• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Observations of NDSU

Like others have stated, they are a machine. Don't know if I've ever seen a team that is so fundamentally sound, works as hard as they do. You can see every player is giving it all they have, the extra yards they get on offense just by effort, and also the extra yards they don't give up on defense by just effort alone is unreal. They are unreal, I have nothing but utmost respect for them, their coaches and how they run their program. They could give clinics on how to run a successful program at every level of football. Absolutely get the most out of their players.

I'm not a Partriot's fan, but they might be the only other team (maybe Alabama) that is even close to this as far as effort, well coached, and results.

Brock Landers said:
mtgrizfankb said:
They are who we thought they were. The best team in FCS. They have the community behind them, by a bunch. Even on their pages and comment sections, nobody hates on them or comments negativity. Missoula used to be that way. When you have community around your school, everything gets better NDSU shows well in almost all their sports and the football program has been the pride and joy. Now if they had a major scandal hit them...it would be interesting to see what would happen. As for now they have avoided all the disaster. In fact I’m surprised how clean everything has been for them. That community Love helps that...in more ways than one...
Nothing to be negative about when you're winning titles every year. What do you think happens when they inevitably regress? Sports fans are ugly everywhere

It's going to be real ugly in Fargo when they stop having consistent deep runs in the playoffs. You thought it was/is ugly with Griz Nation? Bison fans will make us look like child's play when they stop seeing constant success (yes it will happen).

The possibility is there to slip, but (and I don't know if this is an apples to oranges comparison) ACC opponents of Duke and North Carolina have been saying that very same thing for a quite some years. "Sooner or later they aren't going to be good and Wow, will their fans be pissed !!! At the beginning of the season I thought the Bison were in a rebuilding year. They graduate a couple of very good players (Deluca, Tanguay, and Kuhnert. Check the starters and the 2 deep. There are quite a few underclassmen The 2's have played significant minutes and they have a very good class of recruits coming in. It should be an interesting 3 to 4 more years.

Lakerhater said:
The possibility is there to slip, but (and I don't know if this is an apples to oranges comparison) ACC opponents of Duke and North Carolina have been saying that very same thing for a quite some years. "Sooner or later they aren't going to be good and Wow, will their fans be pissed !!! At the beginning of the season I thought the Bison were in a rebuilding year. They graduate a couple of very good players (Deluca, Tanguay, and Kuhnert. Check the starters and the 2 deep. There are quite a few underclassmen The 2's have played significant minutes and they have a very good class of recruits coming in. It should be an interesting 3 to 4 more years.

34 conference championships, 13 National Championships and as the school that invented the forward pass would suggest NDSU has a great history just like Army and the wing-t and spread formations will always have a place in the history of the game...I suspect they'll always have dominate teams at the small college level. Your coaches do a great job selling your history and tradition to kids and they take pride in playing for your school.

UNDfan said:
Yukon said:
Bison have been great since the 1960's. 31 conference titles. 13 national titles.

year record Conf title National title
1963–1965 24–6–0 2 1965
1966–1972 61–7–1 6 1968, 1969
1973–1975 17–13–0 2
1976–1978 24–9–1 2
1979–1984 57–15–0 4 1983
1985–1986 24–2–1 2 1985, 1986
1987–1996 91–25–1 5 1988, 1990
1997–2002 46–22 0
2003–2013 104–32 4 2011, 2012, 2013
2014– 52–6 4 2014, 2015
The FargoDome opened in the early 1990's, and it didn't get a playoff game for almost 20 years. Imagine that. Their fans were livid for decades!

The reason being that UND, Omaha, and N Colorado dominated the North Central Conference during that time. UND and UNC won D2 national championships during that time, not the bizzon.

It takes a concerted program effort to overcome NDSU dynasties. SDSU has beat them like drum this year, and SDSU was a nothing in football until they moved to FCS.
The other thing that happened was the reduction of scholarships at the D2 level. When NDSU was dominating they were one of the few D2 schools that uses the maximum allowable scholarships (65?). More and more schools joined D2 that struggled to afford that many so they got it reduced to something like 35. This greatly levelled the playing field and helped other schools compete more.

If Montana can have a stretch like they have (not terrible but not a championship/playoff contender) it's entirely possible for the Bison as well. It won't likely happen in the next couple years. Youngstown and Delaware are two other examples that were consistent contenders but no longer there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blgs Griz Fan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Bobby played NDSU style football before NDSU was a thing on the FCS level.

NDSU basically used the model that Montana built its success from and perfected it.

NDSU has decided what type of football they want to play and stayed with it. The Griz were dominant under Coach Hauck because he stayed the course.
When Pflugrad took over he decided the Griz needed to change their offense and brought in Pfluffy ball. This made little sense to me since it was clear the Griz program was not broken so why fix it. His first year was a struggle but he did coach the Griz to the semi's his second year due in large part to a very talented QB.
Delaney returned the Griz to the pro style offense and had reasonably good success. He also righted the ship after the Engstrom Enema happened. Thanks to Mick for doing a great job.
Stitt is hired because "I heard you have a good offense." Stitt was in over his head from the very beginning and seemed to alienate hold over coaches and some players.
The worst thing that happened is when the Griz beat NDSU on national television. I think that gave Stitt an unwarranted strong sense of confidence and fueled his ego.
Bob Stitt is a good guy and all but he was not the right coach for this level of play and for the fan expectations of team performance.
My point in this post is that the Griz have bounced around on the style of play since Coach Hauck left and it has created issues for both players and recruits. It appears attendance is suffering because of it.
'
Lot of truth here ... for what it is worth, I am very glad for you guys to be getting back a coach who understands what it takes to get to the championship level of D1 football.

Stitt may be a good OC .... ? .... but things went south with him as head coach.

Look forward to seeing you in the playoffs again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see some posts on here about NDSU falling off, but if you have paid any attention to our recruiting classes the last four to five years you would know that is highly unlikely for a very long time at least. In fact the recruiting classes just seem to get better and better each year. For example todays signing class had a recruit with full ride offers to Iowa and Iowa St, in fact we had two signees today that had full ride offers to Iowa, which they turned down to come to NDSU. We also got a O lineman out of Missouri who turned down a full ride to Central Michigan, because he wanted a chance to win a NC. Our QB recruit out of MN had an offer from Boise St. Now I'm not on here posting this to rub it in or be a smart ass, I just don't think that most FCS fans realize the kind of recruiting machine we have developed and the key to it all is NDSUs three day summer camp that they run in my opinion, it has become one of the best camps in the upper Midwest. The coaching staff gets a up close look at hundreds of players, which is invaluable. Well Merry Christmas and good luck next year Griz Nation! I believe you took a step in the right direction with Huack....he will get ya playing football the right way again....SmashMouth! Stay Calm And Run Power!

Back