• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATE WRESTLING

Griz#64 said:
Normally the wrestlers are the toughest kids in the room. No substitutions, no time outs, one on one, man to man.The best conditioned, If you don't believe me Just get on the Mat with one. And they make great football players, because they understand leverage, quickness, never quit, and have a hard nose, but sometimes the ears have a little cauliflower
Bingo! Growing up on a farm/ranch spread back in prehistoric times, I considered myself to be in damn good shape. (Walking along flipping fresh-tied hay bails onto a flat-bed truck with two hooks gets you fit. Stacking was no picnic either). My good country buddy was on the wrestling team and, as a favor, I used to do some pretty strenuous warm-up exercises with him. Of course, he worked just as hard on the ranch as I did, if not harder. But when you add in his sport conditioning program, it was no contest in terms of overall strength and fitness. (Of course, he had all-state technique, so I was never foolish enough to actually wrestle with him.)
Ursus1 said:
D1 wrestler after doing a Bobby winter conditioning session...."So now what do we do after that warm up?"
:thumb:

IdaGriz01 said:
... there is a glimmer of hope (and justification for those who claim some progress). In some areas, club wrestling has seen some substantial growth. I wasn't able to find any hard numbers for the whole country, but some regions talk about doubling their numbers over the past few years.
Something I didn't mention, but should have ... and it could have a positive long-term impact on the health of the sport. You look at the newsletters for many of these wrestling clubs, and quite a few highlight both sexes. Not male vs female (which, I believe, does happen in high school wrestling), but separate competitions for both. I assume that anatomy and sheer muscle mass would make adult male-female wrestling unlikely to be competitive. But, just as we now have female boxing (with reduced-length rounds, admittedly), adult women do compete in wrestling ... and not as an exhibition or "freak show." I looked at some YouTube videos, and I sure as Hell wouldn't go onto a mat with some of the bigger ladies.

IdaGriz01 said:
Griz#64 said:
Normally the wrestlers are the toughest kids in the room. No substitutions, no time outs, one on one, man to man.The best conditioned, If you don't believe me Just get on the Mat with one. And they make great football players, because they understand leverage, quickness, never quit, and have a hard nose, but sometimes the ears have a little cauliflower
Bingo! Growing up on a farm/ranch spread back in prehistoric times, I considered myself to be in damn good shape. (Walking along flipping fresh-tied hay bails onto a flat-bed truck with two hooks gets you fit. Stacking was no picnic either). My good country buddy was on the wrestling team and, as a favor, I used to do some pretty strenuous warm-up exercises with him. Of course, he worked just as hard on the ranch as I did, if not harder. But when you add in his sport conditioning program, it was no contest in terms of overall strength and fitness. (Of course, he had all-state technique, so I was never foolish enough to actually wrestle with him.)
Ursus1 said:
D1 wrestler after doing a Bobby winter conditioning session...."So now what do we do after that warm up?"
:thumb:

greenie, meet greenie.

As Betty white says: You need to get some Balls boys ,hell they are soft.You need to be a P__sy. they can really take a pounding-

BigPapa406 said:
Griz90 said:
Eagles could whip you all this year!

I love yeah Brother but Sidney is lucky Colstrp dropped to class B.

Good luck with that. Eagles have rolled thru every team they've faced - regardless of AA, A, B or C - all season long. Seventeen Eagle grapplers qualified for State and 15 will be on the matts Saturday morning.

Griz90 said:
BigPapa406 said:
Griz90 said:

Good luck with that. Eagles have rolled thru every team they've faced - regardless of AA, A, B or C - all season long. Seventeen Eagle grapplers qualified for State and 15 will be on the matts Saturday morning.

Oh I agree friend. I was more reliving the good old days when we stomped the Sidney marching eagles in duals. I am rooting for a changing of the guard this year.

Not really a changing of the guard in Class A. When Havre doesn't win, Sidney does. When Sidney doesn't win, Havre does. It's pretty much gonna keep going like that as long as Filius and Melby want to keep coaching. Havre doesn't have the horses to stay with Sidney's depth this year, just like no one had the horses to stay with Havre the last five. But Havre isn't going anywhere. The HWC has 172 kids in it this year, which is up over 30 from last year. The 8th-grad class is loaded as well, including a kid who will come in and be very good at 145 or 152, which you don't see from a freshman very often.

George agreed both are great coaches and awesome for the sport. I was just ribbing him and now you that you are both lucky Colstrip got dropped down to B.

If the bracket shows rift, we will have a female placer at 103 this year in B/C. Stroh from Chinook is wrestling a girl from Jefferson in the consolation semi-finals. On a related note, the girl from Kalispell is a monster. Worth watching her wrestle if you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griz90 said:
BigPapa406 said:
Griz90 said:

Congrats 90 on the win. Great showing. Very impressive and great year.

BigPapa406 said:
Griz90 said:
BigPapa406 said:
Griz90 said:

Congrats 90 on the win. Great showing. Very impressive and great year.

Very happy for all the wrestlers and their coaches. They earned it. Melby had them wrestling as many matches as he could get them. I'd bet each of those guys had more total matches on the season than nearly any other wrestler in their weight group. Tons of matt time versus tough competition. I've seen better teams come out of Sidney with more individual champs, but maybe not a deeper team. Great year for the program.

Griz#64 said:
As Betty white says: You need to get some Balls boys ,hell they are soft.You need to be a P__sy. they can really take a pounding-
Not the way I heard it, but close........ (see below) :D

How many college football teams have a QB who is a two time undefeated State Champion? Not many is my guess. Griz got a winner in Graves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He only had 4 matches go all three rounds this year. He pinned all the rest. That kid would rip his own arm off if it was the difference between winning and losing at anything.

bemiller49 said:
He only had 4 matches go all three rounds this year. He pinned all the rest. That kid would rip his own arm off if it was the difference between winning and losing at anything.

I hope they find a place on defense for him.

stubbins said:
bemiller49 said:

I hope they find a place on defense for him.
I'm glad Bobby likes him at QB, he is a great QB with good size.

He is an outstanding wrestler, he's won over 70 matches in a row. Beast.

Saw Gabe Sulser cheering on Garrett Graves as well as the 3 senior high kids that won state. Man is Sulser little.......every time I see him I can't get over how small he looks

Back