• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: An expected result but still a frustrating loss

I think both teams played good, and there is always room for improvement. Most of the time when a fan thinks the team played bad is a directly related to how the other team played. Neither team has anything to be ashamed of. Well fought game. Like any game there are always ifs and buts, which don't matter as the outcome is what the outcome is. We see the obvious plays but forget about the plays that aren't, and it is maybe a missed block or assignment that only the coaches see after studying tape. Every play is important and can change the game.

Games like this are why we love FCS football.

Bizon said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:
Every year the bison have a bad game or two. This was one of them. We played terrible and still won. Dominated the line of scrimmage and time of possession as well as first downs etc. We haven't allowed a point in 2nd half yet. We lost our record setting QB and 20 other seniors as well as entire coaching staff and AD and still are 4-0. If I were the other four teams we just beat I'd be worried? Hopefully our QB progress's at a rapid rate? if so I don't think a rematch would even be close. We doubled the griz up with a so so team now I cant imagine how bad the score would be at playoff time. Just my opinion

Right I get it. The play of the team on the other side of the line had nothing to do with the NDSU performance Saturday, it was just sort of a random 'bad game'.
Yep, we played a bad game. Iv'e been watching Bison for 47 years and just spoke with approx. 160 teammakers since Saturday and general consensus is we had a bad game. Our qb has only started 4 games and isn't the best right now. Our offensive coordinator didn't call the best first half. He admitted it. We are very lucky to be undefeated! Most of us thought this year would be a building year. That's why I say I would be worried if I were one of the four teams we just beat. We can only get better by playoff time

Thanks again for helping me understand. The Grizzlies get the 'bad game' while the 'good games' are offered for the Immaculate Word and Delaware State type teams, is that right?

mcg said:
Bizon said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:
Every year the bison have a bad game or two. This was one of them. We played terrible and still won. Dominated the line of scrimmage and time of possession as well as first downs etc. We haven't allowed a point in 2nd half yet. We lost our record setting QB and 20 other seniors as well as entire coaching staff and AD and still are 4-0. If I were the other four teams we just beat I'd be worried? Hopefully our QB progress's at a rapid rate? if so I don't think a rematch would even be close. We doubled the griz up with a so so team now I cant imagine how bad the score would be at playoff time. Just my opinion

Right I get it. The play of the team on the other side of the line had nothing to do with the NDSU performance Saturday, it was just sort of a random 'bad game'.
Yep, we played a bad game. Iv'e been watching Bison for 47 years and just spoke with approx. 160 teammakers since Saturday and general consensus is we had a bad game. Our qb has only started 4 games and isn't the best right now. Our offensive coordinator didn't call the best first half. He admitted it. We are very lucky to be undefeated! Most of us thought this year would be a building year. That's why I say I would be worried if I were one of the four teams we just beat. We can only get better by playoff time

Thanks again for helping me understand. The Grizzlies get the 'bad game' while the 'good games' are offered for the Immaculate Word and Delaware State type teams, is that right?

No it's not. NDSU has not played well since the Iowa game, and that wasnt really a great performance either. They are still a little "off" this year so far.

NDSUSR said:
No it's not. NDSU has not played well since the Iowa game, and that wasnt really a great performance either. They are still a little "off" this year so far.
It is quite clear who's a little "off" and I expect that it is more than just this year. You can be blind to the fact that your team plays a certain kind of football and is not all that "multiple" so anyone watching film can see trends and predictable play calls. You have the talent that mostly it doesn't matter but teams that also have talent (e.g. the Griz) can find ways to counteract at least some of what you are trying to do -- hence the field goals. Yeah you can blame it on performance or you can admit that time catches up with any scheme. I suspect you will continue to see your beloved Bizon continue to have a lot of "off games" as the competition figures out how to defend you.

Thanks for the post. Always informative. I thought we looked decent at times, especially the defense. However, if the goal of Griz football every year is a deep, deep playoff run, this game showed that we are not currently at that level. NDSU is a beast, no way around it.

Still plenty of season, so I'm not panicking just yet. The talent level is legit -- as it was last year. Let's hope coaching staff can bring it together and play to those strengths.

big kahuna said:
Still plenty of season, so I'm not panicking just yet. The talent level is legit -- as it was last year. Let's hope coaching staff can bring it together and play to those strengths.

You're among the minority. Many have pushed the panic button. Bitching and Saber-rattling and calls for firing the head coach, coordinators and all the assistant coaches, president of the university, etc. Rats scurrying to the life boats because we lost to Wyoming and North Dakota State by about combined 20 points.

NDSUSR said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:
mcg said:

I'm really learning a lot about football here. When I consider Saturday's game, it's clear the Griz had a bad game. Penalties, turnover in the red zone (more interceptions than TD passes, unheard of!), inability to turn third down into punts on defense, lack of ball-controlling drives on offense; overall a the Griz had a bad game! It's hard to believe that the game was as close as it was. I'm really looking forward to the Saturday where the Griz play a 'good game'.

Robsnotes4u said:
I think both teams played good, and there is always room for improvement. Most of the time when a fan thinks the team played bad is a directly related to how the other team played. Neither team has anything to be ashamed of. Well fought game. Like any game there are always ifs and buts, which don't matter as the outcome is what the outcome is. We see the obvious plays but forget about the plays that aren't, and it is maybe a missed block or assignment that only the coaches see after studying tape. Every play is important and can change the game.

Games like this are why we love FCS football.

I agree.

here is a illustration of a bad game: 4 turnovers, 2 missed fg's, 13 penalties, blocked punt.... The list goes on.

None of that happened in this game. Both teams played a solid game, one was just better than the other.

NDSUSR said:
mcg said:
Bizon said:
mcg said:

Something's a little off, all right....

That is your interpretation of a bad game. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion of a bad game is when our kicker gets player of the game. Yeah that's right, our kicker! That's never a good sign. Our kicker alone scored 5 more points than the entire griz team? Your standards are what they are but myself and everyone i've spoken with agree we had a bad game. A couple years ago we lost to Indiana state but played a good game. That's the beauty of football, everyone gets their own opinion

Bizon said:
That is your interpretation of a bad game. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion of a bad game is when our kicker gets player of the game. Yeah that's right, our kicker! That's never a good sign. Our kicker alone scored 5 more points than the entire griz team? Your standards are what they are but myself and everyone i've spoken with agree we had a bad game. A couple years ago we lost to Indiana state but played a good game. That's the beauty of football, everyone gets their own opinion

You are right about that and lucky for you, no IQ score above a shoe size is required.

ranco said:
Bizon said:

You are right about that and lucky for you, no IQ score above a shoe size is required.

Touché

Bizon said:
ranco said:
Bizon said:

Touché

:lol: :lol: :lol: Whooooosh...time to move along and go troll another opponent's board, dude, your 30 seconds of imagined fame are over.

Bizon said:
Never once said that Kleinman or Crockett said we had a bad game?? Coaches are taught to be positive. These are my opinions and a ton of the people I spoke with. We played a bad game and if we get the rematch it will be a different story. If you gave the coaches and players truth serum they would agree. They are not going to be negative in their post game.

I suggest you get a larger sample size of opinions. That's only 5 or 6 North Dakotans.

Bizon said:

Could be that the circumstance or coincidence of 11 guys in maroon lining up had some effect on you 'bad' performance!

Granted our tin Lizzie offense was likewise owned by your green/gold

Lucky for you. But, best of luck for season NDSU is a quality team,well coached, tough athletes.....it would be nice to meet again this year!

Bizon said:

Rarely do bad games happen in a vaccuum.

All these Bizzzon fans are right. Their team had a bad game.

Speaking of which, I always thought the Montana Grizzlies had a bad game when we won the 1995 National Championship while scoring only 22 points. It was really disappointing they didn't score 45 or more that day.

Frankly, they let me down. I'm sure Marshall University's defense had nothing to do with it.
:ugeek:

Ursa Major said:
Bizon said:
Never once said that Kleinman or Crockett said we had a bad game?? Coaches are taught to be positive. These are my opinions and a ton of the people I spoke with. We played a bad game and if we get the rematch it will be a different story. If you gave the coaches and players truth serum they would agree. They are not going to be negative in their post game.

I suggest you get a larger sample size of opinions. That's only 5 or 6 North Dakotans.

:lol: :lol: :clap:

POTYN!

Ursa Major said:
Bizon said:

Very underrated post right here.

Back