• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Smoking Ribs

ilovethecats

hey all. I know there is a huge thread dedicated to smoking, grilling, cooking etc. as it is maybe my favorite thread of all time on here! but i'm lazy and recall there were some brilliant guys over here when it came to the grill/smoker.

I smoked the hell out of stuff last fall and for the most part loved everything. but i'm specifically wondering about ribs this time. I thought there were some killer rubs and sprays discussed last year that i'd love some input on. more importantly i'm curious about your most successful cooking time and temps. everything online is the 2-2-1 method or even 3-2-1 method. do you guys encourage that? I think I've used the foil in the past and for some reason thought I didn't care for it.

time wise, I never saw anything saying to smoke ribs longer than 5-6 hours. is there a method any of you have used where I can smoke them longer, perhaps at a lower temp?! ideally I was hoping to throw them on early morning before a round of golf and let them go until about 5 or 6 in the evening. but obviously I don't want a dried out mess either!

any hints or experiences you can share would be much appreciated! :thumb:

Ribs will only absorb so much smoke. The theory behind 3-2-1 is absorb smoke for 3 hours, essentially steam cook the ribs in foil for 2 hours to reduce cooking time while keeping keep the ribs moist, followed by 1 hour out of foil to firm up the ribs and develop some carmelization or bark so you're not eating steamed ribs. If you are above using the Texas Crutch then you best be prepared to spend the better part of your day tending the firebox and mopping/spritzing your ribs to keep them from drying out.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61856

(1) Adjust the recipes/cooking technique to match your individual palate.
(2a) I like to brine the ribs the night prior
(2b) I prefer dry rub added before and after
(3) I prefer low and slow over apple wood or cherry wood
(4) I wrap them in foil approx. half way through.
(5) I prefer Sauce on the side

While we are on this, I have been looking at pellet fed grills. Obviously Traeger has a good name, but I have been reading about Louisiana Grills, and a couple of others. Any thoughts on this? And I know the Green Egg is really good. I am looking for input on the pellet fed grills for lazier people...

Fast Eddie, Yoder, MAK and Rectec are the Cadillac brands. Traeger, Green Mountain, Louisiana, Cabellas and Camp Chef are your mass produced lines for the common folk. Check out the pelletheads.com forum if you haven't already.

grizfnz said:
Ribs will only absorb so much smoke. The theory behind 3-2-1 is absorb smoke for 3 hours, essentially steam cook the ribs in foil for 2 hours to reduce cooking time while keeping keep the ribs moist, followed by 1 hour out of foil to firm up the ribs and develop some carmelization or bark so you're not eating steamed ribs. If you are above using the Texas Crutch then you best be prepared to spend the better part of your day tending the firebox and mopping/spritzing your ribs to keep them from drying out.
Can you get away with a water bath and no crutch?

PhxGriz said:
grizfnz said:
Can you get away with a water bath and no crutch?
A water bath will provide moisture through steam but it also prevents carmelization of the meat. It's the same reason propane smokers can't achieve the same quality of bark as a stick burner or charcoal smoker.

I use baby back ribs. I coat the ribs with worchestershire sauce, then rub with course ground black pepper. I buy that McCormick spice in a black pouch, Tennessee rub or Memphis BBQ or Texas Mesquite. Shake it evenly on the ribs. Slice an onion thin and spread over ribs. Then double wrap in tin foil and let sit out at room temp for 8-10 hours or so. Put on grill on low heat for about 1 hour. Unwrap tin foil and put in smoker with mesquite wood for 45mins to 1 hour. Put back on grill without tinfoil and let the ribs evenly crust. Easy to do and ribs are always tender and juicy.

Proud Griz Man said:
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61856

(1) Adjust the recipes/cooking technique to match your individual palate.
(2a) I like to brine the ribs the night prior
(2b) I prefer dry rub added before and after
(3) I prefer low and slow over apple wood or cherry wood
(4) I wrap them in foil approx. half way through.
(5) I prefer Sauce on the side

thanks for digging that up. i read through the entire thread again. :eek:

brings more questions...
for the brine the night before hammer suggested dr. pepper which i love. is this ONLY dr pepper or is there something else in the mix?

what are some standard rub recipes if I want to stay away from the store-bought?

last time i used a spray that consisted of apple cider vinegar, a little apple juice, and dr. pepper. i actually liked it. any suggestions on what to improve on this?

finally, like the rub, i'm trying to stay away from store bought sauce. any must try recipes you can send my way without killing me later?

trying to put something pretty awesome together for sunday dinner. :thumb:

My BBQ sauce
ketchup
liquid smoke (Concentrated) (add to taste)
Garlic powder (Fresh garlic roasted works great)
Onion powder
Ground onion
Brown sugar to taste
1/2 as much coke as ketchup
thicken with corn starch if desired
If too smoky add vinegar

My basic rub
Chili powder
Granulated garlic
Onion powder
Black pepper
Kosher salt
Paprika
Turbinado sugar or brown sugar

For spritzing I either use apple cider or peach nectar.

I like to brine pork, chickens, turkeys, etc. in a mixture of salt water, brown sugar dissolved in water, and ale. Sometimes I add additional citric acid via juice from a couple lemons or limes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17945/basic-brine-for-smoking-meat/

In Hammer's recipe, the Dr. Pepper adds the "sugar" which is a tenderizer.

ilovethecats said:
brings more questions...
for the brine the night before hammer suggested dr. pepper which i love. is this ONLY dr pepper or is there something else in the mix?
:

grizfnz said:
Fast Eddie, Yoder, MAK and Rectec are the Cadillac brands. Traeger, Green Mountain, Louisiana, Cabellas and Camp Chef are your mass produced lines for the common folk. Check out the pelletheads.com forum if you haven't already.

So are you Cadillac or common folk??? :)

grizpack said:
grizfnz said:

Our oldest will be heading to college next year with dreams of becoming a pediatric cardiologists so if and when I'm able to purchase, it will be from the common folk list. Most likely a Green Mountain model with WiFi feature to allow me to control temps via phone app. GM also allow you to adjust Temps in 5 deg. increments.

BTW, Polsongriz recently purchased a MAK and loves it.

I found a Traeger and a Louisiana Grill that I like. Louisiana Grill seems to be a little heavier metal. Just not sure......

grizfnz said:
grizpack said:
grizfnz said:

Our oldest will be heading to college next year with dreams of becoming a pediatric cardiologists so if and when I'm able to purchase, it will be from the common folk list. Most likely a Green Mountain model with WiFi feature to allow me to control temps via phone app. GM also allow you to adjust Temps in 5 deg. increments.

BTW, Polsongriz recently purchased a MAK and loves it.

Not inexpensive, but great smoking machines. I love my Cookshack. Steel, and made in America.

http://www.cookshack.com/

One of the better rubs out there...
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Obviously one can add or take away from this rub. About the only thing I add is chiles and ground mustard.

I stopped using salt in my rubs years ago. I liberally salt both sides the night before and let it sit all night in the fridge.
I do throw a thin layer of regular mustard over all beef and pork I smoke before dusting with rub.

grizpack said:
I found a Traeger and a Louisiana Grill that I like. Louisiana Grill seems to be a little heavier metal. Just not sure......
On the BBQ forums mentioned pretty much the thought is that Rec Tec will put Traegar out of business. The body is made in China but all of the electronics are made in the states.

I was actually just about to buy the Rec Tec but I then found a MAK for $500 off and couldn't pass it up.
BTW, Traegars are now completely made in China. I constantly see them on Craigslist and other sites for sale.

Back