• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

*My Top 10 FCS Stadiums & Bottom 10 FCS Stadiums*

This is a very cool thread!! Nicely done. I was expecting Sam Houston State in the bottom 10 somewhere tho lol

Probably a bottom 10 "just missed the cut" has to be ISU's Holt Arena.

- Oldest enclosed college dome/stadium in the US (1970).

- The arc of the dome curves with the field, not across it so the roof sinks toward the endzones. In fact the uprights hang from the roof. A high kicked fieldgoal runs the chance of bouncing off the ceiling before crossing the upright.

- When you sit in the seats (plastic multi-colored bucket seats) your shins hit the seats in front of you. Which is fine, until someone in your row has to leave. You either have to stand on your seat to let them past - or the whole row has to walk out to the steps to clear the way.

- It had friggin astro-turf until last year.

- The visitor locker-rooms are beyond the concessions, the visiting team has to walk through a concession concourse to walk down a ramp to get to the field.

- The benches are cut in underneath the seats.

holt-arena1.jpg

reg%206%20holt%20arena%20and%20scout%20mountain.gif

holt-arena-web.jpg

It does have one gigantic American Flag though, that's pretty cool.

Wow, it looks so much better with the new turf...almost bearable.

:lol: That 2nd pic didn't really do the awesome paint job justice....
holt-arena-1.jpg

mtgrizrule said:
kurtismichael said:
Waiting for Screamin Eagle to show up and ask why EWU's stadium was left off the list.....waiting......still waiting......and still waiting...... :coffee:

I think he knows they would be put on the bottom list here. I hope he is smart enough to not go there. I do like EWU's program and fans though. :thumb:

Eastern is a unique team and I enjoy having that in the BigSky. I like their overall desire to stay edgy with trick uniforms and consistent changes. As hard as the red turf is on the eyes you have to admit it's very unique. They also have just installed a state-of-the-art video scoreboard.

Roos Field has two major downfalls in my opinion, the track and the total capacity (8,600 or around 89th in the FCS). I'll take into consideration the unique red turf & high-tech video scoreboard. Even with a stadium capacity in the lower echelon Eastern ranked 48th in average attendance in 2011.

As of now I would rank Roos Field somewhere in the better side of bottom half of the FCS maybe around
75-80th.

If and when the gateway project is completed, it will supposedly raise Roos Fields capacity to 16,600. At that point the stadium will jump way up my list.
158032f5392f0e703a561d305864ef4a.jpg

NLGrizFan said:
This is a very cool thread!! Nicely done. I was expecting Sam Houston State in the bottom 10 somewhere tho lol

Have you been the Sam Houston stadium? I thought it was fine when I was there last year. I liked the grassy areas on the corners, where people could also sit.

The Yale Bowl is wood, and that's a negative. Look at the Ivy on the stadium on the outside. It's located far from the Yale campus. I wonder if the Rose Bowl was patterned a bit after the Yale Bowl.

60,820 at the Yale-Dartmouth game in 1970. Here's a link to a Sports Illustrated article on the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084268/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old Dominion in Norfolk VA has refurbished an older stadium into a very nice facility. New to the FCS, they are high on the attendance stats. At least Top 20...

BTW: There are no fewer than half a dozen Texas high school stadiums that would replace a like number of the best in the FCS.

DoubleNicks said:
Wow, it looks so much better with the new turf...almost bearable.

:lol: That 2nd pic didn't really do the awesome paint job justice....
holt-arena-1.jpg
I remember in 1980 driving to Vegas just out of high school, and one of my pre-planned stops was in Pocatello to see the "Mini Dome". Little did I know it looked like a "Safeway" grocery store. Back then, it was quite the Gem of the Big Sky Conference.

kurtismichael said:
Waiting for Screamin Eagle to show up and ask why EWU's stadium was left off the list.....waiting......still waiting......and still waiting...... :coffee:

His Mom cleans his room ( In the basement ) on Monday morning.

At least ISU has abandoned the erroneous dome nomenclature for arena. Meanwhile, the Kibbie Domers have not yet acknowledged they actually have an outdated quonset hut... :roll:

PlayerRep said:
NLGrizFan said:

Have you been the Sam Houston stadium? I thought it was fine when I was there last year. I liked the grassy areas on the corners, where people could also sit.

Sam Houston State
Elliott-T.-Bowers-Stadium-1.jpg

Elliott-T.-Bowers-Stadium-2.jpg

Silvertip said:
Old Dominion in Norfolk VA has refurbished an older stadium into a very nice facility. New to the FCS, they are high on the attendance stats. At least Top 20...

BTW: There are no fewer than half a dozen Texas high school stadiums that would replace a like number of the best in the FCS.

Old Dominion
Ballard_Stadium15.jpg

Ballard_Stadium8.jpg

old-dominion.jpg

odu.jpg

DoubleNicks said:
GrizLA said:
wbtfg said:
PSU may have the nicest stadium in the big sky.
UC Davis...
PSU
pge1.jpg

pge6.jpg

UC Davis
Aggie-Stadium.jpg

UC Davis future plans
Aggie-Stadium-2.jpg

Not trying to say it's the end all be all of sporting arenas, but Jeld-Wen since the rebuild is fantastic. Since they removed the baseball configuration, dugouts and all that garbage anyways. Sure, may have some wooden seating in the ends, but the new Key Bank Club, Budweiser Deck, nice seats and beer in general make this place a great spot to catch a sporting event.

6.jpg

z%20jwf.png

pussycatkillerz said:
mtgrizrule said:
kurtismichael said:

I think he knows they would be put on the bottom list here. I hope he is smart enough to not go there. I do like EWU's program and fans though. :thumb:

Eastern is a unique team and I enjoy having that in the BigSky. I like their overall desire to stay edgy with trick uniforms and consistent changes. As hard as the red turf is on the eyes you have to admit it's very unique. They also have just installed a state-of-the-art video scoreboard.

Roos Field has two major downfalls in my opinion, the track and the total capacity (8,600 or around 89th in the FCS). I'll take into consideration the unique red turf & high-tech video scoreboard. Even with a stadium capacity in the lower echelon Eastern ranked 48th in average attendance in 2011.

As of now I would rank Roos Field somewhere in the better side of bottom half of the FCS maybe around
75-80th.

If and when the gateway project is completed, it will supposedly raise Roos Fields capacity to 16,600. At that point the stadium will jump way up my list.
158032f5392f0e703a561d305864ef4a.jpg

This is pretty much spot on. Old Woodward Field was built back in the 60's and it was an ok small college football venue back then. When EWU transitioned from DII to 1AA in 1983 they moved the home games to Joe Albi, and Woodward was neglected for a very long time by several administrations that did not make athletics a priority. So when they made the decision to move all home games back to campus in the mid 2000's there was a lot of work to do. In 2004 they added the new pressbox, north end zone seating and re-did the entrance and locker rooms along with a few other things. The third phase of this project which inlcuded re-doing the east side stands was never completed due to a big donor backing out because of some argument over naming rights.

Fast forward a few years and we're now selling out games on a regular basis, averaging around 9500 or so this season. Even just a few years ago we wouldn't have sold out a game on a rainy weekend like last Saturday, but the culture has changed radically since then. Part of this is due to the NC, but I think it's mostly due a President and AD that "get it". The new field and new scoreboard/sound system are nice additions, but something like the Gateway Project is long overdue. The good news is that it sounds like this will be done sooner than later. They did an interview with Chaves at halftime of the Cal Poly game and he stated they are moving forward with an "ambitious timeline" to get it done. The plan calls for an "imposing structure" to be constructed on the east side of the stadium (Washington Street) which will add between 7-8k seats in two levels, football operation facility, locker rooms, concessions, new book store, and a myriad of other things. The other piece to this is that they plan to remove and relocate the track, and move the field closer to the west stands before they erect the new structure on the east side. Really excited about this, I think it will be one of the top FCS venues once complete and will help even more in recruiting. Seems like a lot of the pieces are coming together for EWU to continue to build it's program for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cats2506 said:
You know the fizz season is over when they start posting pic's of their stadium :shock:

I think it might have more to do with it being a bye week, but whatever the reason, it's a good read and your comment adds nothing. :hater:

Portland State's football set-up looks much better now that they have stands on the east side of the stadium.

6-1024x644.jpg

z%20jwf.png

Plus, in terms of location, it is unique in that you're literally downtown in a top 25 US market, and there is tons of stuff to do before and after games.

Their team sucks, though. :lol:

Back