• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Big Sky / ROOT Sports TV Contract

EverettGriz said:
No, the point, which I made early in this thread and in every other one of these that crop up every 3 months, is that Root will NOT stream their games, as it negates the ONLY reason they broadcast the games.

Would it be nice to have a streaming option? Sure what the f***. Frankly I'd like to have a different SI swimsuit model every night of the week, too.

Sadly I do not, so I have to be creative, and bitching about it does no good. This scenario is exactly the same

2444945-5903787721-19123.jpg

"Most of the Big Sky will probably complain about a new TV deal and complain about not getting any air time and that it's all Montana, but until the rest of the Big Sky starts filling up their own stadiums and actually grows fan support, it's going to stay the same. "

EWU has solid representation on Root. The only thing holding them back from increasing attendance is stadium size... I think PSU got a bit of a jump in airtime this year too but not quite as much as EWU and the Montanas have.

The thing I'll bitch about is not having a streaming option. I had to get Root via Direct TV but we dropped satellite entirely a few months ago. It's tough to justify paying $70 a month when we mostly watch Netflix and Hulu anyways. Hopefully Root will enter the 21st century with a viable streaming option but I think they're partially owned by Comcast, so I won't be holding my breath...

EverettGriz said:
No, the point, which I made early in this thread and in every other one of these that crop up every 3 months, is that Root will NOT stream their games, as it negates the ONLY reason they broadcast the games.

Would it be nice to have a streaming option? Sure what the f***. Frankly I'd like to have a different SI swimsuit model every night of the week, too.

Sadly I do not, so I have to be creative, and bitching about it does no good. This scenario is exactly the same

Just FYI here, you CAN get a new SI model every month...ONLINE. Just not Griz games via ROOTS.

kemajic & grizfnz,

One gets what they pay for or are willing to pay for. For me I won't pay for DirectTV on a contract. I will pay for streaming up to the current ticket price for Root games. I will subscribe to the Missoulaian for the football season and read about the games when I can't watch. I'm not bitching - merely stating what many out of staters feel. In-staters don't think its a big deal; but, to us out of state it is a big deal. I'm merley making a request to those in power to consider streaming.

SoCal Surfer said:
EverettGriz

In my area of Texas (San Antonio/New Braunfels) most sport bars don't carry Root or UM games. Texas AM, UT, Texas State, UTSA and others get most of the attention. I personally visited about 5 major sport bars in my area seeking for them to show our games and each said to me they weren't interested in UM as it wasn't a draw. So, to me as a fan I look to streaming.

Last time I was in the Texas Firehouse sports bar (in Amarillo), I asked them to put one set on a Griz game and then enjoyed a Moose Drool to boot.

Hello all EGriz fans,

I'm just a "old fart". I attended the UM as a student in the 60's. I don't know the best ways of viewing UM football. I'm just passing along my way and my vision. I personally attend typically 1 game a year at UM. The total costs to me are about $1,100 (airfare + hotel + meals + ticket). This is the homecoming game. Our UM alumni association provides the tickets to me.

Every year I donate to UM (GSA, UM Foundation, etc.) I don't know if EGriz members know the ROTC (Military Science Dept) is upgrading its cannon. It is also installing a new "Hall of Fame" addition to its area. I donated to both causes. I would suggest a donation if you have the money. I received my "Butter Bars" from UM when I graduated. To those that don't know what I mean - I was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in US Army during the Vietnam era.

What I like about UM - they sent me a personal card of "Thanks" after each donation.

The point I'm trying to make is don't belittle those that see/view things differently. We can be as passionate as you as a fan. We just see things differently.

Go Griz

I'm a recently-converted supporter of the Root Sports deal.

I've lived on the east coast for 15 years now, and for most of that time, I've been watching Griz games on my laptop. I watched games on mtgriz.com, back when they were streaming every game for free. I watched games on bigskytv, back when it really, really sucked (and later, when it improved). And when the Root deal was signed, and my cable provider didn't carry it, I bitched about the lack of a streaming option. I wrote letters and emails to various people, in the hope that either my cable company would start offering Root, or somebody would offer a streaming option. After several years of missing every good Griz game, I finally gave in last year and got DirecTV, and it was the best decision I've made in a while.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but you do not have to have the sports package on Direct tv to get the Big sky game of the week they are aired on the audience channel.

Mavman said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned but you do not have to have the sports package on Direct tv to get the Big sky game of the week they are aired on the audience channel.

No guarantee, but if you get Audience on AT&T, you might have the same luck as the Direct TV situation when it comes to Root - as I did living in Chicagoland last year.

I have heard that roots may have some financial challenges in competing in the sports package market. They are not in big population centers and are limited in ad revenue pricing. Streaming services are becoming popular but they pay pennies for broadcasting rights and have no plans in upping the ante. I seriously doubt big sky will be able to negrociate any meaningful contract that will be a revenue enhancer for its members. Roots has been bought and sold a couple of times in the recent past. I would be holding my breath if I were the big sky.

I live in the Denver area and Root works great on Comcast. It's included in my pretty basic package. Production is excellent. My issue is about the games not on Root. Any streaming for these games?, some are non conference.

mcg said:
I live in the Denver area and Root works great on Comcast. It's included in my pretty basic package. Production is excellent. My issue is about the games not on Root. Any streaming for these games?, some are non conference.

Any conference game not on ROOT Sports is streamed online on (whatever it's called now). It used to be called watchbigsky. As for non conference, streaming depends on who is airing it. Most of the time those are available online as well.

get'em_griz said:
mcg said:

Any conference game not on ROOT Sports is streamed online on (whatever it's called now). It used to be called watchbigsky. As for non conference, streaming depends on who is airing it. Most of the time those are available online as well.

Thanks, that will generally work well for me.

When the Griz are on the road I go hunting. No problem I just dial in The radio and Mick brings it to me almost like being right there....er....ah...Come to think of it I'm screwed now.

Back