• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on offense going into spring camp

behappp said:
reinell30 said:
I think Phillips comes out of fall camp as the starter with Gresch Jensen the clear #2. I also think this Hill kid will see the field quite a bit. I think by game 3 or 4, Jensen will start and the battle for #2 will be between Hill and Phillips.

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that the "Hill kid" will be the 3rd string QB yet see the field quite a bit?

We had better have lots of big leads or big deficits for the 3rd string QB to do this.

Phillips will be the #1 starter out of spring training. Stitt loves Jensen, he is his recruit, he is the future of Griz QB. Stitt offense is most successful when two QB's can run the offense effectively. Stitt hasn't had this at UM yet. Phillips will lead, Jensen will follow. Then Jensen will lead and Hill will follow. Next year, Jensen will lead from the get go and Hill will follow. This is Stitt's scheme. Now, once these young men hit the field, this is all subject to change, as I am sure you realize being a Griz fan? The sooner Jensen is the starter, the happier Stitt will be. Success has to be measured 1st.

reinell30 said:
behappp said:
reinell30 said:
I think Phillips comes out of fall camp as the starter with Gresch Jensen the clear #2. I also think this Hill kid will see the field quite a bit. I think by game 3 or 4, Jensen will start and the battle for #2 will be between Hill and Phillips.

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that the "Hill kid" will be the 3rd string QB yet see the field quite a bit?

We had better have lots of big leads or big deficits for the 3rd string QB to do this.

Phillips will be the #1 starter out of spring training. Stitt loves Jensen, he is his recruit, he is the future of Griz QB. Stitt offense is most successful when two QB's can run the offense effectively. Stitt hasn't had this at UM yet. Phillips will lead, Jensen will follow. Then Jensen will lead and Hill will follow. Next year, Jensen will lead from the get go and Hill will follow. This is Stitt's scheme. Now, once these young men hit the field, this is all subject to change, as I am sure you realize being a Griz fan? The sooner Jensen is the starter, the happier Stitt will be. Success has to be measured 1st.

WOW! All this inside knowledge before Spring camp has even started.

One thing I do think you are probably right about - with Valpo, UDub and Savannah State as the first 3 games, what should be 2 easy wins and 1 "we're gonna get rolled" loss, give us is a good chance to find a clear #1 QB for EWU at home, our 4th game.

We better have a clear #1 by game 4 as I don't believe we can be successful if we have rotating QB's during the season. Barring injury, of course. We need a clear leader and on offense that is almost always the QB.

Spanky said:
News Flash! The little guy in the green hat is an Offensive Genius! The Griz are expected to destroy all opponents without mercy!! :thumb: :thumb:
Word is he's doing a pretty great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't give a rats behind who wins the staring position except to say this .....stitt surely did not bring in hill to be a back up...he must figure he can compete for the number one job, same with phillips....I would look for those two to be tjhe leading candidates for the qb position...

If the Stitt mystery offense is so difficult for a college QB to learn, maybe Stitt should be told to run a different offense?

BWahlberg said:
firmgriz said:
reinell30 said:

I think we see Phillips starting the whole season, barring injury. He is stepping up as the presumed #1 and he takes a lot of pride and is super excited about wearing the mantle. We didn't see what he is capable of last year. I think this spring will be his coming out party. I'm really excited about the tangible skills and the intangible leadership qualities he brings to the table.

I tend to think this as well. Thinking about the progression that Chalich had from year 1 to year 2 as a transfer coming in and getting familiar with the offense, the OL, the WRs, etc - if we see similar to better from Phillips we'll have a good starting QB through the season.

Add to the fact that Phillips was also surrounded by other QB's who had at least one year under their belt for assistance as well. Peer coaching.

The more you think about Gus learning the system and playing well was impressive.

It's time to win football games again. The AD needs to instruct the coach to have an offense the QB's can understand. I'm weary of reading about the Stitt offense while we lose to the Bobcats.

Spanky said:
If the Stitt mystery offense is so difficult for a college QB to learn, maybe Stitt should be told to run a different offense?
Brady seemed fine with it in his first year.

Yes, true, but all we have heard since is how difficult the offense is for a QB to learn. I think UM should be about winning football games instead of showcasing the Stitt offense that doesn't work.

Spanky said:
Yes, true, but all we have heard since is how difficult the offense is for a QB to learn. I think UM should be about winning football games instead of showcasing the Stitt offense that doesn't work.

Could be more about the QB's we've had than about Stitt's offense. I'm not saying they weren't talented, but maybe they weren't the best fit. But I'd agree that now that 2 of Stitt's recruits have 1 year in the system, we better see some improved QB/offensive play this year, regardless of wherethe W-L record ends up.

We have some serious talent at Wide receiver in the rs frosh class going into spring ball.
.... Not much mention of rs fr Brennan Corbin going into spring camp. If you watch the videos of his his senior season , the kid looked like a man among boys in size and speed.....Talk about potential. Thoughts?

Only real question on O is QB

Ol will be much improved
WR will be much improved
RB will be better than last year

Much like D where all facets will be better...
CB is the real question. Will they be better or will D coaches change philosophy to give them some help

Kabooom said:
We have some serious talent at Wide receiver in the rs frosh class going into spring ball.
.... Not much mention of rs fr Brennan Corbin going into spring camp. If you watch the videos of his his senior season , the kid looked like a man among boys in size and speed.....Talk about potential. Thoughts?

Agree completely. Stitt has recruited size and speed. Just need an efficient QB to complete the package. I'm hoping one of these guys emerges.

brewskis said:
Spanky said:
Brady seemed fine with it in his first year.

Until his leg got broken.

Spanky said:
Not sure it's so "difficult." It's obviously not a mystery. Most of the Big Sky, 3-5, seems to have figured it out.

Back