• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Project?

Doesn't the heat for the entire campus originate there? Seems like one of those "easier said than done" propositions if that's the case.

Htowngriz said:
Doesn't the heat for the entire campus originate there? Seems like one of those "easier said than done" propositions if that's the case.

Not positive, but I think the heat plant is the building that sits between Aber Hall and the stadium, with the smoke-stack.

Htowngriz said:
The Heating plant is directly north of Aber Hall. Hard to see in the photo, but it is safely out of the way of the maintenance area. If I recall correctly, the "Facility Services" was a "temporary" facility, and so it didn't even get its own tunnel from the Heating Plant. As time passed, "temporary" became "permanent." The large rusted roof structure is just an eyesore, I almost stopped and took a photo of it last night, it was just so hideous for an otherwise beautiful location on a spectacular Missoula evening.

A well-designed Practice Facility really could make that a spectacular part of Campus, and add some parking, and make more tailgate area available as well.

UMGriz75 said:
Htowngriz said:
The Heating plant is directly north of Aber Hall. Hard to see in the photo, but it is safely out of the way of the maintenance area. If I recall correctly, the "Facility Services" was a "temporary" facility, and so it didn't even get its own tunnel from the Heating Plant. As time passed, "temporary" became "permanent." The large rusted roof structure is just an eyesore, I almost stopped and took a photo of it last night, it was just so hideous for an otherwise beautiful location on a spectacular Missoula evening.

A well-designed Practice Facility really could make that a spectacular part of Campus, and add some parking, and make more tailgate area available as well.

The problem, as always, is $$$. $$$ for the practice facility, plus $$$ to build the relocated facility services.

maroonandsilver said:
The problem, as always, is $$$. $$$ for the practice facility, plus $$$ to build the relocated facility services.
Nothing could have, at this point, quite the impact of moving Facilities Services and making that site a visual "gateway" to UM. Facilities Services is an antiquated facility. It's replacement is justified. It's high state of "eyesoreness" should make it a priority. That works nicely in tandem for the need for the Indoor Practice Facility both in terms of timing and location. It also follows the long term plan of keeping the sports facilities organized on the northeast side of campus; a plan first implemented with the 1950s construction of the Field House, the Swimming Pool, the Ice Skating Rink, Tennis Courts, and the Women's Gym, and followed with an uncharacteristic and remarkable continuity with the outstanding Campus Rec facilities, Football Stadium, and Auxiliary Gyms, and then, the Student/Athlete Study Facility, and, finally, Champions Center.

The Legislature almost seemed ready last session to give the go-ahead for a variety of these upgrade projects on the various campuses until the bust over the "infrastructure" bill. If its going to be there in ten years, something like that needs to start "now." But, it needs planning and it needs vision. Unfortunately, no one in Main Hall has been able to offer that kind of planning and vision for the past six years; the impetus for new projects coming not from Main Hall talents in fundraising or ideas, but in donor initiatives and Athletic Department leadership.

Htowngriz said:
I believe Moo U recently turned down the opportunity to get a med school?

I am not informed on it but I think it was a private med school looking to build it in Bozeman and they want to be able to piggy back off another Universities facilities. Example being, letting their students use the gym and rec center. It wouldn't be affiliated with the University too much more than that. I believe that same school was looking at Missoula & Great Falls as well.

blackfootipa said:
Htowngriz said:
I believe Moo U recently turned down the opportunity to get a med school?
I am not informed on it but I think it was a private med school looking to build it in Bozeman and they want to be able to piggy back off another Universities facilities. Example being, letting their students use the gym and rec center. It wouldn't be affiliated with the University too much more than that. I believe that same school was looking at Missoula & Great Falls as well.
Local doctors shot down the proposals in both locations.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/for-profit-company-decides-against-opening-medical-school-in-missoula/article_b205bd8c-3c96-5eb4-b123-0db8fefd5455.html

griz5700 said:
I've said this before, and I know it's a pipe dream, but has it ever been considered to either move part, or all of the physical plant to say, East Broadway or something? That is such an awesome piece of land -- it seems like a waste to use it for storage of doors, signs, and desks. I know they do a lot more there, but c'mon.. That's a great piece of property.

Put a football practice facility, park, student housing, education building, just anything other than the physical plant. Just a thought...

general-aerial-view-of-washingtongrizzly-stadium-during-a-montana-picture-id124888149

I like the rusty roof look, its rustic.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I think it would be beneficial for 75, PR and a few others if these were installed in designated men's restrooms
As usual, showing up to derail a thread. I am sure Payton will get right on it.

On the other hand, I always suspected you were both a user and a distributor. Nice looking machines you have there. Did you design them yourself? Putting years of practice to good use?

UMGriz75 said:
griz5700 said:
I've been harping on it for years. The single most scenic spot in the Missoula Valley, the literal Gateway to the University of Montana, and ... it hosts a maintenance facility. It is practically bizarre that it is not a priority to get Physical Plant out of there.

Anyone else notice the "Jeannette Rankin Park" on the south side of Madison Bridge lately? It's another "gateway" to Missoula that's just an ugly mess the past couple years. Used to have grass they watered and a couple flower gardens. Now weeds and dirt.

Maybe we'll get to pass another $40 million park bond to help fix that up. Think it turned to weeds and dirt about the time we passed that last bond.

Mousegriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
griz5700 said:
I've been harping on it for years. The single most scenic spot in the Missoula Valley, the literal Gateway to the University of Montana, and ... it hosts a maintenance facility. It is practically bizarre that it is not a priority to get Physical Plant out of there.

Anyone else notice the "Jeannette Rankin Park" on the south side of Madison Bridge lately? It's another "gateway" to Missoula that's just an ugly mess the past couple years. Used to have grass they watered and a couple flower gardens. Now weeds and dirt.

Maybe we'll get to pass another $40 million park bond to help fix that up. Think it turned to weeds and dirt about the time we passed that last bond.

Looks more like a war zone than a park. Jeanette would be peacefully pissed off.

UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I think it would be beneficial for 75, PR and a few others if these were installed in designated men's restrooms

On the other hand, I always suspected you were both a user and a distributor. Nice looking machines you have there. Did you design them yourself? Putting years of practice to good use?

I even made sure it meets ADA requirements, so you should be set.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, seeing as how it was thoroughly tested by its maker, who can argue?

UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Yet you still want to argue, just like usual. At least you were brief this time.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:

Yet you still want to argue, just like usual. At least you were brief this time.
Here's another hijacked thread, courtesy of the Thread Troll. I am sure Payton will get right on it.

Mousegriz said:
It is a "renovation," albeit done with City precision and speed, and no doubt with the same budgetary discipline as the Water Suit.

The University owns the entire square blocks south of that City Park, and it seems like the U might better put the Park to use as a gateway to the University, in conjunction with the long term plan to have University administrative and welcoming facilities at that location.

Back