• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed/Murray.

JDoub said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
Yes, I listen to what the coaches say. Choate isn't a sugarcoater. He tells it like it is and in the past he has called out Chris and flat out said we need to improve at the QB position and be more consistent. When he says Chris has improved, is putting the ball where it needs to be, and is getting more velocity on the ball and better at pushing it down the field, I believe him. Once again though, you guys can feel free to sit back and assume he isn't improving at all for some strange reason. I know it's a hard concept for you to grasp, but typically players that put in the effort and have good coaches, actually do improve their game year to year.

He's what? 19, 20? Great athlete. I have to think he would improve with tons of reps, but game situations can be different.

I do find it interesting, if not significant to this discussion, to consider the fact that when Dalton Sneed was Chris Murray's age, he hadn't yet played in a college football game. Murry started 16 college games as a 17 and 18 year old kid. Sneed's first game he started at UNLV he was 19.
I find it interesting that he still can't throw a football. :roll:

Neither one of these guys is a good passer. Both have started about 15 college games and they’ve each had only 2-3 good games. They’re both in the low 50s in complete pct. sneed has thrown more interceptions than tds. They both have looked good in scrimmages, but then so did that guy bruggman. Until someone shows they can string 2-3 good games together in a row, they’re both bad passers. Good runners though!

getgrizzy said:
Neither one of these guys is a good passer. Both have started about 15 college games and they’ve each had only 2-3 good games. They’re both in the low 50s in complete pct. sneed has thrown more interceptions than tds. They both have looked good in scrimmages, but then so did that guy bruggman. Until someone shows they can string 2-3 good games together in a row, they’re both bad passers. Good runners though!
Neither has yet been blessed to have a top notch receiving corp to throw to. That changes this year for Sneed.

getgrizzy said:

From what I saw in the spring scrimmage and a few practices, and heard from others, Sneed is a pretty good passer. His passes looked great in the spring scrimmage. Crisp, fast, on target, easy to handle. His passing is 2 or 3 times better than from what I saw of Murray through last season.

Sneed has had more than 2-3 good games.

In the spring game, "Murray finished the day 9-of-20 for 87 yards." Some media and people described him as the biggest bright spot in the scrimmage

In the Cat spring game, "Murray finished the day 9-of-20 for 87 yards." PG, that's your idea of looking good in scrimmages?

I know some Cat fans desperately want Murray to be a good passer and Sneed to be a bad passer, but why don't you just trying sticking a bit closer to the facts?

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:

From what I saw in the spring scrimmage and a few practices, and heard from others, Sneed is a pretty good passer. His passes looked great in the spring scrimmage. Crisp, fast, on target, easy to handle. His passing is 2 or 3 times better than from what I saw of Murray through last season.

Sneed has had more than 2-3 good games.

In the spring game, "Murray finished the day 9-of-20 for 87 yards." Some media and people described him as the biggest bright spot in the scrimmage

In the Cat spring game, "Murray finished the day 9-of-20 for 87 yards." PG, that's your idea of looking good in scrimmages?

I know some Cat fans desperately want Murray to be a good passer and Sneed to be a bad passer, but why don't you just trying sticking a bit closer to the facts?
Here are some facts (other than they both are below average passers):
In his college career sneed has had good passing games vs Hutchison CC, Coffeyville CC and Hawaii. I consider it a good passing game if you complete more than half your passes and have more tds than ints. Those are the only three where he accomplished that.

Murray has had at least one good scrimmage. Almost every college QB has had at least one, including murray and sneed. I haven’t looked at them all, but he was 10-13 for 192 yards and two tds with no ints last fall.

Those are pretty big facts. I hope you can fit them into your gaping agenda.

Sneed unlv starts:
Fresno 8-16-0 129 1td
San Diego St 2-12-1 9 0td (I don’t think even Murray has had a game this bad)
Hawaii 19-27-0 279 2td* good game
Colorado St 7-23-1 185 2td
San Jose 2-9-0 24 0

Sneed ft. scott:
20-38-3 208 1td
11-24-3 105 1td
10-19-1 53 0td
23-37-0 230 0td*good game
21-41-2 192 2td
11-18-2 166 0td
23-43-0 276 3td*good game
4-6-0 27 0td

getgrizzy said:
Sneed unlv starts:
Fresno 8-16-0 129 1td
San Jose 2-9-0 24 0

Sneed ft. scott:
20-38-3 208 1td
11-24-3 105 1td
10-19-1 53 0td
21-41-2 192 2td
11-18-2 166 0td
4-6-0 27 0td

I don't agree with your methodology. Regarding passing, passing percentages and yards are more important than the TD/Pick ratio, unless the number of picks is too large. Many teams will run for TD's after long passing plays or good passing series that get close to the goal line.

At UNLV, I found article saying that Sneed had good games in various games. That included Fresno. He was 8-16 for 129 with 1 passing TD and no interceptions, in a 48-20 win. Hawaii was obviously a good game. 20-38 is a good game, subject to the picks. 21-41 with 2 TD's and a win is a good game. 10-19 may have been a good game. 20-37 was obviously a good game. 11-18 for 166 and a win is a pretty good game. 20-43 on 3 TD's is obviously a good game.

Sneed also set AZ high school passing records. "Arizona high school records, including career touchdown passes (87) and career passing yards (8,377)"

GG, you are too biased and football challenged to even provide good stats. 2/3 good games in college. Get out of here with that BS.

Using Sneed’s stats behind that horrendous UNLV O-Line and with his sub standard receivers is meaningless anyway. I think he has the potential to perform much better here with what he has around him and his tools to throw to.

Colter said the cats’ “QB” was angry when a late pick he threw sealed a loss last season. It was an ugly throw. The “QB” was so mad he tried throwing himself on the ground in a fit of rage but he missed again

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
Sneed unlv starts:
Fresno 8-16-0 129 1td
San Jose 2-9-0 24 0

Sneed ft. scott:
20-38-3 208 1td
11-24-3 105 1td
10-19-1 53 0td
21-41-2 192 2td
11-18-2 166 0td
4-6-0 27 0td

I don't agree with your methodology. Regarding passing, passing percentages and yards are more important than the TD/Pick ratio, unless the number of picks is too large. Many teams will run for TD's after long passing plays or good passing series that get close to the goal line.

At UNLV, I found article saying that Sneed had good games in various games. That included Fresno. He was 8-16 for 129 with 1 passing TD and no interceptions, in a 48-20 win. Hawaii was obviously a good game. 20-38 is a good game, subject to the picks. 21-41 with 2 TD's and a win is a good game. 10-19 may have been a good game. 20-37 was obviously a good game. 11-18 for 166 and a win is a pretty good game. 20-43 on 3 TD's is obviously a good game.

Sneed also set AZ high school passing records. "Arizona high school records, including career touchdown passes (87) and career passing yards (8,377)"

GG, you are too biased and football challenged to even provide good stats. 2/3 good games in college. Get out of here with that BS.

Neither one has a good career passing percentage (sneed 52% career; murray 49%). In football anything below 55% is not considered good, but that doesn’t mean the stats overall aren’t good as one could pass for a large number of yards per attempt or throw for a large TD to Int ratio, etc.; neither one gets good yardage (sneed 5.6 per attempt; murray 7.0). There’s a lot of argument about what the cutoff is for YPA, but most I’ve seen say an average of 7.5 per attempt. Neither one has a good career TD-Int ratio. In any comparison the standard (in this case of ‘good’) of measurement is irrelevant, since all parties are held to the same standards. By being liberal with your definition you’ll merely allow all QBs to have a larger number of good games, which will still show both murray and sneed to have fewer good games in comparison to the entire population of QBs. Neither one of them, when compared to stats of all other starting college QBs, would have numbers that would be comparably considered good.

No bias here. No reason to be biased. Nothing to be biased about. The statistics for both QBs are sub-par. Sneed did have a good spring game, so that’s a start. He probably needed a confidence booster, so that might spark him. He also has good coaches around him that can I.D. his weaknesses.

AZGriz: sneed’s season stats at Ft. Collins are worse than at UNLV. Maybe FC had a bad OL and WRs too?

All passing stats are subject to the players surrounding the QB. Over time and as the competition increases, however, they become more concrete. Both sneed and murray have about 15 starts and have also gotten reps off the bench, so while they still have time to develop, they’ve also had ample time to exhibit what their abilities are and neither one has stood out. At this point average would be a good description of sneed and murray and they still need to prove themselves if they’re ever going to be considered good.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
Sneed unlv starts:
Fresno 8-16-0 129 1td
San Jose 2-9-0 24 0

Sneed ft. scott:
20-38-3 208 1td
11-24-3 105 1td
10-19-1 53 0td
21-41-2 192 2td
11-18-2 166 0td
4-6-0 27 0td

Neither one has a good career passing percentage (sneed 52% career; murray 49%). In football anything below 55% is not considered good, but that doesn’t mean the stats overall aren’t good as one could pass for a large number of yards per attempt or throw for a large TD to Int ratio, etc.; neither one gets good yardage (sneed 5.6 per attempt; murray 7.0). There’s a lot of argument about what the cutoff is for YPA, but most I’ve seen say an average of 7.5 per attempt. Neither one has a good career TD-Int ratio. In any comparison the standard (in this case of ‘good’) of measurement is irrelevant, since all parties are held to the same standards. By being liberal with your definition you’ll merely allow all QBs to have a larger number of good games, which will still show both murray and sneed to have fewer good games in comparison to the entire population of QBs. Neither one of them, when compared to stats of all other starting college QBs, would have numbers that would be comparably considered good.

No bias here. No reason to be biased. Nothing to be biased about. The statistics for both QBs are sub-par. Sneed did have a good spring game, so that’s a start. He probably needed a confidence booster, so that might spark him. He also has good coaches around him that can I.D. his weaknesses.

AZGriz: sneed’s season stats at Ft. Collins are worse than at UNLV. Maybe FC had a bad OL and WRs too?

All passing stats are subject to the players surrounding the QB. Over time and as the competition increases, however, they become more concrete. Both sneed and murray have about 15 starts and have also gotten reps off the bench, so while they still have time to develop, they’ve also had ample time to exhibit what their abilities are and neither one has stood out. At this point average would be a good description of sneed and murray and they still need to prove themselves if they’re ever going to be considered good.

Sneed has been a much better passer than Murray since high school. Sneed set Arizona passing records. Murray didn't set any high school passing records. Sneed has played against FBS competition his first year. Feel free to show us the best passing games of Murray. They don't compare to Sneeds.

I have talked to players and coaches, including receivers, and they like Sneed. I have seen Sneed in practice and scrimmages. Assume you haven't. He looks very good, and has a nice quick release with good accuracy. No one who saw the spring scrimmage and knows football could possibly say that Sneed isn't a good passer. A bad passer couldn't have thrown that many good and accurate balls.

Murray has had some good passing games, based on the stats, but, last year, he also threw for percentages of 42, 36, 22, 45 and 28. Had an efficiency rating of 8.4% against PSU. 44.8% in 2016. More picks than TD's.

In terms of passing, the ab's are in different worlds. I'm enjoying seeing some posters show their utter lack of football knowledge.

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
Sneed unlv starts:
Fresno 8-16-0 129 1td
San Jose 2-9-0 24 0

Sneed ft. scott:
20-38-3 208 1td
11-24-3 105 1td
10-19-1 53 0td
21-41-2 192 2td
11-18-2 166 0td
4-6-0 27 0td

Sneed has been a much better passer than Murray since high school. Sneed set Arizona passing records. Murray didn't set any high school passing records. Sneed has played against FBS competition his first year. Feel free to show us the best passing games of Murray. They don't compare to Sneeds.

I have talked to players and coaches, including receivers, and they like Sneed. I have seen Sneed in practice and scrimmages. Assume you haven't. He looks very good, and has a nice quick release with good accuracy. No one who saw the spring scrimmage and knows football could possibly say that Sneed isn't a good passer. A bad passer couldn't have thrown that many good and accurate balls.

Murray has had some good passing games, based on the stats, but, last year, he also threw for percentages of 42, 36, 22, 45 and 28. Had an efficiency rating of 8.4% against PSU. 44.8% in 2016. More picks than TD's.

In terms of passing, the ab's are in different worlds. I'm enjoying seeing some posters show their utter lack of football knowledge.

I’m not saying Murray is better than Sneed. I’m saying that neither has played good over the course of their college careers and each has had only a few good games in college.

I never said the coaches and players don’t like sneed. Naturally they like him. I don’t need to talk to them to reasonably know that. Sneed does look good in practice and scrimmage and high school and yes I have seen him practice and scrimmage. Unlike you I like my college football heroes to look good in college football games.

Sneed had a game with a 6.3 qb rating, which is worse than Murray vs PSU. Just admit it, they’ve both absolutely have sucked as often as they’ve looked great.

You’re showing an utter lack of reading and statistics comprehension. That combination makes it difficult for anyone to have a strong knowledge of anything.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

I’m not saying Murray is better than Sneed. I’m saying that neither has played good over the course of their college careers and each has had only a few good games in college.

I never said the coaches and players don’t like sneed. Naturally they like him. I don’t need to talk to them to reasonably know that. Sneed does look good in practice and scrimmage and high school and yes I have seen him practice and scrimmage. Unlike you I like my college football heroes to look good in college football games.

Sneed had a game with a 6.3 qb rating, which is worse than Murray vs PSU. Just admit it, they’ve both absolutely have sucked as often as they’ve looked great.

You’re showing an utter lack of reading and statistics comprehension. That combination makes it difficult for anyone to have a strong knowledge of anything.

You show such an utter lack of understanding of football. You focus on some of the silliest things.

Let's see the full stats for 6.3 qb rating, to show everyone how irrelevant they are.

I don't believe you saw Sneed in practice, by the way. QB Club and insiders only. I don't believe you attended the spring scrimmage either. No one, and I mean no one, who saw that scrimmage and understands football could not have been impressed with Sneed and how he threw the ball.

Ya, I agree that Murray has had some terrible passing games but he's also had some damn good passing games, against good defenses. SDSU comes to mind. 23\42, 4 passing TDs. UND, 15\20 3 passing TDs. Also had other good games, 20\37, 12\19, and against the griz he went 10 for 15. I know he's improving his passing game, making better decisions, and improving his overall game management whether you guys want to believe it or not. Lastly, I wouldn't put too much stock in stats from one Spring scrimmage. You'll probably see a lot of teams end up with poor offensive stats when facing our defense. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:

You show such an utter lack of understanding of football. You focus on some of the silliest things.

Let's see the full stats for 6.3 qb rating, to show everyone how irrelevant they are.

I don't believe you saw Sneed in practice, by the way. QB Club and insiders only. I don't believe you attended the spring scrimmage either. No one, and I mean no one, who saw that scrimmage and understands football could not have been impressed with Sneed and how he threw the ball.
To get his 6.3 passing rating sneed went 2-12 with 1 interception 9 yards and no Tds. They lost 26-7. Fairly relevant.
Yes sneed has looked good in practice and scrimmage.

We need a nickname for Murray. I loved the Irish lad and “black Jesus” moniker for the prior dude, but I don’t think we can do a “second coming” of that.
What do you guys think about:
“Mr. Missed Again.” Or even MMA
You know, like that Phil Collins song.
I also like Brown Thunder

garizzalies said:
We need a nickname for Murray. I loved the Irish lad and “black Jesus” moniker for the prior dude, but I don’t think we can do a “second coming” of that.
What do you guys think about:
“Mr. Missed Again.” Or even MMA
You know, like that Phil Collins song.
I also like Brown Thunder

Or you could go with simple and accurate like griz Killer?

Back