• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU vs Montana Game

GOJACKS2010 said:
I am sure this has been brought up many times, but you do know why our fanbase is MUCH smaller than yours right? Its because you compete with the southeastern Montana Tech division 2 troutfishing team, while we compete with ASU, UofA, arizona cardinals, phoenix suns, arizona diamondbacks, and the phoenix coyotes. Leave it to the average Joe and they would rather watch ASU vs. USC, rather than NAU vs. Montana State. But in Montana, average sports fan Joe wakes up and says"hmmmm.... I could either go to the grizzlies football game, or go watch the troutfishing squad take on Idaho Community College in a very heated matchup." I am pretty sure if NAU was the only big University in the state that we could pull 25,000 fans.
:jack: :whocares:

GOJACKS2010 said:
I am sure this has been brought up many times, but you do know why our fanbase is MUCH smaller than yours right? Its because you compete with the southeastern Montana Tech division 2 troutfishing team, while we compete with ASU, UofA, arizona cardinals, phoenix suns, arizona diamondbacks, and the phoenix coyotes. Leave it to the average Joe and they would rather watch ASU vs. USC, rather than NAU vs. Montana State. But in Montana, average sports fan Joe wakes up and says"hmmmm.... I could either go to the grizzlies football game, or go watch the troutfishing squad take on Idaho Community College in a very heated matchup." I am pretty sure if NAU was the only big University in the state that we could pull 25,000 fans.

Arizona population (July 2009 U.S. Census estimate): 6,595,778
Montana population (July 2009 U.S. Census estimate) : 974,989

So AZ has 6.7 times the population that MT has, yet you still can't draw a decent fanbase? Oh, yeah, I forgot, all 6+ million of them are at other games (my, what large stadia you have!).

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Or your team has a case of the "Can't Finish the Job, So Fans Don't Show" Syndrome.

You be the judge.

I'm very concerned about the way we have been winning. Like one fan said when I was in Spokane at the Swinging Doors pub, "We Griz fans aren't use to winning this way". There are more problems with this years team than I've seen for long time. NAU will be a butt load for the Griz to handle if they can. The Griz D is going to have keep us in the game once again. :|

All trashtalking aside I hope this will be a good football game. I do feel like this is the year for NAU to break the Souer's curse, but I have had feelings like this before. Last year we came off a big win at MSU during their homecoming, then we come home lose to the griz and lose the rest of the games. This has definetly been a recurring pattern. Good luck, and may the best team win. Go Jacks

CrunchGriz said:
GOJACKS2010 said:

Arizona population (July 2009 U.S. Census estimate): 6,595,778
Montana population (July 2009 U.S. Census estimate) : 974,989

So AZ has 6.7 times the population that MT has, yet you still can't draw a decent fanbase? Oh, yeah, I forgot, all 6+ million of them are at other games (my, what large stadia you have!).

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Or your team has a case of the "Can't Finish the Job, So Fans Don't Show" Syndrome.

You be the judge.

Nobody cares about FCS football when you have FBS options

This is too funny. The Jacks beat a deflated bobcat team and suddenly thier fanbase thinks they're the damn 1985 Chicago Bears. Then to top it off they talk like they have payton fu#@ing manning at qb. Don't get me wrong Herrick is a very good qb, but we have one of the the best if not the best secondary in the FCS. You guys keep talking about your awesome rush defense but your pass defense is what you should be worried about. The griz passing attack won't be off like it was last week. Ropes will carve up your secondary like a Thanksgiving turkey. To say WGS won't have any effect is retarded. Every team's fans say, we've played in bigger stadiums, we won't have any problem with the 25,000 of wa-griz. Then for some unknown reason they do. I remember a playoff game a few years back the espn crew had a db meter and WGS produced as much noise as Autzen Stadium. They said it would be like standing behind a jet as it takes off. I do think NAU will handle it ok, but there will be some miscues. I'm not delusional I think this will be a hard fought and close game. I just think it's a little early to anoint yourselves the new kings of the the Big Sky. When it comes down to it though I believe the griz will come away with another close victory, and you NAU fans will be left wondering how you got beat by such an inferior team.

GOJACKS2010 said:

Dude, outside of AZ NOBODY has heard of any of those teams...........other than USC.

wisdomgriz said:
[

BS to that. People care about Delaware and App St. There are lots of I-A teams in their general vicinities. People care about Southern and some of the teams in that conference. People care about the Harvard/Yale game, which often draws over 50,000 in the Yale bowl.

PlayerRep said:
wisdomgriz said:
[

BS to that. People care about Delaware and App St. There are lots of I-A teams in their general vicinities. People care about Southern and some of the teams in that conference. People care about the Harvard/Yale game, which often draws over 50,000 in the Yale bowl.

I think the FCS is more respected on the east coast. There are a lot of top tier and highly visable schools over there in the FCS division. Ivy League obviously. Then you have schools such as JMU, Georgetown, Villanova, UMass, the Citadel, Wofford, Richmond, etc... that are among the top academic schools in the country. On the west side of the country it seems like the FCS has more lower tier and commuter-type schools. What does this have to do with football?? More than you might think...

I don't think that anyone can say right now that this team is weaker than those of past years...the jury is still out. There are some areas that appear weaker, ie. special teams in particular, but I don't think this team can be ruled out yet. If NAU football believes as the NAU posters, they could be in for a surprise...and my guess they will want to blame it on Washington Grizzly Stadium!

GOJACKS2010 said:
The funny thing is that I know of more Wildcat fans in Montana than is typically displayed in your dome on any given Saturday minus one that UM fills over half the stadium and the minor blurp of fans that attended the game last weekend. Thanks for your explanation of who plays in Arizona. I appreciate the gesture.

NAU isn't even worth an egriz pep rally. As fast as pee runs down my toddler's leg, so too should this topic. We all know the Jacks record outside of outdated dome. On Saturday it will rain, Moses however will not part any sea's. All we need is a quick Yogi appearance, Hammer will finally return (thank god), we can close this topic and the Griz will win. Enough said.

GOJACKS2010 said:

Guess what. This might come as a shock to you, but they actually have TV in Montana. So, those average joe fans could "choose" to watch UW/USC or WSU/Oregon or BYU/Utah or Colorado/Nebraska....but they "choose" to go to their OWN game instead.

It's called "being a fan".

I am a very long time supporter of NAU Football. I went to school there. I have seen the good the bad and the ugly. One thing you Griz fans should know, that I have never seen a more dominant performance against a top team (35-7 win over Montana State) . I have never seen our team so hungry for victory. They are coming into Missoula with lots of confidence and with the hunger to take down the Griz.The Jacks have an amazing defense, and have shown how great our offense can be. I think it is time that Griz fans get a gut check. It is time for you to realize that your football team is not better than everyone else. I think that Saturday will be a battle for the ages with the Lumberjacks coming out on top. We have such a balanced attack that you will have no way of stopping us. Your team thinks that they are just going to roll over us like they have in the past but let them know they have another thing coming. The Lumberjack Express is rolling down the tracks at full speed and so I end with this. Hey Griz, Don't stand on the tracks when the train is coming through. Go Jacks!!!!!!!

I'm not worried, EWU gave up five fumbles and still whipped you. We should've beat EWU...you sound like like your ready for the PAC.

Here is my prediction for saturday, At first light I will have my eyes on a nice 4x4 of 4x5 desert mulie, i will get a double lung shot by ten, and then spend the rest of my day either sitting at camp, or out hunting quail. I will have cell service out there so someone text me the score of the jacks game.

GOJACKS2010 said:
Choo chooooooo!

You probably didn't realize it when you posted, but you just demonstrated how out of touch with the FCS playoffs you truly are. The championship game isn't in Chattanooga this year--it's in Frisco, Texas; and it's not even going to happen this year (I'll let you figure out what that means).

A few random thoughts on this thread:

I didn't know there were this many NAU fans who give a shit.

Those fans have a LOT to learn about smack talking. Please, take the weak-assed crap somewhere else. Bring your A game to this board or don't come at all.

It's been "awhile" since NAU has beaten UM at Wa-Griz? NO, sorry. It's been NEVER that NAU has beaten UM at Wa-Griz.

I do think it's humorous that NAU fans finally come to this board when their team is as good as it's been in 30 years, and the Griz team is likely as bad as it's been in 30 years.

This should be a great game.

I wonder how many of these NAU fans will be back on this board come Sunday? My guess would be one (MtJack).

As for ASU, Arizona, Cardinal and Dback fans, Pullleeeassse. I've been to games in all of those places, and I've seen more enthusiastic fans at chess matches. I've been in louder libraries. Those fans must take their clues from the drivers in Phoenix, all of whom exceed 80 in age, but never get past 40 on the speedometer.

I bet it's going to be loud in there on Saturday.

Glad to see enthusiasm from at least a few NAU fans but I can't help but wonder if these guys will be back after Sunday though. I hope they're back and get involved in other forums (NAU's, anygivensaturday, championshipsubvidision). God knows that egriz has it's share of loud and proud with a keyboard so it's certainly not a stretch to expect that other fanbases have the same. These folks could be here merely to rile up the Griz masses? Talking smack due to their dislike of the Griz after years of being on the ass end of 12 years of losses? Whatever. It is what it is...a few fans trying to get pumped up for a big game. Weeks leading up to games like this are fun but help remind me that it is just a game.

Don't go making blanket statements/generalizations about fan bases. I'm yet to come on here and talk shiznit. A sizeable representation on egriz seems incapable of painting Griz Nation in a positive, reasonable light either.

Lots of bagging on NAU's (lack of) support for football. Their students do their part. They have brought it the last few seasons. The community hasn't. They're the ones not showing up. Every Griz/Bobcats game gets tv coverage in a state with no market competition. NAU gets a few games on tape-delay mid day on Wednesdays throughout the course of the season. Even when NAU plays decent, it's all about the Sundevils and Wildcats down here. Yes, the fans in Flagstaff don't show up when they have a decent local product to support but Arizona and Montana are apples and oranges in comparison.

Til tomorrow evening.

Back