• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

*My Top 10 FCS Stadiums & Bottom 10 FCS Stadiums*

Cats2506 said:
You know the fizz season is over when they start posting pic's of their stadium :shock:

You know it must still be before Griz-cat, IQ25.06 is still showing his face here. :shock:

I gotta give Old Dominion some props... Building a four-story parking garage 100 feet from the football stadium!!!

IMO, if Kidd Brewer got rid of the track, they would be #1!

Their weight room, Press Box, locker/equipment rooms, and campus are gorgeous!!

Building the Mini Dome was the single best and worst thing to happen to ISU athletics. It likely contributed to ISU's appearance in the Elite 8 and the championship season in football. It was a definite novelty. Of course, building it meant no additional facilities were built or improved and administrators stood pat for years... only recently realizing the college game had changed.

In hindsight, the old Spud Bowl should have been expanded and a basketball arena built. ISU fans are now stuck with these decisions because construction costs are now much different than 40 years ago. Still, I would rather watch a basketball game in Reed Gym (~3,200 capacity) and a football game at the Spud Bowl (site of a few spring games, ~4,000 seats) than anything in the antiquated Holt Arena.

Of course, growing up I thought Holt was the Taj.

Below, a couple of shots of Davis Field (Spud Bowl) from the recent Idaho State-Montana soccer championship.

Davis2_zps38ed0a24.png

Davis1_zps5d302ea2.png

BWahlberg said:
Probably a bottom 10 "just missed the cut" has to be ISU's Holt Arena.

- Oldest enclosed college dome/stadium in the US (1970).

- The arc of the dome curves with the field, not across it so the roof sinks toward the endzones. In fact the uprights hang from the roof. A high kicked fieldgoal runs the chance of bouncing off the ceiling before crossing the upright.

- When you sit in the seats (plastic multi-colored bucket seats) your shins hit the seats in front of you. Which is fine, until someone in your row has to leave. You either have to stand on your seat to let them past - or the whole row has to walk out to the steps to clear the way.

- It had friggin astro-turf until last year.

- The visitor locker-rooms are beyond the concessions, the visiting team has to walk through a concession concourse to walk down a ramp to get to the field.

- The benches are cut in underneath the seats.

holt-arena1.jpg

reg%206%20holt%20arena%20and%20scout%20mountain.gif

holt-arena-web.jpg

It does have one gigantic American Flag though, that's pretty cool.

PlayerRep said:
Thanks for doing this.

Here's some stadium history. Harvard stadium in 1903 was the first stadium built for football. Franklin Field in Philly was built in 1895, but was used for other things, and the original stadium was replaced over the turn of the century. It is believed that more football games have been played at Franklin Field than anywhere else. I would include Franklin Field (Penn) up there with Harvard and Yale stadiums. Palmer stadium/Princeton, which has been tore down, was a great stadium too.

The Yale Bowl used to seat over 70,000. Harvard once seated 57,000. Franklin Field 78,000. NFL teams have played in each of those stadiums at various times including as late as the early 70's. Palmer seated almost 50,000.

The standard width of the football field is what it is (an odd number), because that was a wide as it could be due to the concrete horseshoe bowl at Harvard stadium. Walter Camp wanted to widen the field to cut down on injuries, by 40 feet, but it could only be as wide as it is now. Football used to have a huge amount of deaths each year, in the old days (like turn of the century). Instead the forward pass was invented in 1906.

There is a lot of history in those 4 stadiums, as well as alot of good memories for this poster. I played a total of 9 times in those 3 stadiums. Dartmouth used to play at Harvard and Yale every year back in the day.

Who else saw this self-serving, douchefest of a post coming from a mile away? :thumb:

-Lord Disick

:D :clap:
Scott Disick said:
PlayerRep said:
Thanks for doing this.

Here's some stadium history. Harvard stadium in 1903 was the first stadium built for football. Franklin Field in Philly was built in 1895, but was used for other things, and the original stadium was replaced over the turn of the century. It is believed that more football games have been played at Franklin Field than anywhere else. I would include Franklin Field (Penn) up there with Harvard and Yale stadiums. Palmer stadium/Princeton, which has been tore down, was a great stadium too.

The Yale Bowl used to seat over 70,000. Harvard once seated 57,000. Franklin Field 78,000. NFL teams have played in each of those stadiums at various times including as late as the early 70's. Palmer seated almost 50,000.

The standard width of the football field is what it is (an odd number), because that was a wide as it could be due to the concrete horseshoe bowl at Harvard stadium. Walter Camp wanted to widen the field to cut down on injuries, by 40 feet, but it could only be as wide as it is now. Football used to have a huge amount of deaths each year, in the old days (like turn of the century). Instead the forward pass was invented in 1906.

There is a lot of history in those 4 stadiums, as well as alot of good memories for this poster. I played a total of 9 times in those 3 stadiums. Dartmouth used to play at Harvard and Yale every year back in the day.

Who else saw this self-serving, douchefest of a post coming from a mile away? :thumb:

-Lord Disick

I'll throw in my top 5 high school stadiums for fun:

#5 Ratliff Stadium: Odessa, Texas
Capacity: 19,302
980b62c5df763bf336d85adcd7dd53ac.jpg

#4 Mesquite Memorial Stadium: Mesquite, Texas
Capacity: 20,000
8e7130a527d237606aa555ecc75a7067.jpg
5975bbac62d40af7b27a91015371e059.jpg

#3 Stadium Bowl: Tacoma, Wash.
Capacity: 15,000
22e4eace1adb5f7ccaefd3fb38d33ce4.jpg

Previous Capacity: 32,000
a102bfba37f6c13fe98c501c6ab48a1f.jpg

#2 Fawcett Stadium: Canton, Ohio
Capacity: 22,400
Cost: 4.8 million
5335bde503097ec78dbd94b7aa6ebaef.jpg

853b6a663f2c2d07f13a77027b1b8ace.jpg

#1 Allen Eagle Stadium: Allen, Texas
Capacity: 18,000
Cost: $60 million!!!
48d839d704bd559b67323d4a01c176ca.jpg

4c1cd8003db7a9ae07fbc96eb1fa1c37.jpg

a874e5b1939dd52b40f35cef9dbf1aaa.jpg

027d101cb15e0b72c48f61377c5ed571.jpg

Grizmayor said:
Wasn't that Tacoma stadium in a movie called "Ten Things I Hate About You"? Looks familiar.
It was indeed. The high school building is over 100 years old. I was there about 10 years ago and one of the clay pipes had ruptured. Amazing building and stadium. I believe it was originally designed as a hotel.

havgrizfan said:
Stadium is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, Stadium High football is very BAD!

WTF do the stands angle away from the field?? Looks pretty stupid to me.

The track. I believe much of the Washington state track and field championships are held there. Hammer, I think the setting is what makes Stadium so cool. Friday night lights with Puget Sound mere feet away. It's pretty awesome in person. Their football team just sucks really bad.

Latest posts

Back