• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on offense going into spring camp

The old fashioned drummer type only sells the sizzle, then leaves town when people figure him out.

griz71 said:
One glaring component of last year's squad not mentioned in this thread was the historically abysmal performance (more correctly non-performance) of our not so Special Teams. I say add this as #7 to Brint's list of questions. It goes without saying that we MUST find a place-kicker who can kick off (hopefully deep), hit Field Goals on a consistent basis, and then a punter with multiple skills. Someone who can kick long, high, and deep would obviously be great but if we can't find someone with those skills then consider getting and developing a player with rugby-kick type capabilities and/or using an old-school tactic of coffin corner kicks...especially if our return coverage teams have problems preventing long runbacks.

Perhaps some of our new recruits will improve our KO and punt return numbers (as one poster suggested) but maybe we also need better schemes to make them more successful? We no doubt could use better discipline as well in staying in our lanes.

As far as offense goes lets get DOLA back from the dark ages so our QB's will have the time they need to execute the plays. As for the QB's, I believe Griz fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by what they are going to accomplish. Like a couple other posters I see Phillips entering Spring Ball as the likely signal caller favorite but I also strongly see Jensen as scrapping hard for the position and just maybe grabbing it by the end of camp if not after a few games into the regular season. It is critical for the ground game to come around this year to make this offense more versatile. Obviously just because we have 24 WR's doesn't mean we are going to move the pigskin consistently.

Defensively we need to get nasty and our DC has to man up his schemes to play FCS caliber games if we are going to compete for championships.

My two cents worth.

My hope is that our friend GF24 will come back to post here. He's got some great insights on what it takes to play online in this offensive scheme. As he put it in another forum, and paraphrasing here - it's going to take strength, savy & communications for the offensive line to do its "job" so that the flashy facets of this offense have a shot @ succeeding. Things happen way to quickly for there to be a bunch of crowd pleasing pancaked defenders every play. I'd personally table DOLA for smart & effective - the doing the job well part.

Back