• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Overheard At a Blackjack Table in Vegas This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
blazerbird said:
What is the reason when I'm anywhere on the West Coast I see people wearing Griz clothing? I was at the Ram in Seattle recently, and a group of four or five walked in with Griz sweatshirts and hats. As far as I know, there was no game going on. I see the same thing in SoCal and Arizona no matter the time of year. Is it a pride thing? Are people looking for other Griz or fans of rival teams? This truly interests me.

No, it's not a pride thing, it's simple economics. Now that we're in a Death Spiral, no one wants Griz gear. You can get it for pennies at thrift shops. I bet those people in Seattle had just visited the Goodwill.

You should of givn the Black jack dealer a story of a lifetime
by cold cocking the msu fool...

mr-t.jpeg

AllWeatherFan said:
No, it's not a pride thing, it's simple economics. Now that we're in a Death Spiral, no one wants Griz gear.
Of course, on campus, one of the biggest purchasers of "Griz Gear" are incoming Frosh and their families.

Sales have dropped so far so fast
, that as of last October, with record low sales, ASUM Bookstore offered early retirements to virtually their entire senior staff, most of which finally took them, hired no replacements and cut orders by 50%.

The biggest concern among the long-time employees offered the buy-outs was whether or not the Bookstore could afford to actually write the checks. You accept, retire, your position is abolished, and then when the check becomes due, they say "oops!" What are you supposed to do then? Sue a Bookstore that is broke?

IF sales of Griz gear have fallen at the Bookstore it's due to competition (particularly the M Store, although every freakin' store in Missoula including Oles sells Griz stuff) and poor selection. It used to be I could never get out of the Bookstore without dropping 4 or 5 C notes. Now it's common that when I'm in there, I don't find anything I can't live without.

CamCam79 said:
I Lived in Seattle and have spent plenty of time there as well. I always wore my Griz gear into The RAM on UW campus. There were alot of Griz fans there i found out. Some had family attending school in Missoula but alot of them liked us because we are somewhat "regional" and they like football. Another reason is alot of recruits come out of Washington. They were always more than happy to put the Game on for me as long as I wasnt asking to override the Huskies game on the BIG TV.
Seattle is very much a "Griz" town; a lot of Missoulians end up there for employment, and a lot of Seattlites come to Montana to vacation. All of my kids now live there. William Allen, who built the modern Boeing Company, was a farm kid from Lolo, and so during the 1950s, if you were from Montana, you had a job at Boeing. A couple of years ago I walked into the Arctic Club, where I usually stay, and on seeing my sweatshirt, the clerk shrieks across the lobby "GO GRIZ!" It turned out she was Jamal Jones sister-in-law, we watched a game that Saturday afternoon together in the lobby, and we've been great friends ever since. I'm surprised in just walking the waterfront, wearing the sweatshirt or jacket, people will just spontaneously say "GO GRIZ!"

UMGriz75 said:
CamCam79 said:
I Lived in Seattle and have spent plenty of time there as well. I always wore my Griz gear into The RAM on UW campus. There were alot of Griz fans there i found out. Some had family attending school in Missoula but alot of them liked us because we are somewhat "regional" and they like football. Another reason is alot of recruits come out of Washington. They were always more than happy to put the Game on for me as long as I wasnt asking to override the Huskies game on the BIG TV.
Seattle is very much a "Griz" town; a lot of Missoulians end up there for employment, and a lot of Seattlites come to Montana to vacation. All of my kids now live there. William Allen, who built the modern Boeing Company, was a farm kid from Lolo, and so during the 1950s, if you were from Montana, you had a job at Boeing. A couple of years ago I walked into the Arctic Club, where I usually stay, and on seeing my sweatshirt, the clerk shrieks across the lobby "GO GRIZ!" It turned out she was Jamal Jones sister-in-law, we watched a game that Saturday afternoon together in the lobby, and we've been great friends ever since. I'm surprised in just walking the waterfront, wearing the sweatshirt or jacket, people will just spontaneously say "GO GRIZ!"

This is my experience, too. I've only lived here six years, but I regularly see Griz gear. There are a fair amount of bear paw stickers on taillights and griz window stickers, too.
Always great to see it!

Dont forget UPTOP taking percentages of the market each year as well. It is not that Griz aparel is down in sales, it is being spread amongst many more outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back