• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: An expected result but still a frustrating loss

mcg said:
Bizon said:
Every year the bison have a bad game or two. This was one of them. We played terrible and still won. Dominated the line of scrimmage and time of possession as well as first downs etc. We haven't allowed a point in 2nd half yet. We lost our record setting QB and 20 other seniors as well as entire coaching staff and AD and still are 4-0. If I were the other four teams we just beat I'd be worried? Hopefully our QB progress's at a rapid rate? if so I don't think a rematch would even be close. We doubled the griz up with a so so team now I cant imagine how bad the score would be at playoff time. Just my opinion

Right I get it. The play of the team on the other side of the line had nothing to do with the NDSU performance Saturday, it was just sort of a random 'bad game'.
Yep, we played a bad game. Iv'e been watching Bison for 47 years and just spoke with approx. 160 teammakers since Saturday and general consensus is we had a bad game. Our qb has only started 4 games and isn't the best right now. Our offensive coordinator didn't call the best first half. He admitted it. We are very lucky to be undefeated! Most of us thought this year would be a building year. That's why I say I would be worried if I were one of the four teams we just beat. We can only get better by playoff time

Bizon said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:
Every year the bison have a bad game or two. This was one of them. We played terrible and still won. Dominated the line of scrimmage and time of possession as well as first downs etc. We haven't allowed a point in 2nd half yet. We lost our record setting QB and 20 other seniors as well as entire coaching staff and AD and still are 4-0. If I were the other four teams we just beat I'd be worried? Hopefully our QB progress's at a rapid rate? if so I don't think a rematch would even be close. We doubled the griz up with a so so team now I cant imagine how bad the score would be at playoff time. Just my opinion

Right I get it. The play of the team on the other side of the line had nothing to do with the NDSU performance Saturday, it was just sort of a random 'bad game'.
Yep, we played a bad game. Iv'e been watching Bison for 47 years and just spoke with approx. 160 teammakers since Saturday and general consensus is we had a bad game. Our qb has only started 4 games and isn't the best right now. Our offensive coordinator didn't call the best first half. He admitted it. We are very lucky to be undefeated! Most of us thought this year would be a building year. That's why I say I would be worried if I were one of the four teams we just beat. We can only get better by playoff time
It goes without saying that EVERY team thinks they could have played better in any given game. It is raising arrogance to a fine art by denying your opponent has ANY affect on the way your team played. I used to respect NDSU and its fans but now I really, really hope some nobody cleans your clock. I love to hear the sound of BIG FAT heads exploding...

".....I am not trying to diminish the strength of your D, they played very well as I have posted several times. But truthfully, NDSU played below average...."

Hrmmmmm. Something to consider....You mean "below average" based on the last few years or "below average" based on this years team and coaches and the games you have played in 2014?

You guys have had a great ride. All the respect to your players and staff but consider you may just have to get used to the "new average." <<< Which is still fairly impressive by the way but is nothing like the "old average."

Somebody will beat us. That's my point! We are just hoping to win our conference. We have been beating teams with a new coaching staff and new o line and rookie qb. We just today got a new AD So its been a mess in bisonville this past couple months and still we are beating big 12 schools and a #4 ranked fcs school. We are doing this with a not so good team at the moment. But I would rather be in our position than yours. Every team complains when they lose but when you complain when you win says something. Again, just my opinion

ranco said:
NDSUSR said:
get'em_griz said:
NDSUSR said:
Lol. Come on now. I have tried to be civil on this board but this is idiotic.
Montana squeaked by SD and beat a DII team.
Dont be ridiculous. NDSU wins this game at any stadium.

We can play that game too...

NDSU squeaked by Weber State and beat a DII team. (Incarnate Word, even though they are an FCS team, was DII last year and still plays like a DII program)

These whole "we beat this team worse than you beat that team" is just ridiculous. Any Given Saturday.

Well we also beat Iowa State and Montana. ;)
ISU by 20 and btw... Weber by 17. Not exactly squeaking by.
Not to offend, but has anyone here considered that NDSU played a terrible game?

Are you saying NDSU played a terrible game?? They didn't. In fact, they played a great game. zero turnovers and just a handful of penalties. They didn't keep themselves out of the end zone, our D kept them out of the end zone. We played well, but not great. NDSU gets credit for that.

Ha, ha . . . fully agree, NDSU played a solid game. 1 or 2 defensive lapses, or that would have been a masterpiece on D by NDSU . . . and Montana played a tough bend but don't break D too. I frankly thought that leaning on the kicker was perfect recipe for a hard fought defensive game. I give game balls to NDSU's kicker and punter, they were the difference in a tightly contested game.

Bizon said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:

Wow, have watched for 47 years, but still don't have a clue about the game. Ya, NDSU had a "bad" game. That is really funny. I just talked to 161 people who were there and they said NDSU didn't play a bad game.

To say NDSU played bad is laughable. Kliemen PRAISED his team after the game, praised Carson Wentz in a number of different quotes and was super proud of the Bison D. NDSU played very well. Did they want TD's instead of field goals? Of course, who IN their right mines prefers FG's? But they also had a lot of faith in that their D would get the job done, and there was no reason to take any gambles. And they were right. They leaned on their D, and the D came through. Nowhere did Klieman say they played bad, nowhere did Crockett say they played bad. Wentz was full of praise for his o-line after the game. He didn't brag about himself, but QB's never do. I do agree with one thing though, NDSU can play better. It's only the fifth week of the season and the Bison will get better and better, but it doesn not mean they played bad against the Griz. I have all the respect in the world for Eastern Washington, but come playoff time, NDSU will not lose.

Never once said that Kleinman or Crockett said we had a bad game?? Coaches are taught to be positive. These are my opinions and a ton of the people I spoke with. We played a bad game and if we get the rematch it will be a different story. If you gave the coaches and players truth serum they would agree. They are not going to be negative in their post game.

Bizon said:
Never once said that Kleinman or Crockett said we had a bad game?? Coaches are taught to be positive. These are my opinions and a ton of the people I spoke with. We played a bad game and if we get the rematch it will be a different story. If you gave the coaches and players truth serum they would agree. They are not going to be negative in their post game.
Your team got the win. Now go away and quit acting like a loser on the excuse train.

I am so tired of this, fans on both sides giving us hypothetical crap after the game is over. The game played out how it did. Could have each team played better in aspects? Hell yes. We have no idea or no way to know anything but what we got.

Both teams have things to clean up and improve as the season progresses. NDSU has more pressure due to having nowhere to go but down. Montana has a lot further to go to get to being a contender that NDSU is already. Right now, the GRIZ offense and inconsistent kicking game have the GRIZ no better than a pretender, along with every other team, but NDSU. From what I have seen so far this season, NDSU is the only team looking like a true championship contender. EWU is rated #2. I just cannot believe a team with that bad of defense can win it all, at any level. Like every other team, they have time to improve.

As for GRIZ/NDSU, I'd love to see a rematch this season in the playoffs in the semis or Championship. Can both sides please quit insulting the other fan base and programs? Some posters on each side make each fan base look like sore losers and bad winners. Both fan bases are better than this crap!!!

NDSU fans, I wish your team the best of luck and good health rest of this season. Can you a few of your fans please go to other sites, boards, etc? A few of you have worn out your welcome at egriz.

Hey BWalberg Griz Fan,
BisBison here from Bismarck,
Great Post report on game.
Lets respond with the same in return notes as you commented right on:

Penalities - Bison got away with a few for sure, we shot our selves in the foot with penalties that we never experienced in the past 2 years in the last few games. Clips, holds, jumps on the line, etc.... we have some serious work to do because we left 14 points off the board in the first half alone.If this continues heads will roll in Bison Fan land! Unacceptable.

However your D Bent but didn't break in the RZone and THAT is what a great team does. 4 FG's by us is 28 pts stopped. Your D is right on for your conference schedule. Your defense can slow down EWU or MSU in my opinion and those are BIG games to rise to the occasion later this season.

I love your QB -JJ, threw balls into tight coverage like Bret Farve. Gutsy but he was doing what it takes to pull off a win. Great Deep bomb - your best play of the day on Offense.

#7 - he should be used more in your offense. Great talent.
Canada - RB super Back! Underutilized in the plays. He is scary in open field. However our Bison D managed to keep him in check so he didn't bust loose to much, but still very good player.

Overall it went into the 4th qtr, which is what most Bison people thought could happen, and you are exactly right, your Dfense kept the Griz in the Game. Oh do I mention that getting to play Wyoming and seeing our offense in play definitely helped in the game planning. Your D was all over us in the first half I thought even though we had some good runs. They were ready for the most part.

The 4 facts most obvious:
1. Time of possession was double to Bison.
This is what our run games does, then a pass to catch a team with 8 or more in the box.

2. Rushing advantage - big time NDSU. Which plays into time of possession. No rush game for Griz. (However Bison are one of the best defenses in the nation)

3. Griz - could not stop the 3 headed Running game of the Bison in the second half especially the 4th qtr. They were very tired, and that is another trademark of conditioning the Bison team seems to have over other teams?

4. 4th qtr stat of Bison - They have not let a team score in the 4 qtr for well into last years season or more. They pride themselves in keeping teams out of the end zone in the 4th qtr.

Can't wait until we come out to Missoula next year. I have never been to Washington -Grizzly Stadium and it looks great for football. I will enjoy this year as I am already nervous as our Dfense will lose much experience and many good players after 2014.

Good luck this season. Beat EWU and MSU, we don't like them for obvious reasons in the past.

Be Herd, See ya Griz Fans until EWU & MSU games, we might have to jump in.

Go to bisonville.com and there is a good write up by a Griz fan on his thoughts of the dome, and Bison Fans.

Great post BisBison. Once again, you guys have a hell of a team. Anyone who thinks the Bison way is boring is nutts in my opinion. There is nothing boring about winning! I full believe, as Wentz will get better and better, the Bison will win another national championship this year.

It will be exciting to have NDSU in Wash-Griz next fall. I was hoping the Sept. 5 matchup would be a night game, but as I understand it, it won't be as NDSU and Montana have agreed to both games being afternoon kickoffs, so earlier charter flights could be arranged. NDSU did it for us this year apparently, and we will do the same for them next fall. Oh well, no matter the start time, it will be fun, and I expect to see ALOT of Bison fans in Missoula. A lot of people hate on all things Griz for alot of different reasons, but ONE thing oposing fan bases can't say is how easy it is to attend their team's game in Wash-Griz. If you want to come, you will not have trouble getting tickets.

NDSUSR [/quote] Lol. Come on now. I have tried to be civil on this board but this is idiotic.
Dont be ridiculous. NDSU wins this game at any stadium.[/quote]

I agree, I never once felt concerned about ndsu losing that game, and I was bored as hell. in fact myself like most ndsu fans were downright pissed and frustrated after the game.
hell just 1 touchdown instead of a FG and its 27-10 and we are all talking blowout.
2 touchdowns instead of a FG and its 32-10

fun to tailgate before the game, I think the TRUE griz fans were in fargo and some of you message board kings needs to step aside.

Bisonation said:
Dont be ridiculous. NDSU wins this game at any stadium.[/quote]

I agree, I never once felt concerned about ndsu losing that game, in fact myself like most ndsu fans were downright pissed and frustrated after the game.
hell just 1 touchdown instead of a FG and its 27-10 and we are all talking blowout.
2 touchdowns instead of a FG and its 32-10

fun to tailgate before the game, I think the TRUE griz fans were in fargo and some of you message board kings needs to step aside.[/quote]

Hell, if UM scores a TD after 1st and goal at the 5 instead of getting a FG at the end of the first half, UM is up 14-12 at the half. And if UM's still under-the-weather all-american receiver makes the catch in the end zone, instead of the pick by NDSU, UM is up 21-19 at the end of the 3d quarter. So there. By the way, that pick was a terrific play. Note that you started "hell" scenario.

Even given NDSU's seeming control of the game, a turnover by NDSU or either or both of the plays I mentioned, could have turned the game around. NDSU played well and deserved to win, but NDSU could have easily lost the game or at least had a bigger fight at the end of the game.

Bizon said:

And I thought egriz had some dumb posters. Once again, outdone by a nort' dakotan.

NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:
Then stop making stupid excuses that you would have won at home. You know it could have just as well be a 30 point spread. You need to re-watch the game.

Perhaps you need to.....at WaGriz you wouldn't have gotten away with the penalties you did. The noise factor would have been reversed, although I'm told the noise was a let down at the Fargodome - not really impressive. You got how many false starts when you had a quiet crowd....how many do you think you would've had here? lmao.....not sure you can count that high.

The Griz feed off the crowd. I won't say we would've won that game at home yesterday. I will GUARANTEE we would've.

I'm not even positive NDSU wins that game next week if we played in your stadium....from where I was sitting we were only 2-3 good plays from winning the game this week.

monte is a character said:
NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:
Then stop making stupid excuses that you would have won at home. You know it could have just as well be a 30 point spread. You need to re-watch the game.

Perhaps you need to.....at WaGriz you wouldn't have gotten away with the penalties you did. The noise factor would have been reversed, although I'm told the noise was a let down at the Fargodome - not really impressive. You got how many false starts when you had a quiet crowd....how many do you think you would've had here? lmao.....not sure you can count that high.

The Griz feed off the crowd. I won't say we would've won that game at home yesterday. I will GUARANTEE we would've.

Don't mind Oredigger. He overdosed on grape Kool-Aid laced with 10x confectioners.

Who is Oredigger? I don't think he's posted here for at least 8+ years.

Bizon said:

Considering you'd be going home....my guess is it would be quite bad. I chuckle at all this "we played a bad game" bs. Every team's fans never give credit to the opposition for playing a good game....it's always "we played a bad game". You took it one step further, "we won, but we played a bad game". You know.....we played a bad game too.

BisBison1 said:
Hey BWalberg Griz Fan,
BisBison here from Bismarck,
I love your QB -JJ, threw balls into tight coverage like Bret Farve. Gutsy but he was doing what it takes to pull off a win. Great Deep bomb - your best play of the day on Offense.

#7 - he should be used more in your offense. Great talent.
Canada - RB super Back! Underutilized in the plays. He is scary in open field. However our Bison D managed to keep him in check so he didn't bust loose to much, but still very good player..

#7 Henderson has been ill and did not participate in spring practice at all, and missed about 70% of fall practices. Henderson might be at 80% strength/quickness now. Henderson will be highly utilized in the offense going forward, and we hope he gets up to 100% soon.

NDSUSR said:
AZGrizFan said:
NDSUSR said:
get'em_griz said:
We can play that game too...

NDSU squeaked by Weber State and beat a DII team. (Incarnate Word, even though they are an FCS team, was DII last year and still plays like a DII program)

These whole "we beat this team worse than you beat that team" is just ridiculous. Any Given Saturday.

Well we also beat Iowa State and Montana. ;)
ISU by 20 and btw... Weber by 17. Not exactly squeaking by.
Not to offend, but has anyone here considered that NDSU played a terrible game?

Is it possible that might have been because of the efforts of your opponent? :roll:
I am not trying to diminish the strength of your D, they played very well as I have posted several times. But truthfully, NDSU played below average. Penalties in the red zone and returns killed us, red zone play selection was a mystery to all of us and our secondary gave up long pass plays on blown coverage. That is not typical for a NDSU team. Much improvement is needed.

Well, the GRIZ played below average as well.

So where, exactly, does that leave us in this ridiculous discussion?

Back