• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offense

b_f_c_99 said:
I'll go to the waaaaaaaay back machine so this may be lengthy.

Don Read came in 1985 he didn't promise sucess, what he did promise is it would be fun to watch. And really it was, and at times frustrating. But they didn't make the playoffs until what 1989 or so? Won a couple of games then got taken out by Youngstown or Georgia Southern. But then no playoffs for a couple of years. And then something magical happened. Boise, Idaho, and Nevado Reno LEFT THE CONFERENCE. Now they could make the playoffs ALOT easier. Anyway a couple more years of playoffs and then get beat by Youngstown, and other power run type teams. Same sort of loss as today, get caught in the slow down game, get beaten down in the 3rd and 4th quarter, run out of time.

The solution? Flip this around on the power teams. Create an offense that would score FAST and then use your defense to sell-out and just go after the other teams offense with the intention of causing turn overs and quick 3 and outs. If they got scored on, now worries put the super fast offense back on the field, let the other team know we are going to score 45+ points. At times of course this failed horribly. But once they got it going they flipped that 4th quarter scenario around where the team that runs it down your throat and kills 9 minutes of the 4th quarter now has to try and play catch up. The culmination? 1995 national championship. And then 2002 with Joe Glenn.

Enter Bobby Hauck, The griz can get great recruits, no Reno, Boise, Idaho its easy to out recruit the rest of the Big Sky. So it was easy to win lots of games playing power football. I remember the first radio show he did where he stated that although xxx playerwas a nice little player, he would never recruit 'undersize' players and they would just be more physical than everyone. Great plan, in the Big Sky, but a total crap shoot when playing other super physical teams. Would have Hauck won today? Maybe I give it 50/50.

So really the question is power football to get easy wins in the Big Sky? Or rebuild something different and dynamic to win another National Championship?

Good post. But, as I'm sure you know, Bosie and Idaho were still in the conference in 95 when the Griz won it all. BSU got taken behind the woodshed in Missoula and Idaho beat the Griz in a shootout at the Kibbie Dome. I think Reno's last year was 91 or 92

As much as I dislike this philosophy of this coaching staff, I am very optimistic about this offense from here on out. We've played the best two defenses we will see all year and been in both games late in the game. Our O-line is young and should improve every game. I think if we meet NDSU in the playoffs we will see vastly improved o-line play. And with out of conference refs, better d-line play if holding is called like it should be.

I'm guessing we wont drop out of the top 10.

What type of offense is good for young, undersized, inexperinced offensive line?

I can think of one that aren't, IE power run games.

Things seem to run a little better when JJ is in the shot gun. I agree most of the issues are a lack of scheme and game planning by this coaching staff. It truely is a shame the Grizzlies are in such a compromised situation. Sorry folks but this offense is plain bad. If you think anything else your just being nice.

HEY! You guys stop talking bad about your future head coach(es)! They're going to be leading this shit show next year!

MrTitleist said:
HEY! You guys stop talking bad about your future head coach(es)! They're going to be leading this shit show next year!
After an extensive nationwide search, no less.

Kodiak said:
b_f_c_99 said:
I'll go to the waaaaaaaay back machine so this may be lengthy.

Don Read came in 1985 he didn't promise sucess, what he did promise is it would be fun to watch. And really it was, and at times frustrating. But they didn't make the playoffs until what 1989 or so? Won a couple of games then got taken out by Youngstown or Georgia Southern. But then no playoffs for a couple of years. And then something magical happened. Boise, Idaho, and Nevado Reno LEFT THE CONFERENCE. Now they could make the playoffs ALOT easier. Anyway a couple more years of playoffs and then get beat by Youngstown, and other power run type teams. Same sort of loss as today, get caught in the slow down game, get beaten down in the 3rd and 4th quarter, run out of time.

The solution? Flip this around on the power teams. Create an offense that would score FAST and then use your defense to sell-out and just go after the other teams offense with the intention of causing turn overs and quick 3 and outs. If they got scored on, now worries put the super fast offense back on the field, let the other team know we are going to score 45+ points. At times of course this failed horribly. But once they got it going they flipped that 4th quarter scenario around where the team that runs it down your throat and kills 9 minutes of the 4th quarter now has to try and play catch up. The culmination? 1995 national championship. And then 2002 with Joe Glenn.

Enter Bobby Hauck, The griz can get great recruits, no Reno, Boise, Idaho its easy to out recruit the rest of the Big Sky. So it was easy to win lots of games playing power football. I remember the first radio show he did where he stated that although xxx playerwas a nice little player, he would never recruit 'undersize' players and they would just be more physical than everyone. Great plan, in the Big Sky, but a total crap shoot when playing other super physical teams. Would have Hauck won today? Maybe I give it 50/50.

So really the question is power football to get easy wins in the Big Sky? Or rebuild something different and dynamic to win another National Championship?

Good post. But, as I'm sure you know, Bosie and Idaho were still in the conference in 95 when the Griz won it all. BSU got taken behind the woodshed in Missoula and Idaho beat the Griz in a shootout at the Kibbie Dome. I think Reno's last year was 91 or 92

Yes I am aware of that, sorry my timeline is a little off. Just trying to make the point that it wasn't until those teams that were gone that the Big Sky got ALOT easier to dominate.

grizfnz said:
MrTitleist said:

God no!!!! I wish Justin Green were a few years older. He's the only offensive coach I'd support for HC. I wonder how he would do at OC?

And to those that think the coaching staff now just needs to do this or that, it just isn't that easy to change who/what you are. Anyone here play golf, basketball or really any other sport? If so why aren't you at the top of that game or heck really anything doesn't have to even be sports related. But lets take golf, its easy right? You got arms and legs, just make these here little changes and you can bust it like Bubba Watson right? Doesn't work that way. People are who they are.

grizfnz said:
MrTitleist said:

We will scour the entire nation to find the best coach for the Griz..... but that coach is already on staff. Haslam will use Monster.com to do his national search and call it good.

I'm in NO WAY going to stand up here and defend the performance of the Grizzly offense today, or in any of the three games this season. It hasn't been up to snuff.

But I will offer a few reminders.

1. Montana averaged 37.5 points per game and over 400 yards of total offense with THE EXACT SAME SCHEME last season. They were also second in the Big Sky in rushing. INCLUDED IN THAT WAS OVER 500 YARDS AGAINST BOTH EASTERN WASHINGTON AND COASTAL CAROLINA, two games the Griz LOST.

2. And this is partly a question for Mtgrizrule since he started this thread. Do you, or anyone else who post on this board HONESTLY think you know more than the players do about THEMSELVES AND WHAT THEY'RE CAPABLE OF DOING? Jordan Canada, in interviews last season and this season, SAID, he's much more confortable and a better fit for a power running attack and this is the offense he always wanted to play in. So by saying these guys were recruited here and are not being allowed to play in the offense they were recruited for, even though Canada has said for two years, this is the offense he prefers to play in, you're saying he's wrong? Travon Van said the same thing earlier this summer.

"As a running back, I want the ball in my hands," Van said. "I want to get in there and mix it up between the big guys. I feel like I'm at my best when I can see a hole and burst through it. That's what I love to do. That's what I came here to do, run the football." Are you saying Travon Van himself doesn't know what he's best at, but the fans do?

3. Yes, JJ was recruited to run Pflu's offense. He's adjusted as best he can. You guys think you're sticking up for JJ by coming on here and posting that he's being wasted???? Are you kidding? Ask JJ to his face how he feels about the coaches, the team, the program, the offense, and ESPECIALLY MICK DELANEY. I DARE ANY ONE OF YOU TO WALK UP TO HIM AND ASK HIM IF HE THINKS DELANEY IS SCREWING HIM OVER or WASTING HIS TALENTS. If that's what you guys think, you're going to be awfully disappointed by his response.

4. Finally, JJ executed this offense really well, but a few BIG PIECES ARE MISSING, and they haven't been replaced. Blame the scheme and coaches all you want, but this offense was very good WITH Jordan Harper and Cam Warren. Those two guys were huge for JJ. I love Mitch Saylor and Ralston has a big upside but neither are Harper. And Naccarato is suposed to replace Warren, but he hasn't seen the field yet. Those two are two BIG PIECES two the puzzle.

havgrizfan said:
"As a running back, I want the ball in my hands," Van said. "I want to get in there and mix it up between the big guys. I feel like I'm at my best when I can see a hole and burst through it. That's what I love to do. That's what I came here to do, run the football." Are you saying Travon Van himself doesn't know what he's best at, but the fans do?
If that's what he feels he is best at I wish he'd do it and quit dancing around

The irony in your post is that we only had over 500 yards offense in the EWU and CCU games because we abandoned the "power" offense, went hurry up, and put the ball in our playmaker QB's hands. :|

havgrizfan said:
I'm in NO WAY going to stand up here and defend the performance of the Grizzly offense today, or in any of the three games this season. It hasn't been up to snuff.

But I will offer a few reminders.

1. Montana averaged 37.5 points per game and over 400 yards of total offense with THE EXACT SAME SCHEME last season. They were also second in the Big Sky in rushing. INCLUDED IN THAT WAS OVER 500 YARDS AGAINST BOTH EASTERN WASHINGTON AND COASTAL CAROLINA, two games the Griz LOST.

2. And this is partly a question for Mtgrizrule since he started this thread. Do you, or anyone else who post on this board HONESTLY think you know more than the players do about THEMSELVES AND WHAT THEY'RE CAPABLE OF DOING? Jordan Canada, in interviews last season and this season, SAID, he's much more confortable and a better fit for a power running attack and this is the offense he always wanted to play in. So by saying these guys were recruited here and are not being allowed to play in the offense they were recruited for, even though Canada has said for two years, this is the offense he prefers to play in, you're saying he's wrong? Travon Van said the same thing earlier this summer.

3. Yes, JJ was recruited to run Pflu's offense. He's adjusted as best he can. You guys think you're sticking up for JJ by coming on here and posting that he's being wasted???? Are you kidding? Ask JJ to his face how he feels about the coaches, the team, the program, the offense, and ESPECIALLY MICK DELANEY. I DARE ANY ONE OF YOU TO WALK UP TO HIM AND ASK HIM IF HE THINKS DELANEY IS SCREWING HIM OVER or WASTING HIS TALENTS. If that's what you guys think, you're going to be awfully disappointed by his response.

4. Finally, JJ executed this offense really well, but a few BIG PIECES ARE MISSING, and they haven't been replaced. Blame the scheme and coaches all you want, but this offense was very good WITH Jordan Harper and Cam Warren. Those two guys were huge for JJ. I love Mitch Saylor and Ralston has a big upside but neither are Harper. And Naccarato is suposed to replace Warren, but he hasn't seen the field yet. Those two are two BIG PIECES two the puzzle.

This offense sucks! Pure and simple! It does not have the personel to execute. JJ does not have time to let the slow developing routes open up. Watching msu and ewu one thing Prukop and Adams have is time to find receivers. You can put Naccarato on the field but if JJ has to scramble every damn down it won't matter cause JJ won't find the open receiver. Why won't you admit the o-line is horrible. End o discussion!

Fahque said:
havgrizfan said:
If that's what he feels he is best at I wish he'd do it and quit dancing around
+1 he has "more" yards this year sideline to sideline versus north and south. He is immensely talented but is always trying to hit the home run. MD used that exact terminology on his show last week, describing T.V. s game. I'd sure like to see what he could do if he is squared to the hole and blasts through it? We may never know, but I hope he gives it a shot... :egriz:

horribilisfan8184 said:
As much as I dislike this philosophy of this coaching staff, I am very optimistic about this offense from here on out. We've played the best two defenses we will see all year and been in both games late in the game. Our O-line is young and should improve every game. I think if we meet NDSU in the playoffs we will see vastly improved o-line play. And with out of conference refs, better d-line play if holding is called like it should be.

I'm guessing we wont drop out of the top 10.

Good point about the best defenses. I am like everyone else on this board and get PISSED when we don't win. I know the players are absolute studs. Always blame the coaches.

Overreaction plain and simple. Couple of thoughts on this.

Defense. They were on the field for 40 minutes. They could not stop the Bison running game between the 20's. How can your offense get any type of rhythm when you are never on the field?

NDSU's defense. Perhaps the best ever at the FCS level. They have done this to many of teams and teams who have better offenses than Montana.

2011BisonAlumni said:

Defense. They were on the field for 40 minutes. They could not stop the Bison running game between the 20's. How can your offense get any type of rhythm when you are never on the field?

NDSU's defense. Perhaps the best ever at the FCS level. They have done this to many of teams and teams who have better offenses than Montana.

You have posted on here 7 times and are telling us we are overreacting? Scroll though all of the threads on this subject over the past 2 years, we all continue to say the same thing. If the Griz would run a better offense they would be on the field more, our offense is pretty predictable.

I was just thinking back when this staff was hired and ran the spread their first season, without JJ, they actually put up good numbers, I would have to go back and check. Griz fans like an exciting offense that puts up some points, even coach Hauck was some ball control but the Griz put up alot of points. We do not like a boring brand of football, NDSU plays a very vanilla brand of football, it works for them well obviously and their fans because they win. Try running that offense and losing 5 games a year and then see what your fans have to say.

JayLarson said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

You have posted on here 7 times and are telling us we are overreacting? Scroll though all of the threads on this subject over the past 2 years, we all continue to say the same thing. If the Griz would run a better offense they would be on the field more, our offense is pretty predictable.

I was just thinking back when this staff was hired and ran the spread their first season, without JJ, they actually put up good numbers, I would have to go back and check. Griz fans like an exciting offense that puts up some points, even coach Hauck was some ball control but the Griz put up alot of points. We do not like a boring brand of football, NDSU plays a very vanilla brand of football, it works for them well obviously and their fans because they win. Try running that offense and losing 5 games a year and then see what your fans have to say.

I understand that, but I am just saying how many types of offense have given the Bison fits? Coastal Carolina had an explosive pass first offense that the Bison absolutely shut down last year.

The teams that have given NDSU the most fits are a ground control offense coupled with a good defense. Basically beating them at their own game. There is a reason why UNI always gives NDSU a game. Ground control offense and awesome defense. SDSU is usually a good game due to the same reason. Georgia Southern in 2012 could have easily beat NDSU based on that formula. Indiana State did beat NDSU due to that formula. Southern Illinois has come extremely close to beating NDSU in both 2011 and 2012 due to running the ball, controlling the clock, and stopping NDSU from sustaining 8 minute drives.

Just have some patience. The season is not over and there is no reason to completely blame your offense. Montana got beat by a better team in basically every aspect of the game. You guys will be fine.

Back