• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NFLPA - Gustafson

Grizzoola said:
QBs out of MT: Ryan Leaf, Brock Osweiler, Brady Gustafson. I'm not ignoring Dave Dickenson, btw, an exception to my point. RL was a mental case (no, I'm not a psychologist), but apparently, BO & BG appeal simply because of their height, which is working out not to be true. Too many other attributes (perhaps the mental is most important), make a successful QB in the NFL.

Always kills me how people are so quick to throw a QB under the bus. This was Osweiler's FIRST year as a starter. Wonder how some other pretty fucking good QB's did their first years as a starter? Here's a few guys you might have heard of...

•Troy Aikman (1989) 11 games; 155-293 for 1749 yards; 9 TD; 18 INT; 55.9 passer rating. A career 81.6 passer rating. Never had a 4000 yard passing season.
•John Elway (1983) 11 games; 123-259 for 1663 yards; 7 TD; 14 INT; 54.9 passer rating. Only one season with a passer rating over 90 (1993). Who knew he’d walk away with two Super Bowl titles?
•Warren Moon (1984) 16 games; 259-450 for 3338 yards; 12 TD; 14 INT; 76.9 passer rating. Never had a 16 game season with less than 14 INTs
•Steve Young (1986) 14 games; 195-363 for 2282 yards; 8 TD; 13 INT; 65.5 passer rating. His legs couldn’t prevent concussions. Ended up with the best ever career passer rating. Spent six years as Joe Montana’s backup.
•Jim Kelly (1986) 16 games; 285-480 for 3593 yards; 22 TD; 17 INT; 83.3 passer rating. Spent first two professional years starting in USFL.
•Peyton Manning (1998) 16 games; 326-575 for 3739 yards; 26 TD; 28 INT (ouch!); 71.2 passer rating. Won 3 games that year which is one of just two seasons in 12 years with less than 10 wins.
•Drew Brees (2002) 16 games; 320-526 for 3284 yards; 17 TD; 16 INT; 76.9 passer rating. Following year was worse (67.5 passer rating) before 6 straight seasons of 89 passer rating or higher. Mr. Who Dat got dismissed by the San Diego Chargers only to eventually win a Super Bowl elsewhere.

People (including the Texans) probably ought to step back and take a deep breath before they jettison Osweiler and his hefty contract for some other 1st year guy who's probably gonna have very similar numbers....

NFLPA - Gustafson

Search this topic…
SearchAdvanced search
41 posts
Previous

User avatarAZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Re: NFLPA - Gustafson
Postby AZGrizFan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm

People (including the Texans) probably ought to step back and take a deep breath before they jettison Osweiler and his hefty contract for some other 1st year guy who's probably gonna have very similar numbers....

I'm assuming that none of his 17 million a year salary is coming out of your pocket. This is the NFL where coaches get fired after one year, no waiting for their "recruits" to come in. It is a business that as viewers we really don't get a chance to jettison anybody.

sdk.catfish said:
NFLPA - Gustafson

Search this topic…
SearchAdvanced search
41 posts
Previous

User avatarAZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter

I'm assuming that none of his 17 million a year salary is coming out of your pocket. This is the NFL where coaches get fired after one year, no waiting for their "recruits" to come in. It is a business that as viewers we really don't get a chance to jettison anybody.

It's Osweiler's release/delivery. Nobody will ever confuse him with Marino or Warner. Slow.....

CV Griz Fan said:
sdk.catfish said:
NFLPA - Gustafson

Search this topic…
SearchAdvanced search
41 posts
Previous

User avatarAZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter

It's Osweiler's release/delivery. Nobody will ever confuse him with Marino or Warner. Slow.....

He throws sidearm half the time, and misreads a lot of easy coverages...maybe he will improve with a year under his belt but with the team they have and Watt coming back they are not that far away from being legit SB contenders and he's going to have to show up pretty quick or they will look for other options, 72 million or not.

AZGrizFan said:
Always kills me how people are so quick to throw a QB under the bus. This was Osweiler's FIRST year as a starter. Wonder how some other pretty f***[*] good QB's did their first years as a starter? Here's a few guys you might have heard of... .
How many of those guys had 4 years of prep, plus learning at the feet of the master, before starting? Far as Elway is concerned, had it not been for RB Terrell Davis, there would have been no SB wins. I don't regard Elway in the same league as the others.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:
QBs out of MT: Ryan Leaf, Brock Osweiler, Brady Gustafson. I'm not ignoring Dave Dickenson, btw, an exception to my point. RL was a mental case (no, I'm not a psychologist), but apparently, BO & BG appeal simply because of their height, which is working out not to be true. Too many other attributes (perhaps the mental is most important), make a successful QB in the NFL.

Always kills me how people are so quick to throw a QB under the bus. This was Osweiler's FIRST year as a starter. Wonder how some other pretty f***[*] good QB's did their first years as a starter? Here's a few guys you might have heard of...

•Troy Aikman (1989) 11 games; 155-293 for 1749 yards; 9 TD; 18 INT; 55.9 passer rating. A career 81.6 passer rating. Never had a 4000 yard passing season.
•John Elway (1983) 11 games; 123-259 for 1663 yards; 7 TD; 14 INT; 54.9 passer rating. Only one season with a passer rating over 90 (1993). Who knew he’d walk away with two Super Bowl titles?
•Warren Moon (1984) 16 games; 259-450 for 3338 yards; 12 TD; 14 INT; 76.9 passer rating. Never had a 16 game season with less than 14 INTs
•Steve Young (1986) 14 games; 195-363 for 2282 yards; 8 TD; 13 INT; 65.5 passer rating. His legs couldn’t prevent concussions. Ended up with the best ever career passer rating. Spent six years as Joe Montana’s backup.
•Jim Kelly (1986) 16 games; 285-480 for 3593 yards; 22 TD; 17 INT; 83.3 passer rating. Spent first two professional years starting in USFL.
•Peyton Manning (1998) 16 games; 326-575 for 3739 yards; 26 TD; 28 INT (ouch!); 71.2 passer rating. Won 3 games that year which is one of just two seasons in 12 years with less than 10 wins.
•Drew Brees (2002) 16 games; 320-526 for 3284 yards; 17 TD; 16 INT; 76.9 passer rating. Following year was worse (67.5 passer rating) before 6 straight seasons of 89 passer rating or higher. Mr. Who Dat got dismissed by the San Diego Chargers only to eventually win a Super Bowl elsewhere.

Ironic comment, considering yours and many others prognostications about Wentz.

379 of 607, 3782 Yards, 16TD, 14INT 79.3 passer rating.

Other than Kelly, he had a better first year passer rating than every guy on this list.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:

Always kills me how people are so quick to throw a QB under the bus. This was Osweiler's FIRST year as a starter. Wonder how some other pretty f***[*] good QB's did their first years as a starter? Here's a few guys you might have heard of...

Other than Kelly, he had a better first year passer rating than every guy on this list.

To his credit, he and the rest of the jealous Griz fans were largely silent this season and gave credit where credit was due.

…….and it’s because of posts like this and Bison fans constantly trolling this board that e-grizzers resented Wentz instead of cheering for an FCS kid.

2011BisonAlumni said:
To his credit, he and the rest of the jealous Griz fans were largely silent this season and gave credit where credit was due.

You just won 5 championships. Why do you care what a few Griz fans think? Pretty sure 99% of FCS was rooting for him

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
Interestingly enough when talking to a few former Griz (and a few parents of those former Griz) who did these types of games the practices and the daily drills are really what the scouts looked at more heavily. Hopefully Brady showed some good stuff there.

Obviously a bummer he didn't do much and didn't do well with his limited time in the actual game. I know some posters on here seem to take enjoyment out of bashing the guy and hoping he doesn't do well, which seems kind of odd to me. I'm cheering for him and wishing for the best.

Craig Haley wrote a pretty good article on Brady, don't think I've seen anyone post it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nflpa-game-gustafson-forging-own-identity-151034470--ncaaf.html

The sixth annual all-star game will conclude a week's worth of practices, meetings between players and NFL teams, and sessions from the NFLPA on playing at the next level.

"Truly, truly an honor," Gustafson said. "When you're a little kid, you always dream about playing in the NFL. For me, it was the same way. And to now be in a position to potentially make that happen, it's certainly very, very exciting. It's a very exciting time in my life. You almost have to take a step back and try to enjoy it. But also at the same time, you're keeping your head down, you 're working hard."

Gustafson is under the tutelage of National team coach Mike Martz, the former Super Bowl-winning coach of the St. Louis Rams, as well as quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna

During his training for the NFL Draft from April 27-29 in - you guessed it, Carson Wentz - Philadelphia, Gustafson said, "I'm just trying to understand more about trajectory, flight path-type stuff of the ball. And also then what marries up with that is how to control your body, how to play the position balanced, be an athlete. All those different things - kind of just break those things down, try to look at how the game is played at the next level."
How can you extrapolate a critical review of BG's performance and limitations as "hoping he doesn't do well?" The former are facts and hard to argue; I guess injecting the latter gives you some defense, whether it was said or not, to delegitimize the criticism. Pretty much like saying the GOP wants dirty air and water when you can't stand to have the strangling regulations come under fire.

Without Dems a visionary Richard Nixon and a few progressive Repubs dirty air and water would still be commonplace in this country.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:

My only comments about Wentz were that the higher he was drafted the more potential he had to be considered a bust.

Wentz will be fine! He reads defenses well, and is a winner. One bad year does not a QB make-unless you're Ryan Leaf!

AZGrizFan said:
Grizzoola said:

I agree with this, although i'm extremely biased because hes a Montana kid and i always cheer for Montana kids.

grizophile said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
Interestingly enough when talking to a few former Griz (and a few parents of those former Griz) who did these types of games the practices and the daily drills are really what the scouts looked at more heavily. Hopefully Brady showed some good stuff there.

Obviously a bummer he didn't do much and didn't do well with his limited time in the actual game. I know some posters on here seem to take enjoyment out of bashing the guy and hoping he doesn't do well, which seems kind of odd to me. I'm cheering for him and wishing for the best.

Craig Haley wrote a pretty good article on Brady, don't think I've seen anyone post it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nflpa-game-gustafson-forging-own-identity-151034470--ncaaf.html

The sixth annual all-star game will conclude a week's worth of practices, meetings between players and NFL teams, and sessions from the NFLPA on playing at the next level.

"Truly, truly an honor," Gustafson said. "When you're a little kid, you always dream about playing in the NFL. For me, it was the same way. And to now be in a position to potentially make that happen, it's certainly very, very exciting. It's a very exciting time in my life. You almost have to take a step back and try to enjoy it. But also at the same time, you're keeping your head down, you 're working hard."

Gustafson is under the tutelage of National team coach Mike Martz, the former Super Bowl-winning coach of the St. Louis Rams, as well as quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna

During his training for the NFL Draft from April 27-29 in - you guessed it, Carson Wentz - Philadelphia, Gustafson said, "I'm just trying to understand more about trajectory, flight path-type stuff of the ball. And also then what marries up with that is how to control your body, how to play the position balanced, be an athlete. All those different things - kind of just break those things down, try to look at how the game is played at the next level."
How can you extrapolate a critical review of BG's performance and limitations as "hoping he doesn't do well?" The former are facts and hard to argue; I guess injecting the latter gives you some defense, whether it was said or not, to delegitimize the criticism. Pretty much like saying the GOP wants dirty air and water when you can't stand to have the strangling regulations come under fire.

Without Dems a visionary Richard Nixon and a few progressive Repubs dirty air and water would still be commonplace in this country.

Coming soon to a town like yours or ours.

fanofzoo said:
grizophile said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Coming soon to a town like yours or ours.

Free Phones leaving soon from a town like yours or ours

Latest posts

Back