• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SDSU Media's thoughts on the Montana / Stitt media policies

Edit: all bullshit aside I want to say this: I enjoyed an era when the TNT had hands down the best sports writers in the business and the Times and PI couldn't write an article (or cast a vote) to save their ass, but the current crop of young sports writers for the Missoulian are probably the best collection I have read. Too bad the paper can't capitialize on it. Enjoy these kids while we have them, UM has put out some unbelievably good sports writers this decade.

I'd be more sympathetic if it weren't for the the "big time program" comment. But I guess I'd act like a pouty douche too if I made $34,000 a year

Grizbeer said:
in the olde days sports writers wrote the quotes, really didn't need the coach or player to say it. Maybe ESPN ruined it for journalist or America, but I miss the days when sports writers were drunk by 10 am and always made heros for us. Stupid Bernstein and Woodward. Where is a Royko when we need one?
In Missoula, it was Ray Rocene. In Seattle, it was Royal Brougham. They even named a street after him, he was "that" influential and beloved. He was a tyrant in the newsroom however. Kind of short, he had a long temper.

Ray Rocene knew everything there was about sports. His legitimate heir at the Missoulian was Jeff Herman and "descendants." Kyle is one of those. I learned under Bruce Sayler.

I seem to recall that Mike Royko had started out as a sports reporter. Never missed his column until the day he died.

Grizbeer said:
Edit: all bullshit aside I want to say this: I enjoyed an era when the TNT had hands down the best sports writers in the business and the Times and PI couldn't write an article (or cast a vote) to save their ass, but the current crop of young sports writers for the Missoulian are probably the best collection I have read. Too bad the paper can't capitialize on it. Enjoy these kids while we have them, UM has put out some unbelievably good sports writers this decade.

Agreed.

neither Craig Stolze nor John Egan would have bitched like this -- they're in the SoDak sports Hall of Fame. they'd just go get the story for the Argus.

btw, I miss Fritz Neighbor, John Blanchette, and little Jeffey Herman, the sports editor who was the first Missoulian writer I know of who got the word "shit" in print.

UMGriz75 said:
Grizbeer said:
in the olde days sports writers wrote the quotes, really didn't need the coach or player to say it. Maybe ESPN ruined it for journalist or America, but I miss the days when sports writers were drunk by 10 am and always made heros for us. Stupid Bernstein and Woodward. Where is a Royko when we need one?
In Missoula, it was Ray Rocene. In Seattle, it was Royal Brougham. They even named a street after him, he was "that" influential and beloved. He was a tyrant in the newsroom however. Kind of short, he had a long temper.

Ray Rocene knew everything there was about sports. His legitimate heir at the Missoulian was Jeff Herman and "descendants." Kyle is one of those. I learned under Bruce Sayler.

I seem to recall that Mike Royko had started out as a sports reporter. Never missed his column until the day he died.
Great names. Also Harry Misseldine with the Spokesman. For my money, Missoulian kids, more Harry, less blanchette

Grizbeer said:
Great names. Also Harry Misseldine with the Spokesman. For my money, Missoulian kids, more Harry, less blanchette
I was trying to remember his name, could not come up with it. I thought John Blanchette did a good job; His dad, Bud, bigwig at Western Broadcasting in Dale Moore's time.

I love that when threatened, constituencies gather to circle the wagons. Low and behold, up pops the heads of the media fanboi's trying to represent their cause as being pure as the driven snow. Stitt was hired to do a job and it appears by golly that he is going to do it his way. Carry on. I know it is getting ever tougher to sell ink by the pound.

Hold it girls. I happen to like Sample and his work.
So with that I will weigh in and say I don't know squat about writing, reporting and other related stuff.
75 mentioned Ray T Rocene and he even wrote about me as a youngster. I thought that was cool when my dad pointed it out to me as a proud Papa. In any event I must agree with Kyle. Rest of U carry on with your important tasks.

Back