• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Predicting every FCS conference champion 2017

griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Their mentally tougher....Im not saying they would beat him on pure talent....but as far as being a tougher lead by example character....I think Brady lacked in that department.

LOL.

WHAT GARBAGE.

I dont understand what you liked about Gus so much?? He was an OK QB...but i would take basically every QB up to him before him...save maybe Roper...that guy was a turd.

But you act like you have to defend him so much...you dont.....He was a good guy off the field..never in trouble...smart and had all the talent in the world.....but there are somethings that he just refused to do, or couldnt do.

There was always just something there mentally holding him back...I dont know if it were lack of confidence or what but he did not have "IT"

I just know he understood this offense and always executed it better than any qb on the roster. I have no connection to him at all. But there is a reason why Stitt always went with him...

I think so many of you are placing way too much blame on the qb and very little on the system, which is where it belongs in my opinion.

People talking about mental toughness makes me laugh. Is Phillips "mentally tough"? Did he respond in a "mentally tough" manner after throwing 3 picks in the spring game?
It's so ridiculous. Making plays is what makes a player "mentally tough" imo.

But maybe we have a mentally soft team? And a mentally inept coach?

All you guys who have bashed BG while ignoring the real problem, look as foolish as ever.
I have to agree with some of your points, BG is being looked at by the NFL as a long shot as QB ... no NFL or FBS team is standing in line for coach Stitt.
Imo
It is good to be loyal as a fan, but if things don't turn around this year you would think even the die hards would re-evaluate the coach?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

griz5700 said:
Griz til I die said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
We dont have BG. He already said

Keep dreaming.

Gustafson would easily start over any qb currently competing for the job.
I beg to differ. I think all three of these QB's have the potential to be better than Gustafson

What makes you believe that?

Decision making & consistency. There have been very talented QB's that simply could not get their team to the next level because of those two items.

Drew Bledsoe is a great example, incredible talent but simply could not get his team to that next level because he'd do some of the craziest plays at the worse possible times.

Bisonfanatical said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
LOL.

WHAT GARBAGE.

I dont understand what you liked about Gus so much?? He was an OK QB...but i would take basically every QB up to him before him...save maybe Roper...that guy was a turd.

But you act like you have to defend him so much...you dont.....He was a good guy off the field..never in trouble...smart and had all the talent in the world.....but there are somethings that he just refused to do, or couldnt do.

There was always just something there mentally holding him back...I dont know if it were lack of confidence or what but he did not have "IT"

I just know he understood this offense and always executed it better than any qb on the roster. I have no connection to him at all. But there is a reason why Stitt always went with him...

I think so many of you are placing way too much blame on the qb and very little on the system, which is where it belongs in my opinion.

People talking about mental toughness makes me laugh. Is Phillips "mentally tough"? Did he respond in a "mentally tough" manner after throwing 3 picks in the spring game?
It's so ridiculous. Making plays is what makes a player "mentally tough" imo.

But maybe we have a mentally soft team? And a mentally inept coach?

All you guys who have bashed BG while ignoring the real problem, look as foolish as ever.
I have to agree with some of your points, BG is being looked at by the NFL as a long shot as QB ... no NFL or FBS team is standing in line for coach Stitt.
Imo
It is good to be loyal as a fan, but if things don't turn around this year you would think even the die hards would re-evaluate the coach?

I believe coaches should be given four years to see what they can accomplish, especially if you hire them to get your program back to where it used to be. You typically don't see improvements until years 3 and 4 of a coach's tenure, and that's mostly due to a coach finally having "his team" by that point. "His team" meaning the players he recruited are all on board and are buying into his philosophy. A perfect example is Craig Bohl at Wyoming. He finally has his team and on year 3 Wyoming saw progress that they hadn't seen in a long time. Some coaches get there a little quicker than others. But if after 4 seasons there hasn't been any progress and deep playoff runs, cut your losses and find someone else.

Griz fans who have been calling for Stitt's firing after two seasons are out of touch with reality. College football teams need consistency, and you're never going to have that consistency if you're constantly replacing coaches every two years. That's part of the reason why Montana has struggled the last several years. We've had 3 coaches in six seasons, each with different offensive strategies. Pflugrad 2010-2011, spread offense; Delaney 2012-2014, Pro Style; Stitt 2015-present, fast-paced/spread offense. I really don't want to see a 4th coach after only 7 seasons.

Spanky said:
Get'em, this is the third year with Stitt, not the second year.

I seem to recall he's only coached two full seasons at Montana to this point, but what do I know... I've never played the game.

Which means he is now in his 3rd year. Maybe you think he needs another 20 years to recruit his people?

Spanky said:
Which means he is now in his 3rd year. Maybe you think he needs another 20 years to recruit his people?

If you want to be literal, then yes he's "in his 3rd year". I'm talking about actual full-seasons he's coached. Has he coached a single game in 2017 yet? No, he hasn't. He's only coached two full seasons. He's currently beginning his third.

As for your comment about needing another 20 years, I posted earlier that if we don't see improved results after 4 years (Big Sky titles, deep playoff runs), we should cut our losses and move on.

Spanky said:
Ok, except I think he needs to accomplish your objectives after 3 years, not 4.

Even though I think 4 years should be given from a program consistency standpoint, I think your expectation of 3 years is reasonable.

griz5700 said:
Griz til I die said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
We dont have BG. He already said

Keep dreaming.

I beg to differ. I think all three of these QB's have the potential to be better than Gustafson

Gus missed 2 or 3 wide open WR (Long gainers) almost every game he played... Could not run to save his life and peed down his leg when any DL got near him.

If you doubt me just look at the first "drive" at NAU...

Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:
Griz til I die said:
griz5700 said:
Keep dreaming.

Gus missed 2 or 3 wide open WR (Long gainers) almost every game he played... Could not run to save his life and peed down his leg when any DL got near him.

If you doubt me just look at the first "drive" at NAU...

Yet Stitt continually stated BG was your best option at QB by far, and he was head and shoulders better than any of the other QBs on your roster. How do you explain that?

BG started 9 games, threw for a 300 plus average per game at a 67% completion rate.
Good height and weight.
He is getting somewhat of a look in the NFL.
The problem is more than BG?

Bisonfanatical said:
BG started 9 games, threw for a 300 plus average per game at a 67% completion rate.
Good height and weight.

The problems were numerous and many on the board know it. Getem-Griz has the most reasonable post that I have read in a very long time on this board. Fan = fanatical and egriz has plenty of them. The program ran straight into the ditch with the JJ situation and the firing of Pflugrad. Plain and simple. Major consistency problems with coaching over the past 8 years and BG certainly was not to blame for the record or performance of the team. I personally am not his greatest fan, but to blame him is foolish. Offensive line, scheme, young receivers, special teams, defense. You name it. The Griz have to get better and I am confident that will happen. I believe they will be much improved this year and next year will be a deep playoff run. Rebuilding takes time and this fan base has zero patience.

Copper Griz said:
Bisonfanatical said:
Good height and weight.

The problems were numerous and many on the board know it. Getem-Griz has the most reasonable post that I have read in a very long time on this board. Fan = fanatical and egriz has plenty of them. The program ran straight into the ditch with the JJ situation and the firing of Pflugrad. Plain and simple. Major consistency problems with coaching over the past 8 years and BG certainly was not to blame for the record or performance of the team. I personally am not his greatest fan, but to blame him is foolish. Offensive line, scheme, young receivers, special teams, defense. You name it. The Griz have to get better and I am confident that will happen. I believe they will be much improved this year and next year will be a deep playoff run. Rebuilding takes time and this fan base has zero patience.

There is absolutely no place for common sense on this board. It will not be tolerated. :protesst:

Mavman said:
ndsu will win the MVFC and the BIGSKY then follow it up with another national title. They are that good!

Yes, too bad they don't allow SS teams in the FCS like baseball spring training. bison SS-A team would win the Valley, and the Bison SS-B would handle the Big Sky.

Back