• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Road woes continue

stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:
I posted this in the game thread. Think it belongs here too.

This game was about execution, not coaching. Much like the NDSU game, the opposition doesn't do anything fancy, they do simple things and execute them to perfection.

The season is not over. It would have been great to win this game, but o-well. We pick ourselves up, dust off, and focus for Sac State. It is still entirely reasonable to think that we could win out. That would put us at 8-3 with big wins over MSU and EWU. I haven't given up, the GRIZ sure as hell won't, and neither should GRIZ nation.

GO GRIZ. Bring on Sac State.
Soooooo...in 2 and 1/2 years, it's been execution problems in 90% of the games against teams with winning records? I hope the players can clean this up...definately not a coaching issue.

2012 doesn't really count. New staff. Lost starting QB. Huge off the field distractions.

2013. Yes, I think it was mostly execution. In 2013 however, it was defensive execution killing us. This year, it appears to be offense (and defensive, but to a much lesser degree) execution.

Do I think every play call our coaches make is correct? No. But that doesn't mean that we are entirely being out-coached. The other side occasionally makes bad play calls too. Coaches occasionally make mistakes too. But that does not mean that this coaching stuff is being out-coached every game like everybody here believes. It is MOSTLY execution.

On to Sac State. Can't wait to yell REALLY loudly in Wa-Griz again. GO GRIZ!

The shocking quote of the day from Walberg or something to this effect from his last paragraph.

Griz need to dust themselves off. With Sac and EWU in the next two weeks they have time for two big signature wins/upsets and can get right back into this. Safe travels home guys, GO GRIZ!

Why does it seem like we are now in the role of being the underdog everytime we play. We have loads of talent. It's just the same old, same old. I'm ready to take a new turn with this staff

Eriul said:
putter said:
qwerty15ster said:

This game was about execution, not coaching. Much like the NDSU game, the opposition doesn't do anything fancy, they do simple things and execute them to perfection.

The season is not over. It would have been great to win this game, but o-well. We pick ourselves up, dust off, and focus for Sac State. It is still entirely reasonable to think that we could win out. That would put us at 8-3 with big wins over MSU and EWU. I haven't given up, the GRIZ sure as hell won't, and neither should GRIZ nation.

I half disagree. There has been a lot of lack of execution this year but what about adjustments? What about spying Poly's QB and take your chances with your secondary? We have a young OL and yet we still try power running.....there has been blame on both sides this year on the coaches and players

Bingo.

I think everyone and their mother could see the potential we have in the passing game. I think before the season started I was talking about how deadly it is on paper. And statistically our passing game is actually decent...when we do pass it... Fact is our running game does NOT work and everyone should know that. Hell I think we only put up 70 or so tonight on at least 20 tries... That's a horrible average... I'm not saying to change everything entirely but maybe we should stop game planning on "establishing the run" like we have been for the past f***[*] 3 years. It worked with lex, and chase, with our amazing o line but we don't have that line anymore. Time to adapt.
What

IroneagleXP said:
grizfnz said:
IroneagleXP said:
griz gave up 528 total yards. They finally played a productive offense...
Wow, we're almost up there with EWU. Ole'

ya. too bad you don't have the #1 rated offense to go with that shitty defense. :thumb:
Pretty sure MSU has the #1 offense at 43.6 points per game.

FARMDAWG said:
Iron eagle, how'd that #1 ranked offense do for you today? A loss is a loss.

FYI, i think a lot people think he's actually an MSU fan pretending to be an EWU fan. Ignore him. Don't feed the trolls.

qwerty15ster said:
stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:

Soooooo...in 2 and 1/2 years, it's been execution problems in 90% of the games against teams with winning records? I hope the players can clean this up...definately not a coaching issue.

2012 doesn't really count. New staff. Lost starting QB. Huge off the field distractions.

2013. Yes, I think it was mostly execution. In 2013 however, it was defensive execution killing us. This year, it appears to be offense (and defensive, but to a much lesser degree) execution.

Do I think every play call our coaches make is correct? No. But that doesn't mean that we are entirely being out-coached. The other side occasionally makes bad play calls too. Coaches occasionally make mistakes too. But that does not mean that this coaching stuff is being out-coached every game like everybody here believes. It is MOSTLY execution.

Out of curiosity, whose responsibility is to make the changes necessary for the players to be put in better position and opportunities to execute better? Sorry, but at this level, for every team it is on the coaching staff.

rcscott said:
The shocking quote of the day from Walberg or something to this effect from his last paragraph.

Griz need to dust themselves off. With Sac and EWU in the next two weeks they have time for two big signature wins/upsets and can get right back into this. Safe travels home guys, GO GRIZ!

Why does it seem like we are now in the role of being the underdog everytime we play. We have loads of talent. It's just the same old, same old. I'm ready to take a new turn with this staff

Loads of talent where? This is a TEAM game, and we're playing about 10 2nd/3rd teamers out there right now. Guys who weren't projected or expected to play until next year or the year after. We can bitch about not passing it often enough all we want, but it's become readily apparent over the past 2-3 games that the opposing defenses do NOT respect our running ability, they don't bite on the play action, and as a result our receivers RARELY get separation. It seems like every single catch is a miraculous, contested, unbelievable one. There are very few receptions made by "open" receivers lately. Even tonight CP's defensive backs looked all world in staying with Jones and Haynes step for step on just about every route they ran. JJ is left with no option but to chuck it into double and triple coverage and hope for the best. Honestly, it's a fricking miracle he hasn't had about 10 picked off at this point.

I'm hesitant to place too much emphasis on getting busrolled by a triple-option team. We've historically struggled against them. What concerns me more was our inability to take advantage of their (to this point) mediocre defense. That speaks VOLUMES about what the next few games are going to look like. We saw a defense tonight that was essentially exhausted by the 4th quarter and couldn't get themselves off the field. That gameplan ain't gonna work.

I predict 6-6 and on the outside looking in at this point.

qwerty15ster said:
stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:

Well...I'm going to count some extremely ignorant sh!t like the fake punt against SUU. I mean..I really had to look at the people next to me and pinch them . Did this really happen? Old stuff, but you tabulate it in your mind and keep it in the file for the big picture. This isn't about making the right calls "All" of the time. It is about an "enduring", sustained pattern. It all counts, quit kidding yourself... :egriz: I know the kids get pizza after the game and "don't" frat at the tailgates, eating hotdogs with the fans. We're beyond that now. It's time to get modernized on the field, don't you agree?

mtgrizrule said:
qwerty15ster said:
stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:

Out of curiosity, whose responsibility is to make the changes necessary for the players to be put in better position and opportunities to execute better? Sorry, but at this level, for every team it is on the coaching staff.

the last time i played the game...........if you did not do what the coaches asked of you you did not play.....so if i did not execute the coaches plan i was out......now is that really player execution.....yes, however, who is in charge of that execution...the coach, then whose responsibility is it to prepare the team....the player or the coach?
Duh coach. they have the last say.

mtgrizrule said:
qwerty15ster said:
stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:

It is on both the coaches and the players to get out there and win football games. The coaches come up with game plan, and the players execute it. It is up to the players to make the correct reads when out on the field, to take the right angles when attempting to make a tackle or make a pick, to get off blocks and make tackles, to call out proper blocking assignments on the O-line, to make accurate throws, to catch, and generally to be meaner than the other guy. This is not to say that losing is the player's fault. I'm not calling out any specific players. I'm only saying that football is a team activity. Coaches and players are part of that team.

I think what is missing here is credit being given to Cal Poly. They are a good football team and played very well tonight. How many mistakes did they make? Very few. When I say this game was about execution, it is NOT that we executed poorly. It's that Cal Poly executed better than we did. It happens. Well done Cal Poly. Now we move on to Sac State and try to execute better than them.

Eriul said:
Time to adapt.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Just wanted to quote that last line. This coaching staff has given us little reason to think they are capable of adapting unfortunately. Instead of adapting to use the talent we have they seem to be very stubborn in what they want to run. Occasionally we get glimpses of what could be, but it doesn't last long.

We just finished getting absolutely run over & dominated by the #14 in total yards offense in the FCS (#1 in rushing). They average 473yds per game, we gave up 528. They average 337 on the ground, we gave up 421. They average 33 points a game, we gave up 41.

Next week we face the team ranked #11 (as of end of last week) in total offense, #9 in passing, #39 in rushing and #11 in scoring. Hope our D rebounds and our O can sustain some drives to give them rest occasionally. Sac's D isn't mediocre like Cal Poly's...it's awful, so hopefully we'll see a little more life out of our offense.

qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:
qwerty15ster said:
stubbins said:

It is on both the coaches and the players to get out there and win football games. The coaches come up with game plan, and the players execute it. It is up to the players to make the correct reads when out on the field, to take the right angles when attempting to make a tackle or make a pick, to get off blocks and make tackles, to call out proper blocking assignments on the O-line, to make accurate throws, to catch, and generally to be meaner than the other guy. This is not to say that losing is the player's fault. I'm not calling out any specific players. I'm only saying that football is a team activity. Coaches and players are part of that team.

I think what is missing here is credit being given to Cal Poly. They are a good football team and played very well tonight. How many mistakes did they make? Very few. When I say this game was about execution, it is NOT that we executed poorly. It's that Cal Poly executed better than we did. It happens. Well done Cal Poly. Now we move on to Sac State and try to execute better than them.

the question still remains.......why would you start or even play the game at this level if you were unable to execute?

zirge said:
qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:
qwerty15ster said:

the question still remains.......why would you start or even play the game at this level if you were unable to execute?

Read the bold....

zirge said:
qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:
qwerty15ster said:

You missed one question. Why would you leave in players not executing? Even when the players are not executing, it is still the coaches responsibility to adjust the game plan and/or personnel. The reality of it is, this staff does not know what the words adjust, adjustment, adjustments, adjusting means. It is not part of the GRIZ coaching vocabulary.

mtgrizrule said:
zirge said:
qwerty15ster said:
mtgrizrule said:

You missed one question. Why would you leave in players not executing? Even when the players are not executing, it is still the coaches responsibility to adjust the game plan and/or personnel. The reality of it is, this staff does not know what the words adjust, adjustment, adjustments, adjusting means. It is not part of the GRIZ coaching vocabulary.

You also should read the bold.

Latest posts

Back