• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SDSU Media's thoughts on the Montana / Stitt media policies

Grisly Fan said:
grzz said:
I actually think there is some merit to the complaint. I also think Zimmer is whining against it way too much, but it does seem a bit ridiculous. The school can control it. They could have given one hour today and prepped the one or two players that would have been requested.

It is fun to learn about players on the other team, and I honestly think we have some great student athletes who are deserving of getting recognition and being a bit more well known. They are good kids. It won't kill them, and it won't distract them from this game or any other.
Yeah but if you don't want your QB to talk about the game then what does he talk about? His favorite color? His zodiac sign? They are going to want to ask him about the game and the coach doesn't want to force Gus to make up a bunch of excuses why he won't talk about it so let them interview someone else. Seems pretty simple to me.

I think Brady is smart enough to handle it. I am a big Stitt fan, but this is over managing in my opinion. And I know Stitt isn't alone in this approach, but sometimes we make football way more complicated than it really is.

Good night Irene. Seriously - this reporter is making way too much of this. Quit whining already. I don't give to stitt's if they like it or not. Stitt and the U of M made the rules. Take what you get and quit bitching . I would rather have Gus focus on the game and his studies. Forget the interviews. The only thing coming out of Gus answering questions - is something bad that could be used as bulletin board material. What revelation is going to come from sloppy Joe the reporter inteviewong a QB who has been instructed to not talk about the game. Self important pompous ass = this journalist.

Umista said:
It is an art. Not one SDSU rabbit will know what our offense will do against them on Saturday.
The Stitt secret is run on first down (up the gut) Run the ball on second down only if we made 5 yards on the first carry. 3rd down is a real mystery as we toss the long bomb to JJJJones. If this gets out we will be screwed and that is why all of the above needs to be kept under wraps. Art in progress, I love art!

You bastard!!! You just gave away everything.

The great Hunter S. Thompson said it best...

“The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.”

This includes the Missoula and SDSU media. They get Stitt's table scraps, and if they don't like it, take to Twitter to complain. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

fencer24 said:
Umista said:
It is an art. Not one SDSU rabbit will know what our offense will do against them on Saturday.
The Stitt secret is run on first down (up the gut) Run the ball on second down only if we made 5 yards on the first carry. 3rd down is a real mystery as we toss the long bomb to JJJJones. If this gets out we will be screwed and that is why all of the above needs to be kept under wraps. Art in progress, I love art!

You bastard!!! You just gave away everything.

Everything went downhill when they started selling alcohol in grocery stores over there.

What is it about MVC teams and playoffs and information? Remember the UNI film exchange incident? These guys just have issues.

Grizbeer said:
What is it about MVC teams and playoffs and information? Remember the UNI film exchange incident? These guys just have issues.
That whole conference and the fans make scat fans seem "classy"

Grizbeer said:
It's my understanding that when questioned players have the following choices to answer every question with:

"I'm all about that action boss"

"I'm just here so I don't get fined"

"Thank You/Thanks for asking"

"I'm thankful" (preferred giving this is Thanksgiving week)

Any deviation from these answers will result in disciplinary action.
I'm certain that this is a reasonable answer as well:

"Yeah"

Just from a journalist's point of view: This guy isn't asking for access to what makes Montana go, or what Stitt does schematically -- not many people want to read about the exact details of each team's game plan because not many fans really understand the details the game. He wants a few minutes to ask some questions to a couple players and coaches so he write a couple stories for the fans that pay attention to South Dakota State; it's not that much to ask and it is a legitimate complaint. We have a have a job to do -- and though many people don't think it's important, many people do.
It is one of the reasons this site and others like it exist; fans -- or really for that matter, anybody really invested or interested in a certain subject -- want information. Montana's sports information should grant him access (which he did get to Stitt; 20 minutes worth during the Big Sky conference call this morning). Never in the history of football has anything a reporter learned through a monitored interview defeated a football team. That comes from what is the learned on the film, and the mentality and preparedness of a team.
But Montana has every write to set up it's media relations, reporters can get information through other avenues. Just saying limiting media availability doesn't benefit it in any quantifiable way.

Perhaps our QBs are nursing one or more injuries and talking to the press might reveal more than we want the opponent to know..? I trust that Stitt knows what's best for his program. I made the mistake of talking to a reporter once and what got printed was an embarrassing distortion of what I said. Never again.

kyle_sample said:
Just from a journalist's point of view: Blah blah blah. .
lighten up Francis, your employer values a cheap reward and National headlines over real stories. The sports section of the Missoulian is the only redeeming factor, try not to ruin that too with your " journalistic integrity". On the bright side my 15 year old thinks your a pretty good writer as the junior writer to AJ. I told her you are just pretty good,period.

kyle_sample said:
Just from a journalist's point of view: This guy isn't asking for access to what makes Montana go, or what Stitt does schematically -- not many people want to read about the exact details of each team's game plan because not many fans really understand the details the game. He wants a few minutes to ask some questions to a couple players and coaches so he write a couple stories for the fans that pay attention to South Dakota State; it's not that much to ask and it is a legitimate complaint. We have a have a job to do -- and though many people don't think it's important, many people do.
It is one of the reasons this site and others like it exist; fans -- or really for that matter, anybody really invested or interested in a certain subject -- want information. Montana's sports information should grant him access (which he did get to Stitt; 20 minutes worth during the Big Sky conference call this morning). Never in the history of football has anything a reporter learned through a monitored interview defeated a football team. That comes from what is the learned on the film, and the mentality and preparedness of a team.
But Montana has every write to set up it's media relations, reporters can get information through other avenues. Just saying limiting media availability doesn't benefit it in any quantifiable way.

Good explanation. The same posters talking about how great this is will inevitably bitch about it when some team does it to us down the road.

Good grief, Jud Heathcote used to give me an hour or more every Monday morning and any other time I wanted. He'd answer every question. I don' think it affected his "record" much by giving anybody any advantages. He'd let me listen in to the huddles, and team practices were completely open. I could go down and sit right behind him and he'd banter with me during practices about this and that. He had only one request he ever made: "please don't report that the Coach swears."

grzz said:
kyle_sample said:

Good explanation. The same posters talking about how great this is will inevitably bitch about it when some team does it to us down the road.
in the olde days sports writers wrote the quotes, really didn't need the coach or player to say it. Maybe ESPN ruined it for journalist or America, but I miss the days when sports writers were drunk by 10 am and always made heros for us. Stupid Bernstein and Woodward. Where is a Royko when we need one?

kyle_sample said:

Freudian slip?

UMGriz75 said:
Good grief, Jud Heathcote used to give me an hour or more every Monday morning and any other time I wanted. He'd answer every question. I don' think it affected his "record" much by giving anybody any advantages. He'd let me listen in to the huddles, and team practices were completely open. He had only one request he ever made: "please don't report that the Coach swears."
Remember when Jud's kid threw himself on the carpet crying " are you kidding Dad, we are going to the Big Sky?". Love the way Jud is such a giant fan of Montana/Missoula/Big Sky now, right?

Grizbeer said:
kyle_sample said:
lighten up Francis, your employer values a cheap reward and National headlines over real stories. The sports section of the Missoulian is the only redeeming factor, try not to ruin that too with your " journalistic integrity". On the bright side my 15 year old thinks your a pretty good writer as the junior writer to AJ. I told her you are just pretty good,period.

1. My employer can't report real stories because we don't have the resources to do so. You can't adequately cover an area this large and complex with just 9.5 reporters. On that I won't go any further.
2. Tell your 15 year old I said thanks. And I think I should say thanks to you, but I can't tell if you're actually giving me a compliment

AZGrizFan said:
kyle_sample said:

Freudian slip?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :? I was distracted by Steph Curry

kyle_sample said:
Grizbeer said:
kyle_sample said:

1. My employer can't report real stories because we don't have the resources to do so. You can't adequately cover an area this large and complex with just 9.5 reporters. On that I won't go any further.
2. Tell your 15 year old I said thanks. And I think I should say thanks to you, but I can't tell if you're actually giving me a compliment
I think it was a compliment. I mean, look AJ is awesome, then Ryan Divish is terrific. Tyson Alger is really good. Andy Bixler is going to be a great one. But you are right in there. I mean you try hard and have great hair.

Grizzlies1982 said:
I'd rather have our staff & players spending time on game preparation than providing quotes for news stories.

Yea, but that is just me and if the truth be known, I "Never reported the game".

Well, newsflash for you, those "media" guys pay for most of your fun! Might not want to forget that as you ask for bigger and better toys to play with!

Back