• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offense

qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:
griz4life said:
I think they have tried the quick slants you're looking for. They did against Wyoming and the results were pretty mixed, not many YACs and several incompletions.

Not everything that doesn't get called is because of coaching philosophy. Montana's coaches, like all coaches, have a good idea about which plays have the highest probability of completion against certain defensive formations. They have more video than you can imagine. If a play isn't being called, it's probably because it hasn't worked well in practice.

So we have been struggling finding a consistent passing game for the last year, and they still have not found a fix? Seriously, how often do we see passes go to a WR running a deep route? It is pretty easy for most DC's to figure out how to defend our passing game. Guys here it is, Make sure we keep someone deep for Henderson. Keep Jamal Jones in front of you, stay on him tightly. Commit a fast LB or Safety to Van. Take away those 3, by then JJ is running for his life and does not have time for any options beyond 3. Hell he is lucky to see options 1 and 2 against good pass rushing teams.

It would not hurt for our coaches to use our other talent as the 1st 2 options with quick passes consistently. If we pepper defenses with our other options, in time it will force defenses to account for everyone and open things up for our big play makers. I'd rather have mixed results than our current results. Mixed results would likely be an improvement.

Would it hurt to have Henderson run more quick, short, and medium patterns and have others go deep now and then? Our coaches need to add more versatility and options to our offense. They just have not for the last year. I just don't understand how this can be a problem for such a long time.

Something I've been wondering, is whether this was a play call by the OC's, or something JJ saw at the line. In the USD game, I think most (if not all) the times JJ tried the deep ball was when the WR had single coverage. I'm wondering if JJ saw that at the line and changed the play.

A more expansive question is how much freedom is JJ given at the line to change the play? It looks like a lot. He is seemingly communicating with the rest of the offense while at the line a lot. Although he is possibly just killing the first play he was given in favor of running the second. I don't how that works with the Griz.

Maybe the short passes everyone wants have to do with the quarterbacks decision where to throw and not with the scheme? JJ seems to like the home run.

I'm curious why UM didn't try to work the read option more than it did. I remember what seemed to be an attempt right before the half, but Johnson didn't really read the rush end right off the bat, which kind of made it look like more of a broken play.
Could be that exposing Johnson on a run around the edge was too risky. I do remember the read option being used with success last year when the line was struggling.

No. I'm not talking about abandoning the pro - style playbook for a return of the Pflufense.

grizatwork said:
qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:
griz4life said:
I think they have tried the quick slants you're looking for. They did against Wyoming and the results were pretty mixed, not many YACs and several incompletions.

Not everything that doesn't get called is because of coaching philosophy. Montana's coaches, like all coaches, have a good idea about which plays have the highest probability of completion against certain defensive formations. They have more video than you can imagine. If a play isn't being called, it's probably because it hasn't worked well in practice.

So we have been struggling finding a consistent passing game for the last year, and they still have not found a fix? Seriously, how often do we see passes go to a WR running a deep route? It is pretty easy for most DC's to figure out how to defend our passing game. Guys here it is, Make sure we keep someone deep for Henderson. Keep Jamal Jones in front of you, stay on him tightly. Commit a fast LB or Safety to Van. Take away those 3, by then JJ is running for his life and does not have time for any options beyond 3. Hell he is lucky to see options 1 and 2 against good pass rushing teams.

It would not hurt for our coaches to use our other talent as the 1st 2 options with quick passes consistently. If we pepper defenses with our other options, in time it will force defenses to account for everyone and open things up for our big play makers. I'd rather have mixed results than our current results. Mixed results would likely be an improvement.

Would it hurt to have Henderson run more quick, short, and medium patterns and have others go deep now and then? Our coaches need to add more versatility and options to our offense. They just have not for the last year. I just don't understand how this can be a problem for such a long time.

Something I've been wondering, is whether this was a play call by the OC's, or something JJ saw at the line. In the USD game, I think most (if not all) the times JJ tried the deep ball was when the WR had single coverage. I'm wondering if JJ saw that at the line and changed the play.

A more expansive question is how much freedom is JJ given at the line to change the play? It looks like a lot. He is seemingly communicating with the rest of the offense while at the line a lot. Although he is possibly just killing the first play he was given in favor of running the second. I don't how that works with the Griz.

Maybe the short passes everyone wants have to do with the quarterbacks decision where to throw and not with the scheme? JJ seems to like the home run.

This is exactly what I'm wondering.

The way I see it is we need our tackles to play better. I know they're young and getting better but right now that's our weakness. I have faith they'll get better as the season goes along but right now we have some growing pains on the OL.

qwerty15ster said:
grizatwork said:
Huh? what would lead you to that rank speculation? Must be all those short routes JJ keeps passing up. BWAHAHAA
Think about what you are suggesting: that JJ prefers deep routes and audibles into them so he can spend even more time behind our OL and in the pocket.
This is boobyball. You know, the slow-developing deep routes that everyone loved from PhenPhen. Actually, this is the worst form of boobyball because we don't have the personnel for it but we do have the stubborn old dog who can't learn any new tricks.
The only time they call a short route is when it is absolutely necessary (e.g., the 4th down conversion). Otherwise, its run, run, bomb, punt. Duh. Short routes make no sense when its third and long.

garizzalies said:
qwerty15ster said:
grizatwork said:
Huh? what would lead you to that rank speculation? Must be all those short routes JJ keeps passing up. BWAHAHAA
Think about what you are suggesting: that JJ prefers deep routes and audibles into them so he can spend even more time behind our OL and in the pocket.
This is boobyball. You know, the slow-developing deep routes that everyone loved from PhenPhen. Actually, this is the worst form of boobyball because we don't have the personnel for it but we do have the stubborn old dog who can't learn any new tricks.
The only time they call a short route is when it is absolutely necessary (e.g., the 4th down conversion). Otherwise, its run, run, bomb, punt. Duh. Short routes make no sense when its third and long.

I'm not sure how many short routes are being run. Camera angles/me not paying attention to that is to blame.

I don't think what I'm suggesting is all that unreasonable. JJ sees single coverage on one of his best play makers and audibles into a play where he allows the WR to make a play. JJ would gladly take a hit for a TD or a long completion. Even if it ends up being unsuccessful, it keeps the defense honest so they don't stack the box.

I'm trying to find a reason why we keep throwing the long ball. I don't think the "our stupid coaches don't know anything" reasoning is very persuasive. Attempting to take advantage of single coverage on a WR like EH is persuasive.

qwerty15ster said:
garizzalies said:
qwerty15ster said:
grizatwork said:

I'm not sure how many short routes are being run. Camera angles/me not paying attention to that is to blame.

I don't think what I'm suggesting is all that unreasonable. JJ sees single coverage on one of his best play makers and audibles into a play where he allows the WR to make a play. JJ would gladly take a hit for a TD or a long completion. Even if it ends up being unsuccessful, it keeps the defense honest so they don't stack the box.

I'm trying to find a reason why we keep throwing the long ball. I don't think the "our stupid coaches don't know anything" reasoning is very persuasive. Attempting to take advantage of single coverage on a WR like EH is persuasive.

I think what you saw against South Dakota was a team that did show single coverage but then played retreat coverage as they knew it was a deep ball. Good scouting. We need to go to a stop pattern or back shoulder fade then.

qwerty15ster said:
It's the scheme. Period. Not JJ. Don't over think it; it's not that hard.
And nobody is dumb enuf to leave EH on an island.

Back