• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ryan Edwards Glacier 7 footer

temp said:
I hate to rain on the parade (or the fun thread, as in this case) but Edwards signed a letter of intent in the fall. That is a binding legal document that the school can not just back out of. Unless he gave them legal cause to end the contract he will be going there in the fall.

I would like to have another MT kid too, but at this point we just don't have a spot for him. We have one remaining scholorship and I am sure Tinks is going to use it on a JC big guy, if I were to guess I would think more a PF than a center.

Also, concerning Bradshaw. I am reasonably sure that he is going to have to walk-on next year and get a scholorship the following year if he works out. After he left USU he was going to come here one way or the other, so why would Tinks pay for something he can get for free?

I heard from a Glacier parent that he did not "sign" last fall, but committed (I assume verbally). I heard basically the same story that was in the first post in this thread.

I agree though, if he did sign, they are stuck with each other. I also thought I read where Bradshaw did have a scholarship after this spring.

I've found Google is pretty helpful when determining whether or not something is true.

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205738019&SPID=90846&SPSID=627537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12/13 scholarships and even on the deepest teams how many play? I'd heard both that Gonzaga withdrew offer after verbal only (must not be the case), but also that they are happy to sign 2 or 3 7 footers and see who pans out. The end of evry top 10/20 team has two or three guys that rarely play......but if you get the 7 footer that really develops, he's more likely to move off the bench before than the 3rd or 4th best guard or small forward that never will.

I wish Edwards well and not intending to bash him here. Big guys tend to get analyzed as slow and unathletic...but an extra 4 - 7 inches makes up for some of that. Tinkle himself never seemed the picture of an athlete but proved pretty effective at UM and in Europe.

temp said:
http://www.kxly.com/sports/GU-Men-add-2-big-men-on-NLI-Day/-/100918/17412144/-/oe6l4j/-/index.html

I can't find anywhere that says he did not actually sign. Looks to be a done deal in November.

grizpack, on Bradshaw: I could be wrong but I don't think he has a scholorship for next fall. I heard a rumor that he was given Kovacevic's scholly for this semester, but I don't know if that is true or even possible.
The current Griz roster has only twelve scholarship players, so I guess, at least based on available scholarships, that is possible.

temp said:
I hate to rain on the parade (or the fun thread, as in this case) but Edwards signed a letter of intent in the fall. That is a binding legal document that the school can not just back out of. Unless he gave them legal cause to end the contract he will be going there in the fall.

I would like to have another MT kid too, but at this point we just don't have a spot for him. We have one remaining scholorship and I am sure Tinks is going to use it on a JC big guy, if I were to guess I would think more a PF than a center.

Also, concerning Bradshaw. I am reasonably sure that he is going to have to walk-on next year and get a scholorship the following year if he works out. After he left USU he was going to come here one way or the other, so why would Tinks pay for something he can get for free?

I 100% agree with that statement. What i was told was that when he signed his letter they told him that he had to lose some weight and work on a couple of things. When they met recently he had not lost weight but gained a few pounds and didnt do anything that they asked of him. This meant that he broke their agreement therefore they could refuse the scholorship. But with all the doubts i am begginning to doubt my source of information. I wasnt trying to make any garunteed statements I was just curious if anyone else had heard something similar. I doubted the source myself but they were very adiment about the topic

greasewood said:
He should tryout for the football team.

Amen. If he shows up in Missoula take out for buffalo wings. It should be easy to hang another 50 on that frame and presto- the biggest OT in Griz history. If he can play basketball Gragg can probably teach him what he needs in the trenches!

I hope he can get down to 260. Less weight would help his quickness, defense, rebounding, and positioning. For him to even have a chance to play div 1 the weight has to drop. As for the GRIZ, this team is made of a lot of quickness for transition defense and offense. Qvale, Selvig, Hutchison, and Martin were not fast big men, but far from slow. They did not hinder the transition game, and all with good enough movement to be in position defensively. Qvale was great in protecting the paint. Selvig more of help defender that contested shots. Hutchison more of hold your position defender and shot contester. Martin, moves really well for a big, with discipline, experience, and strength, he can be somewhere between Qvale and Selvig.

Hate to be hard on Edwards, but sounds like Few, and I am sure other coaches have told emphasized how important being in shape is. It looks like he does not care enough to dedicate himself to it. I hope he figures this out, or he is going to waste away a lot of God given ability, with his size.

Didn't the Edwards kid form Butte also have a lot of potential and just did not live up to his potential? I seen him play his Soph through SR years a few times. The kid was a beast, with a good Div 1 power forward body, and pretty solid athlete athlete too. Too bad he was not committed to the game, he could have been a great one.

Here is to Ryan Edwards committing himself to the game.

Maybe there will be an update here later. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&yr=2013&pid=-1&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=391&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe I am selling him short, and apparently the GRIZ did offer him too.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/168265/ryan-edwards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't get too excited about the kid. I have seen him play many times, as well as watched his older brother Jeff, who played for Butte High then the cats for a couple of years. They are good highschool players because they are much larger than everyone else, but I do not see him being a contributor at a Divison 1 school. The athleticism or quickness just aren't there.

Rats of Butte said:
I wouldn't get too excited about the kid. I have seen him play many times, as well as watched his older brother Jeff, who played for Butte High then the cats for a couple of years. They are good highschool players because they are much larger than everyone else, but I do not see him being a contributor at a Divison 1 school. The athleticism or quickness just aren't there.

I did not know they were brothers. I wonder what the likes of Gonzaga, WSU, and the GRIZ see in him then? Then again, he is a big boy, but there has to be something there to give 3 regional div 1 schools all offering you. We shall see.

The immediate need for next season is a big who is ready to contribute. We don't need another project. We have one with Andy Martin. If Edwards wants to come as a walk-on and prove himself, that would be OK.

http://www.jalc.edu/departmentpages/english/pdfs/write_place_tutorials/41_the_proper_use_of_see_saw_and_seen.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

love4daGRIZ said:
I was recently informed that that Gonzaga has pulled his scholorship and he is no loger going there. I was wondering if anyone had better information on this topic than myself? If this is true i am also curious if wayne would make a move for him. I have seen him play a couple of times and his needs alot of work but you cant coach 7 foot 300lbs..and having two 7 footers in the program would be interesting!

I do not believe he was a scholarship player, I believe he was walking on. If he was on schollie, they can't just yank it.

You guys are putting too much stock into the old argument, "it's a binding legal contract."

Not too long ago, a coach named Larry Krystowiak made headlines for "wiggling out" of a scholarship after a kid signed a LOI. A kid can opt out of a scholarship. If he's not wanted anymore, it's clearly not a good fit, then it's in the kid's best interest to put himself back on the market.

I don't know if Edwards signed a scholarship or not, but it's not impossible to opt out, like many are claiming. If the Zags no longer want him, then I'm sure he's looking for a new home, whether he signed earlier or not.

Just because everyone who currently has a scholarship may be engaged and buying into the Griz program, that's no guarantee they'll all be keeping their scholarships next year. The coaches may have to make some tough decisions to cut somebody loose to free up a scholarship(s) to get a game-ready big(s) next year. Unlike years ago when kids could get 4 year guaranteed scholarships, it's year to year now.

Back