• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Big Sky / ROOT Sports TV Contract

Fat Bruno said:
This keeps coming up. I have Amazon Prime but cannot get ESPN3 because my ISP does not carry it.
You can sign in to ESPN3 with more than just your ISP credentials, as has been stated.

WAaggieFan said:
'68griz said:
grizband said:
Would love to see an ESPN3 deal similar to the agreement with the MVFC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
A goodly portion of Montana does not get ESPN3, which is something of a drawback. I, for instance, can get it only on my Kindle.
Is SlingTV not offered in Montana? My understanding is that pretty much anyone with Internet and a streaming device can get SlingTV with ESPN3.

posted via telepathy

Don't know anything about SlingTV, if it's available, can one get Root sports on Sling?

1972 said:
WAaggieFan said:
'68griz said:
grizband said:
Would love to see an ESPN3 deal similar to the agreement with the MVFC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
A goodly portion of Montana does not get ESPN3, which is something of a drawback. I, for instance, can get it only on my Kindle.
Is SlingTV not offered in Montana? My understanding is that pretty much anyone with Internet and a streaming device can get SlingTV with ESPN3.

posted via telepathy

Don't know anything about SlingTV, if it's available, can one get Root sports on Sling?
It is available to anyone with internet access and a streaming device. Root is not one of the channels they offer.
https://www.sling.com/watchnow?lp=m...oup=Sling TV&gclid=CPr7oobLg84CFZJcfgody-0L5w

posted via telepathy

WAaggieFan said:
1972 said:
WAaggieFan said:
'68griz said:

posted via telepathy

It is available to anyone with internet access and a streaming device. Root is not one of the channels they offer.
https://www.sling.com/watchnow?lp=m...oup=Sling TV&gclid=CPr7oobLg84CFZJcfgody-0L5w

posted via telepathy

If I'm understanding this right, with SlingTV, still can't stream Root?

1972 said:
WAaggieFan said:
1972 said:
WAaggieFan said:

posted via telepathy

posted via telepathy

If I'm understanding this right, with SlingTV, still can't stream Root?
That's exactly right. I was only responding to the claim that a 'goodly portion of Montana' can indeed get ESPN3. I've never intimated that Root is on SlingTV; Only ESPN. And, therefore, if you have SlingTV you can watch ESPN3 using those credentials in WatchESPN. Virtually all of Montana can do that.

posted via telepathy

Just seems a bummer that the bsc has no interest in their fans that don't live in the northwest. Heaven forbid you go to college in the bsc and get a job on the east coast

Eriul said:
Just seems a bummer that the bsc has no interest in their fans that don't live in the northwest. Heaven forbid you go to college in the bsc and get a job on the east coast

I don't buy that they have no interest.....the priority of the Conference as a whole is to get games on a regional sports network.....that leaves limited options and therefore a lack of leverage....until the Conference determines that streaming is a priority over regional sports television.....it sucks to live outside the Root broadcasting footprint...

People, ROOT is available in nearly every TV market in the country. Yes, you might have to pay a few bucks a month for a sports package (or go to a bar if you've cut the cord). But I've watched Mariner games on Root in places you've never heard of. If you have cable or satellite, you can get Root NW. It's far easier (and better) than trying to get the FTA signal or worrying about slow internet connections.

EverettGriz said:
People, ROOT is available in nearly every TV market in the country. Yes, you might have to pay a few bucks a month for a sports package (or go to a bar if you've cut the cord). But I've watched Mariner games on Root in places you've never heard of. If you have cable or satellite, you can get Root NW. It's far easier (and better) than trying to get the FTA signal or worrying about slow internet connections.

Everett.....Everett.....Everett.....I think you may have missed the point....

According to their website, Root Sports currently serves: Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. The Rocky Mountain Region of Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona. All of Pennselvanyia except Philadelphia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, the D.C. market, Kentucky and Northern Tennessee. And, 4.2 million households in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. In all, Root was in 11.1 million households in 2016 according to their site. That's pretty good if you ask me.

EverettGriz

You still don't get it. There are out of staters like me who don't want to pay the high costs of DirectTV in our areas. We are outside the NW Root footprint. To me it is cheaper to pay a full ticket price to stream a game for the 5 +/- games that Root carries of UM than to pay for a 1-2 year commitment for a service we won't use day-to-day. To me Grizindabox got it right.

havgrizfan said:
According to their website, Root Sports currently serves: Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. The Rocky Mountain Region of Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona. All of Pennselvanyia except Philadelphia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, the D.C. market, Kentucky and Northern Tennessee. And, 4.2 million households in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. In all, Root was in 11.1 million households in 2016 according to their site. That's pretty good if you ask me.

There are about a 100 million households with cable a access in the US. So yes, a little more than 10% of the potential market as a regional sports carrier isn't too bad. I had forgotten that AT&T now owns root, which may mean that there could be a philosophical change concerning streaming @ some point. One can only hope.

Bgbigdog,

If UM wants to increase its fan base outside the Northwest it has to allow avid fans & alumni like me who reside out of state access to Griz football. Not everyone lives in the Northwest.

SoCal Surfer said:
Bgbigdog,

If UM wants to increase its fan base outside the Northwest it has to allow avid fans & alumni like me who reside out of state access to Griz football. Not everyone lives in the Northwest.

I live in Chicagoland so I get it. The U would love it, no doubt. But beggars are seldom choosers. The BSC has zero leverage since there were no other offers. And as such, feel lucky to have regional coverage @ this point. My point is that AT&T isn't Root, not the same revenue perspectives or thinking so we might see something we would both appreciate down the road.

EverettGriz

In my area of Texas (San Antonio/New Braunfels) most sport bars don't carry Root or UM games. Texas AM, UT, Texas State, UTSA and others get most of the attention. I personally visited about 5 major sport bars in my area seeking for them to show our games and each said to me they weren't interested in UM as it wasn't a draw. So, to me as a fan I look to streaming.

SoCal Surfer said:
EverettGriz

In my area of Texas (San Antonio/New Braunfels) most sport bars don't carry Root or UM games. Texas AM, UT, Texas State, UTSA and others get most of the attention. I personally visited about 5 major sport bars in my area seeking for them to show our games and each said to me they weren't interested in UM as it wasn't a draw. So, to me as a fan I look to streaming.

Maybe it's Texans, but I travel extensively and have never had difficulty with a half way decent sports bar putting a game I wish to watch on at least one TV. I often even call ahead if I think there will be an issue or conflict.

The point is -- which I clearly have not missed, Box -- is that Root will NOT stream their games, so you'd better get creative.

EverettGriz said:
SoCal Surfer said:
EverettGriz

Maybe it's Texans, but I travel extensively and have never had difficulty with a half way decent sports bar putting a game I wish to watch on at least one TV. I often even call ahead if I think there will be an issue or conflict.

The point is -- which I clearly have not missed, Box -- is that Root will NOT stream their games, so you'd better get creative.

No Everett....the point was that not everyone has access to Root....for a variety of reasons.....and would like a streaming option....you stated:
....which completely dismisses the point that many were trying to make....hence why I said you missed the point....

No, the point, which I made early in this thread and in every other one of these that crop up every 3 months, is that Root will NOT stream their games, as it negates the ONLY reason they broadcast the games.

Would it be nice to have a streaming option? Sure what the fuck. Frankly I'd like to have a different SI swimsuit model every night of the week, too.

Sadly I do not, so I have to be creative, and bitching about it does no good. This scenario is exactly the same

Back