• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Same ole Stitt different week

SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:
So Stanley wants Stitt to adapt to what is available for possible short term success as opposed to stick to what he wants for perceived the long term success....
No reason he can't do both...minor adjustments given current situation is not incompatible with what he wants to do long term.

So you want him to use TEs and FBs?

Wait, we have some? Kidding. 2 back set occasionally, add some designed plays, fewer reads...there are ways I believe.

You do understand that your "small" changes go against the entire basis of his offense...hence not so small.

The primary difference between Montana and CSM is that he built the program into a winner taking chances and the fans appreciated that. When his gambles didn't pay off, nobody was asking for his head: they knew it wasn't going to work on 4th down 100% of the time or even close to that. When it starts working 80% of the time here this dissenting in the ranks will melt away.

My guess is that short passes for 3 yards do work 85-95% in practice. As a coach you would expect them to work at game time at the same rate.

Soldier, adjustments need to be made all the time, but you can't make full scale changes. And yes, some players need to work harder doing the things necessary. Within this offense, you need a running back that can block in pass pro...you need receivers, especially in the slot, that can run block...the current group is struggling and hopefully someone steps up....and JN is not the answer at RB.

reinell30 said:
Did our special teams all of sudden get to be outstanding? Why just five short weeks ago people were complaining about kicking field goals. If you line up the field goal team and they ATTEMPT these two field goals and they miss one or both, then everyone says, Stitt should have went for it. There is just no pleasing people. Jeez....

Actually.. if we would have kicked the FG both times and missed then i wouldnt have anything to say, because ot was the right call. As i stated before the 4th and 1 deep in the redzone was fine because ultimately theyre pinned if we didnt make it. But a pass was the issue.

At the end of the day this isnt CSM, we are not trying to turn around a program and make them in to a "contender".

quise2024 said:
reinell30 said:
Did our special teams all of sudden get to be outstanding? Why just five short weeks ago people were complaining about kicking field goals. If you line up the field goal team and they ATTEMPT these two field goals and they miss one or both, then everyone says, Stitt should have went for it. There is just no pleasing people. Jeez....

Actually.. if we would have kicked the FG both times and missed then i wouldnt have anything to say, because ot was the right call. As i stated before the 4th and 1 deep in the redzone was fine because ultimately theyre pinned if we didnt make it. But a pass was the issue.

At the end of the day this isnt CSM, we are not trying to turn around a program and make them in to a "contender".[/quote]

Actually he kinda is....

Key word was "we" the fans, which im going out on a limb and soeaking for everyone.

This wasnt some 2 win laughing stock program in the BSC

quise2024 said:
Key word was "we" the fans, which im going out on a limb and soeaking for everyone.

This wasnt some 2 win laughing stock program in the BSC

no, but they haven't been a real contender for a while either...

Stitt probably has more football knowledge than all of you together. I remember the first years of many of our coaches, and they weren't that great. I'm willing to lose every game if he is building his offense the way he wants it. Three or four years from now we can have a more intelligent conversation about Stitt. I personally think the future looks pretty bright.

grizindabox writes:

"So Stanley wants Stitt to adapt to what is available for possible short term success as opposed to stick to what he wants for perceived the long term success....WTF? "

"So you want him to use TEs and FBs? ...Where did that come from?...This is a debate tactic known as FALSE ALTERNATIVES.

grizindabox is committed to use whatever tactics are necessary to counter ANY criticism of coach Stitt.

Unless of course it's HIS critique of his beloved coaches choice of running backs... "and JN is not the answer at RB".

grizindabox sits at his keyboard prepared to use FALSE ALTERNATIVES.

In essence he suggests... "so if you don't agree with me, the U of M should drop football"... C'mon man!

I'm gonna guess Stitt is signed up for a three year contract. Unless there is some sort of scandal, the administration will not look to get rid of Stitt until then. Complaining about him now does no good. I'm willing to wait a while to see what good will be done.

Stanley, I not once mentioned dropping football. I asked Soldier a question in reference to several things he has posted...nothing more. Cameo gets it, although I wouldn't want to lose every game. Why is JN not the answer, because he does not pass block well enough...not a difficult thing to see. As for Stitt, it has been six games with 3 different QB's...guess that is enough for several of you, but I am not that quick to judge.

As for Stitt, I think he rolls the dice too often, but he is also working with parts that don't fit what he wants to do. Thinking he should be replaced already is dumb.

But keep up the good work Stanley...you are doing fucking awesome....

You guys are kidding right? He is bullheaded and his ego dictated passing on those FG's. His long term goals and his short term goal need to mesh, right. Well, had he done what 99.9% of good coaches would have done in that situation, he would have in all probability won that game. Thus, his short term decision would have helped re-inforce his long term goals. Now, how do you think his players are feeling about that. Don't forget that they are students of the game too. He just stuck a caution sign in the minds of his players on the direction he is going. The Cal Poly game was similar on the last drive. Had he done what everyone (including 99%) of other coaches would have done, he would have pinned Poly back inside their ten and made them go another 20-30 yards with little or no time left to get into position to kick the FG. He keeps this up and he will lose those players. You have to be smart as well as arrogant if you want to lead. Players will follow a good leader. That smartness or lack of, is starting to come up for debate. Oh, and those minor adjustments are a big part of his long term goals and those players know it.

Joseppy said:
You guys are kidding right? He is bullheaded and his ego dictated passing on those FG's. His long term goals and his short term goal need to mesh, right. Well, had he done what 99.9% of good coaches would have done in that situation, he would have in all probability won that game. Thus, his short term decision would have helped re-inforce his long term goals. Now, how do you think his players are feeling about that. Don't forget that they are students of the game too. He just stuck a caution sign in the minds of his players on the direction he is going. The Cal Poly game was similar on the last drive. Had he done what everyone (including 99%) of other coaches would have done, he would have pinned Poly back inside their ten and made them go another 20-30 yards with little or no time left to get into position to kick the FG. He keeps this up and he will lose those players. You have to be smart as well as arrogant if you want to lead. Players will follow a good leader. That smartness or lack of, is starting to come up for debate. Oh, and those minor adjustments are a big part of his long term goals and those players know it.

That does not even make sense....who said his long term goals and short term goals aren't meshing?

grizindabox if think Joseppys comments don't make sense, and you choose only to address a single line of his entire post... "who said his long term goals and short term goals aren't meshing?"...I've concluded it's impossible to DISCUSS anything with you. Rest assured I'll not rebut anything you type in the future. By the way, you missed the ng in f------.
Best wishes.

Stanley said:
grizindabox if think Joseppys comments don't make sense, and you choose only to address a single line of his entire post... "who said his long term goals and short term goals aren't meshing?"...I've concluded it's impossible to DISCUSS anything with you. Rest assured I'll not rebut anything you type in the future. By the way, you missed the ng in f------.
Best wishes.

All good Stanley, I know it is difficult to discuss something you don't get....

grizindabox said:
Also, there is no way to know how the game plays out if the Griz kick the FG. People just want to look at the score and say they would have won, but a quarter and a half of football would have been played differently by the changing events....

Certainly true. But give the third-string QB some help by attempting two FGs that have a high probability of success when you are down by seven points and have a dependable defense. I recognize Stitt has a system, I understand the calculations about fourth down and running up the offensive play count, and I have applauded his coaching at UM before Saturday. The Grizzlies should not have lost to this Weber State team at home, had opportunities to score points that were forsaken, and offensive coaching decisions were the most likely reason for not emerging from this contest with a win. I look forward to greater success next year and the year after, but I still hope for victories this year when they are attainable because I enjoy attending home games after Thanksgiving. Should anyone give up on Stitt as the Grizzlies head coach? No. Should coach Stitt cast aside some of his hubris? Absolutely.

all you anti-Stitt guys have won me over...looking forward to another 2.5 seasons of mediocrity...I mean if he can't win now with a below average OL and maybe barely average QB and no RB ready to do everything necessary within the offense, the guy will never win....

Back