• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question about why the Griz are ranked in the top 15

Robsnotes4u said:
Pin2Win said:
Robsnotes4u said:
Pin2Win said:
Everything starts with the preseason ranking, like it or not. So history goes into every ranking. It makes sense that the Griz were ranked high in the preseason. Until last weekend, the Griz didn't give voters any reason to drop them. Losses against #1 and an FBS school are not reasons to drop a team very far. Even the loss to Cal Poly is somewhat palatable in a voter's mind. Cal Poly is generally a good, winning football program and in the playoffs fairly consistently.

The preseason ranking makes sense. Seeded in the playoffs last year. Payton nominee at QB, Buchannon nominee DE, All conference WR's, RB's, etc. The o-lines injuries/issues had not occurred yet. Add a strong tradition of winning and there ya go.

Two reasons the voters had to drop the Griz before the loss.
1. A blocked field goal in the last minute, then kicking the game winning field in the final seconds against UND.
2. UCDavis has the ball with 3:11 left in the game down by 7, with a chance to win or tie. UCDavis lost by 40 to the Cats.

That is a trend of squeaking by two low end teams in the BSC. Plenty of reason for anyone to lower them, when other teams were playing better.
Do you think a voter sitting in any other state outside of the Big Sky footprint, and even within the footprint for that matter, is actually looking at that much detail of every game? The Griz won those games, right? Arguing about almost-wins and almost-losses is beyond pointless. Anybody that has been around and knows something about football realizes that each game takes on a personality of its own. Bad teams play good games, good teams have bad games. A win is a win, a loss is a loss. Outside of Cal Poly, the Griz have won all of the games they should have won (in the voter's eyes).

Thank you for proving my point. That is the reason the Massey Composite makes sense. A voter cannot watch all the games, compare everything, and then vote in one day. How many games do you watch a week?
Not sure what point I was proving. I don't think I proved anything. The topic of the thread is why are the Griz ranked in the top 15. That's the only question I've been answering. I don't vote so I have no reason to watch a ton of games, or even look at anything beyond a quick box score. I typically watch 2 FCS games each week, the Cats and the Griz.

Any systems that rank teams that don't play each other is flawed. Polls are never accurate. Computer systems that take point spread, etc. are flawed. They don't take into account so many factors...weather, injured players, coaches game system (hang tons of points or control the clock), officiating, and others. That is why I'm such a big fan of the FCS and the number of teams in the playoffs. Allow 24 teams in, and the odds are the best team is in that pool of 24. Do they get team #24 vs. leaving out #25 right? Probably not, but that most likely won't determine a national champion.

At the end of the day, the Griz aren't as bad as so many non-Griz folks here try to make them look. They aren't as good as others try to make the look. But they can only beat the teams they line up to play. Up to this point, they've won the games they should have, except Poly. Which would actually mean something if it was only an 8 game season. But there's 4 more to play so the story of the season is not complete. They have a good team and are a legitimate threat to beat a lot of good teams, including EWU and MSU.

marceagfan5 said:
The Griz are ranked in the top 15 because you are better than the teams ranked 15 or worse, simple as that.

The Griz have a strong history which tends to bode well for early season rankings so you won't drop too far because you start higher, but in reality, the Griz are a top 15 team.

The fact that so many on hear think the sky is falling is crazy. You guys won't lose to Sac at home and things are going to be fine. You won't lose to SUU on the road either. EWU probably won't have Adams against you and you get the Cats at home, things are going to be fine for the Griz.

One loss, to a good Cal Poly team on the road, and everything goes to hell...You lost to an FBS team on the road, the #1 ranked FCS team on the road, and a Cal Poly team on the road who played you as if it was their super bowl.

As much as I hate to say it, things will be fine in Griz land....
Marijuana is now legal in Washington

Big G said:
Az so eager to be the cool kid has now resorted to posting scores against teams like central washington, and other d2 schools to prove a point. If he can't look in the mirror and see that glaring back at him there is no way he will ever turn it around.

Hey troll....does yesterday's game count as "rolling" someone? 31-6 until there's :32 left in the game?

Big G said:
Robsnotes4u said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Big G said:
History, we should not have been in the top 15 at any time this year.
Name the 15 teams that are better then us and why. I want statistical breakdowns, scheduel comparisons, and any other factors that may be included in deciding a top 15 team. You have been challenged, now go!

Here are 29 teams that are better. They use the statistics, can't break it down
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Rob you are wasting your time these guys are blind homers and logic hasn't been around here for years. You are correct on the informartion you prosted, it is hard to argue with math.

Stats are a fickle bitch, aren't they? :lol: :cool:

Back