• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New spring roster and position changes.

Article on Hill moving to TE....

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/they-needed-me-caleb-hill-now-suiting-up-at-tight/article_17a0f3b6-7776-50d5-b65d-3cd7f5b21e88.html

Grizzly96 said:

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/they-needed-me-caleb-hill-now-suiting-up-at-tight/article_17a0f3b6-7776-50d5-b65d-3cd7f5b21e88.html

This is exactly what hauck was talking about. We have to get the best athletes on the field. While Hill struggled getting time and reps at QB he had a special ability to run with the ball, make people miss and had the heart to play. Get him to TE get him the ball and let him make some plays. Props to him on accepting the role and stepping up

mtgrizfankb said:
Grizzly96 said:

This is exactly what hauck was talking about. We have to get the best athletes on the field. While Hill struggled getting time and reps at QB he had a special ability to run with the ball, make people miss and had the heart to play. Get him to TE get him the ball and let him make some plays. Props to him on accepting the role and stepping up

Hill is the type that puts his words into action.....team above self.....not seen enough in these days in my mind.....he is also a heck of an athlete,,,anyone who saw him run last spring game knows he could be a real difference maker after the catch....big, fast, strong, a runners instinct and leadership attitude by example, just what bobby and this team is looking for in a griz,,,,,,whats not to like about this kid imo.....

Great to see the last year's departing SR's set the tone for "team 1st". Simis, Sprunk, and Ralston all willingly changed positions and busted ass to become the best they could be for their team.

It might have been interesting to see Hill at Safety in his final season....

brewskis said:
The most curious move is Nagler to LB....in my opinion at least. Why not TE? He’s a hell of an athlete, I hope he adjusts well and gets on the field soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you answered your own question, he's a hell of an athlete.

We need great athletes at OLB too.

go96griz said:
Heard today that Vika was moved to fullback. That surprises me!

Where are the posters who were saying that Vika was better than Strahm at the beginning of last year?

go96griz said:

Yep. Also, McKenzie Holt is playing tackle, undersized, but very athletic. Longoria is one of the wider body o-linemen. Guessing he'll stick. We'll definitely need to recruit hard on the interior d-line this year with three guys graduating after this year. Thayne Jackson was padded up, but obviously non contact until fall. Vika makes sense to me with the defense we're employing. Not sure there will be a traditional middle lb in our defense.

Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

Yep. Also, McKenzie Holt is playing tackle, undersized, but very athletic. Longoria is one of the wider body o-linemen. Guessing he'll stick. We'll definitely need to recruit hard on the interior d-line this year with three guys graduating after this year. Thayne Jackson was padded up, but obviously non contact until fall. Vika makes sense to me with the defense we're employing. Not sure there will be a traditional middle lb in our defense.

Wow, interesting on Vika. I hope they move him back eventually. Holt doesn’t really surprise me that’s where a lot of people saw him eventually going but he’s going to have to add 50 or so pounds there to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

Thanks for the info!!

Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

Not sure there will be a traditional middle lb in our defense.

What’s a traditional MLB? I’m not sure you’ve seen traditional since McSurdy. This defense has a middle backer.

bgbigdog said:
Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

What’s a traditional MLB? I’m not sure you’ve seen traditional since McSurdy. This defense has a middle backer.
Without going into scheme and personel too much the third safety often acts as a fourth linebacker. A traditional middle linebacker would generally be a little heavier, run stopping guy. It's a generalization. Some on here were high on Dante Olson, Vika, and Trace LaTexier at the lb spot. As I already stated, imo, this defense does not rely on that type of linebacker, hence they were moved. Call it whatever you want, slower, bigger, I called it a traditional MLB role based on body type, sideline to sideline speed, and coverage skills. To sum it up, with the defense we're employing, I am not surprised any of these guys are getting tried at other positions.

bgbigdog said:
Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

I would say Kose played a pretty traditional MLB. I would also say that many teams that go 33 Stack use a large MIKE backer because most time the NT is facing a double team and is responsible for one A gap meaning you need a body big enough to at least battle the other guard in the other A gap. Though sometimes the backside end is charged with crashing down and letting the middle linebacker pursue.

SaskGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
Alaska Griz said:
go96griz said:

I would say Kose played a pretty traditional MLB. I would also say that many teams that go 33 Stack use a large MIKE backer because most time the NT is facing a double team and is responsible for one A gap meaning you need a body big enough to at least battle the other guard in the other A gap. Though sometimes the backside end is charged with crashing down and letting the middle linebacker pursue.

I just dissed Kose, and that’s on me. He was pretty traditional. And “ikenay”on the “akstay” 33. Fine football acumen my friend, but you’re gonna get us band or cause a media blackout if you aren’t careful. :thumb:

Love Nagler's move to OLB for two reasons. One being we are going to have TEs coming out of our ass pretty soon. It will be the too many position, like WR was. Hah. And two being Nagler will be an athletic OLB that is good in pass defense being that he has receiver skills. His height and ability to run will rival that of one of the Grizzlies all-time leading tacklers...the 6-foot-5, 227-pound Tyler Joyce.

ddd2f4ec-66c8-56f2-9f31-e48340964842.image.jpg

From Billings Gazette: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/griz-linebacker-tyler-joyce-plays-a-good-game-then-writes/article_c278342c-1e4e-5261-91db-d9f344c14910.html
Montana coach Bobby Hauck is well aware of the impact Joyce makes for the Griz.
"Tyler is a smart player," Hauck said. "He's intense and is a real physical presence on field. It's good to have him on our defense. He brings a lot of things to the plate as a linebacker."
It's a wonder the Grizzlies were lucky enough to get Joyce.
As a junior at Overland High School in Aurora, Colo., Joyce was one of the most highly touted players in his state and was ranked in the top 20 nationally for prep linebackers.
But going into his senior year, Joyce had suffered some injuries and the bigger schools that were courting him shied away.
"Some of the schools looking at me were Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Colorado and Colorado State," Joyce says. "Then I had some shoulder problems going into my senior year, and that sort of held me back in some camps, and a lot of those teams fell off.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Love Nagler's move to OLB for two reasons. One being we are going to have TEs coming out of our ass pretty soon. It will be the too many position, like WR was. Hah. And two being Nagler will be an athletic OLB that is good in pass defense being that he has receiver skills. His height and ability to run will rival that of one of the Grizzlies all-time leading tacklers...the 6-foot-5, 227-pound Tyler Joyce.

From Billings Gazette: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/griz-linebacker-tyler-joyce-plays-a-good-game-then-writes/article_c278342c-1e4e-5261-91db-d9f344c14910.html
"Tyler is a smart player," Hauck said. "He's intense and is a real physical presence on field. It's good to have him on our defense. He brings a lot of things to the plate as a linebacker."
As a junior at Overland High School in Aurora, Colo., Joyce was one of the most highly touted players in his state and was ranked in the top 20 nationally for prep linebackers.
But going into his senior year, Joyce had suffered some injuries and the bigger schools that were courting him shied away.
"Some of the schools looking at me were Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Colorado and Colorado State," Joyce says. "Then I had some shoulder problems going into my senior year, and that sort of held me back in some camps, and a lot of those teams fell off.

side note...imo that is the best looking uniform we have ever had, period.

krammer said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

side note...imo that is the best looking uniform we have ever had, period.
And you could read the numbers from the upper deck.

Back