• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring camp players with rising stock

RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Lakes HS head football coach, Dave Miller, :lol: , just kidding. :thumb:

Why would anyone believe that Lyons, while still in his 1st year as a preferred-walkon mind you, has "earned a full ride?

I certainly don't believe that 5 yards a catch, and 4 yards a catch averages for his two spring scrimmages repsectively dictate anything close to "earning a full ride".
Although he did have 7 catches (leading the team) the first scrimmage and 7 4 yard catches on 7 3rd and 3's is 7 first downs. Which, in my book, beats 1 catch for 60 yards.
Not saying he deserves a scholly mind you, just putting a little context on it.

I call BS to the 7 4-yard catches on 3d and 3's.
You called BS on a hypothetical? Uh, ok...?

What hypothetical? Let me guess, you learned this taking a ball ball to the scrimmages.

PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
Although he did have 7 catches (leading the team) the first scrimmage and 7 4 yard catches on 7 3rd and 3's is 7 first downs. Which, in my book, beats 1 catch for 60 yards.
Not saying he deserves a scholly mind you, just putting a little context on it.

What hypothetical? Let me guess, you learned this taking a ball ball to the scrimmages.
"Ball ball"? Since you lack any imagination or the ability to come up with anything new or original, I'm guessing you meant ball boy genius? For what it's worth you'd have to get on a chair to look that ball boy in the eye, shorty.

A lot of Calebs receptions were behind the line of scrimmage, lateral, wide reciever screen passes. That 7 doesn't look so impressive...

Credit though to coach Stitt, who did not ask Caleb to join the team (Delaney did) as a non-scholarship squad player, for throwing him some gimmes to see what he could do, before the coach decides to go after another transfer or focus on the true freshman coming in.

HookedonGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Watching Caleb Lyons mature at Lakes High School in Lakewood, Washington was an experience. As I noted in 2014, the Griz got a steal. I've watch this young man for half a decade raise the bar and push through athletic injuries to enhance his athletic abilities.

I think he has earned a full ride. Don't you?

Ken Jones you're pushing this pretty hard in a couple threads. Related to Caleb? Friend? It sounds like he is doing well and proving himself on the field. I am VERY confident the coaches and staff know who deserves a scholly and who does not. I am sure if his play warrants a scholarship he will earn one....if not, he won't. Asking for egriz thoughts and opinions on it is interesting to me.

:idea: Kenny runs Calebs HS footall page: https://www.facebook.com/LakesLancersFootball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He posted -- (Oct)

There I go again ... pissin' off several Lakes' alumni, a few Lancer supporters and some current Lancers.
Sometimes, I feel that I should just shut down the Lakes Lancers social community and focus on just me ... Kenny.
Nah.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate

IntuitiveGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Watching Caleb Lyons mature at Lakes High School in Lakewood, Washington was an experience. As I noted in 2014, the Griz got a steal. I've watch this young man for half a decade raise the bar and push through athletic injuries to enhance his athletic abilities.

Ken Jones you're pushing this pretty hard in a couple threads. Related to Caleb? Friend? It sounds like he is doing well and proving himself on the field. I am VERY confident the coaches and staff know who deserves a scholly and who does not. I am sure if his play warrants a scholarship he will earn one....if not, he won't. Asking for egriz thoughts and opinions on it is interesting to me.

:idea: Kenny runs Calebs HS footall page: https://www.facebook.com/LakesLancersFootball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He posted -- (Oct)

There I go again ... pissin' off several Lakes' alumni, a few Lancer supporters and some current Lancers.
Sometimes, I feel that I should just shut down the Lakes Lancers social community and focus on just me ... Kenny.
Nah.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate

He wrote to the players parents:

Parents,

you gotta get on it ... promote your kid from his freshmen year forward, ride 'em 'bout GPAs, ask the coaches for suggestions. If your LL doesn't have the physicality and GPA by their senior year to earn an athletic scholarship, then their GPA will earn them an academic scholarship and a possible preferred walk-on opportunity.

My 4 suggestions for your budding LL to focus: Weightroom, Technique, GPA and Leadership.

Coach Miller can't promote all the players, manage the team and keep his day job ... lol.
January 15 at 11:04pm · Edited

Best of luck to Caleb, he looks like a gamer (tough kid).

He reminds me of another Griz walk-on from Washington, from Bellevue... Cam Warren. In fact Lyons is even wearing his #23. Their games are similar. Delaney loved Warren, said he would go to battle any day with him.

Preferred Walk-on career of Cam Warren:

2009: He was a redshirt at Montana.
2010: He was a squad member at UM. He did not have a reception.
2011: 4 receptions.
2012: 15 receptions, 2 TD. Big Sky's all-academic squad.
2013: Starter Slot" receiver. 38 receptions, 3 TD. Big Sky's all-academic squad.

IntuitiveGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

He posted -- (Oct)

Nah.
― John Lydgate

He wrote to the players parents:

Parents,

you gotta get on it ... promote your kid from his freshmen year forward, ride 'em 'bout GPAs, ask the coaches for suggestions. If your LL doesn't have the physicality and GPA by their senior year to earn an athletic scholarship, then their GPA will earn them an academic scholarship and a possible preferred walk-on opportunity.

My 4 suggestions for your budding LL to focus: Weightroom, Technique, GPA and Leadership.

Coach Miller can't promote all the players, manage the team and keep his day job ... lol.
January 15 at 11:04pm · Edited

I really have no problem with Ken promoting the players from Lakes HS. I said that doing it on egriz wasn't going to help Caleb's cause but that was kinda "tongue in cheek". We're all just
wannabes on this board not true talent evaluators...... Everyone now knows Ken's angle. It's all good. He has a job to do.

RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

"Ball ball"? Since you lack any imagination or the ability to come up with anything new or original, I'm guessing you meant ball boy genius? For what it's worth you'd have to get on a chair to look that ball boy in the eye, shorty.

Yes, a typo. Ball boy. I used to love how you claimed to be an expert on Bellevue high football because you used to take your ball boy to games.

PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:

Yes, a typo. Ball boy. I used to love how you claimed to be an expert on Bellevue high football because you used to take your ball boy to games.
You are such an assclown.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

You are such an assclown.
Awe, don't pick on him AG1. Hims widdle.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Hes right...........I cant sing

Look, unlike Sir Goodman, 99.9% of Griz fans are not stat wonks and can't remember if JN put the ball on the ground 3 or 7 times last year. But 99.9 % of Griz fans hold their breath every time he's under a punt or kickoff. What Rosanne obviously knows and understands is that any coach worth his salt will not put a guy who muffs, fluffs, dribbles, juggles, or fumbles kicks, in any combination thereof, into the game to handle kicks and it won't matter squat whether those botches were recovered by the Griz or their opponent. The dude is a liability in that aspect of the game, and good coaches don't rely on good bounces from balls on the ground to win games.

I'm still waiting for the NCAA to post stats on recovering one's own fumbles as a positive stat. :roll:

horribilisfan8184 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Look, unlike Sir Goodman, 99.9% of Griz fans are not stat wonks and can't remember if JN put the ball on the ground 3 or 7 times last year. But 99.9 % of Griz fans hold their breath every time he's under a punt or kickoff. What Rosanne obviously knows and understands is that any coach worth his salt will not put a guy who muffs, fluffs, dribbles, juggles, or fumbles kicks, in any combination thereof, into the game to handle kicks and it won't matter squat whether those botches were recovered by the Griz or their opponent. The dude is a liability in that aspect of the game, and good coaches don't rely on good bounces from balls on the ground to win games.

I'm still waiting for the NCAA to post stats on recovering one's own fumbles as a positive stat. :roll:

Agreed 100%. Not to mention his lack of success leads him to let a TON of punts bounce (and usually at the worst possible time), costing the team valuable yards at key moments of games because (one can only assume) he's either badly positioned or doesn't trust his own abilities to catch a ball in traffic.

AZGrizFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Agreed 100%. Not to mention his lack of success leads him to let a TON of punts bounce (and usually at the worst possible time), costing the team valuable yards at key moments of games because (one can only assume) he's either badly positioned or doesn't trust his own abilities to catch a ball in traffic.

Yes, Nguyen should have fielded a few more punts, but almost every college punter lets some drop and can't them. Nguyen returned more punts than any other returner in the conference and had the 2d highest return average. He had more than twice the number of returns as all but 1 of the other top returners. And, as the stats showed, he didn't lose a fumble/muff all season. Most of you exaggerate his problems and mistakes. He wouldn't have been the punt returner in all 14 games if the coaches didn't think he was the best to return punts for the team.

1. Alex Tillman-UND SR 12 14 237 1 95 16.9
2. John Nguyen-UM SO 14 32 303 1 60 9.5
3. Shaydon Kehano-WSU SR 12 26 243 0 29 9.3
4. Alex Holmes-NAU JR 12 13 95 0 34 7.3
5. Ellis Onic-NC FR 11 11 66 0 24 6.0
6. Kasey Closs-PSU SR 10 11 59 0 27 5.4
7. Brady Measom-SUU SO 11 13 64 0 21 4.9

So horriblis, since Nyguen is still returning punts right now, I guess, by your rationale, Haslam should just fire Stitt before he even gets to August??? Cause what you're saying is, Stitt isn't worth his salt.

I hope EH can return to full strength to handle playing WR in this offense and return punts, because he was electric at it. But right now, Nyugen is the No. 1 punt returner on the Griz' football team. THE END

havgrizfan said:
So horriblis, since Nyguen is still returning punts right now, I guess, by your rationale, Haslam should just fire Stitt before he even gets to August??? Cause what you're saying is, Stitt isn't worth his salt.

I hope EH can return to full strength to handle playing WR in this offense and return punts, because he was electric at it. But right now, Nyugen is the No. 1 punt returner on the Griz' football team. THE END
I will definitely question Stitt if he let's Fumblina do his usual shitty job returning punts.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
havgrizfan said:

I will definitely question Stitt if he let's Fumblina do his usual shitty job returning punts.
I'd say we just let it play out. Stitt isn't one to ignore the elephant in the room and allow a poor habit or routine continue, if Nguyen gets some returns early this season and gives the staff a reason to replace him....I'm sure that will happen.

brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
havgrizfan said:

I'd say we just let it play out. Stitt isn't one to ignore the elephant in the room and allow a poor habit or routine continue, if Nguyen gets some returns early this season and gives the staff a reason to replace him....I'm sure that will happen.

Exactly. I see no reason Stitt shouldn't see if the kid can be coached out of his fears or poor technique. I still don't get how recovered muffs negate a propensity to put the ball on the ground. As for spring ball, didn't know the playoff selection committee looked at spring or fall camp tapes. And I've never tried to judge a player's talent or ability with his ass checks blocking my vision.

From far away I doubt if Nygen is returing any balls this coming fall. Of course I will be back in Mt to check my thoughts...

Reason #74 Bob Stitt is a good football coach: he doesn't listen to opinions from fan message boards on personnel decisions.

Back