Kenworth dealership off the freeway by an RV dealership. Maybe they could donate a repo. They would have a lot of transfers, though. Hell, I bet not even Copper Kuff would stick around.

ewueagle2010 said:
Last season, the average regular season attendance was 9,578. Two of the five crowds were over 10,000 (MSU and Cal Poly). The year before, the average regular season attendance was 10,217 with four of the six being over 10,000 and two of the six being over 11,000 (UM and Idaho State). The old days in which EWU would only draw big crowds when the Montana's were in town are just not true anymore. ...

The key will be the type of seating and the proximity of fans to the field to keep the atmosphere hostile and fun. EWU facilities will never be better than UM's, but they can at least be closer. It's crazy to see what EWU has been able to do with the current facilities and the sky is the limit if you invest in your programs.
I visit EWU a couple of times a year for my team sports, and have always enjoyed the experience. Despite the regular "fan banter," I admire the way that EWU has really come a long ways over the years, and is justifiably proud of its achievements.

Joe Albi could use some "tightening up" for sure. A million bucks would go a long ways there; the basic facility is a sound venue. It is a credit to its designers that it provides a serviceable facility after all these years compared to EWU's current facility which does not. A point of school pride is to have its own venue; but that certainly is an expensive alternative. The timing is certainly auspicious. With some outstanding examples of great venues now available, its an opportunity to design a small/medium size facility with outstanding characteristics and still leave room for future expansion.

UM's "investment in facilities" certainly paid off. It is a remarkable story, really. EWU may be at a place and point in time to be able to benefit from good hindsight and design in some good foresight. The proposed location is sweet for a stadium.

On the other hand, it is an expensive way to get rid of the red turf, which I suspect is the real motivation for all of this.

UMGriz75 said:
ewueagle2010 said:
On the other hand, it is an expensive way to get rid of the red turf, which I suspect is the real motivation for all of this.

;) I know you'd appreciate that, but it's not going anywhere! In fact, it's likely that you'll soon see a red soccer field, red tennis courts and possibly even a red softball field if that programs gets up and running.

Nobody gives two shits about whether EWU will build a new stadium or not...as long as you get rid of that red bullshit turf.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Nobody gives two shits about whether EWU will build a new stadium or not...as long as you get rid of that red bullshit turf.

I kind of hope they build a new stadium. About 20k or so capacity. Then, when they go 6-5 and miss the playoffs for a few years, they will get about 5.5k in attendance whilst the Future Spokane Club Promoters/DJs/Diesel Technicians play Call of Duty and go to Chipotle instead of going the game.

UMGriz75 said:
ewueagle2010 said:
Last season, the average regular season attendance was 9,578. Two of the five crowds were over 10,000 (MSU and Cal Poly). The year before, the average regular season attendance was 10,217 with four of the six being over 10,000 and two of the six being over 11,000 (UM and Idaho State). The old days in which EWU would only draw big crowds when the Montana's were in town are just not true anymore. ...

The key will be the type of seating and the proximity of fans to the field to keep the atmosphere hostile and fun. EWU facilities will never be better than UM's, but they can at least be closer. It's crazy to see what EWU has been able to do with the current facilities and the sky is the limit if you invest in your programs.
I visit EWU a couple of times a year for my team sports, and have always enjoyed the experience. Despite the regular "fan banter," I admire the way that EWU has really come a long ways over the years, and is justifiably proud of its achievements.

Joe Albi could use some "tightening up" for sure. A million bucks would go a long ways there; the basic facility is a sound venue. It is a credit to its designers that it provides a serviceable facility after all these years compared to EWU's current facility which does not. A point of school pride is to have its own venue; but that certainly is an expensive alternative. The timing is certainly auspicious. With some outstanding examples of great venues now available, its an opportunity to design a small/medium size facility with outstanding characteristics and still leave room for future expansion.

UM's "investment in facilities" certainly paid off. It is a remarkable story, really. EWU may be at a place and point in time to be able to benefit from good hindsight and design in some good foresight. The proposed location is sweet for a stadium.

Good Post...

Not sure what the deal with the Stadium is, we basically shot for the moon and had no backup plan, its somewhat a joke.

I highly doubt Eastern moves to Albi, its a big stadium that needs improvement, but Eastern will keep their games in Cheney from this point forward and they should. Unless you live in North Spokane, its almost just as easy to get to Cheney as it is to Albi anyways...

What Eastern needs to do is build a 5000 - 7000 seat set of bleachers on the visitors side, update the concessions and restrooms, and make it work. Eastern is a regional university, we don't have the financial backing of a flagship university, and we don't have a lot of big donors willing to put up a lot of money, at least not yet.

I am puzzled that EWU can build a multi million dollar ice arena when we don't have a damn hockey team but can't fork up the bucks to fix the stadium.

The Red turf isnt going anywhere...new stadium or not...

Back