• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATE WRESTLING

Wrestling provides the "little" athletes a way to compete. Wrestlers are not confined to weight and height requirements as in BB & FB. They can compete re: their weight class. Toughness is not dependent on size, and I think that's the attraction of wrestling: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

And, yes, there's the one on one thing. Yet, in all sport, does it not come down to one on one? Witness ball carrier/tackler; OL/DL; batter/pitcher; goalie/attacker; shooter/defender, etc. Doesn't it all come down to which guy beats the other guy in any sport? Wrestling probably trains a football player best for that one on one, but there again is the size requirement. Boxing is in the same category, but an unpopular sport, now.

Grizzoola said:
Wrestling provides the "little" athletes a way to compete. Wrestlers are not confined to weight and height requirements as in BB & FB.

Wrestlers -are- confined to weight requirements. Sure they can move to another weight class, but rarely in season does that happen. I only wrestled two weights in HS, 145 and 160. Three years at the latter.

MrTitleist said:
Grizzoola said:
Wrestling provides the "little" athletes a way to compete. Wrestlers are not confined to weight and height requirements as in BB & FB.
Wrestlers -are- confined to weight requirements. Sure they can move to another weight class, but rarely in season does that happen. I only wrestled two weights in HS, 145 and 160. Three years at the latter.
What I meant & poorly stated was that wrestling provides for guys not big enough for BB & FB a means to compete. This is the value of other sports like soccer. It's also the value of DII, DIII, & NAIA sports.

I was at the All Class Wrestling State Tournament in Billings. What a fantastic event, as it always is. The wrestlers are in awe of the large audiences. It's a big-time competitive environment for big-time athletes.

I went to support my long-time buddies kid wrestle for the state championship for Butte. He was leading the whole match, with a couple seconds remaining he was taken down near the out-of-bounds and lost as time expired. Heart breaking. But he took it extremely well. That's what wrestling teaches you, sportsmanship. We need more of that in this world as a whole.

I watched Graves wrestle. The championship went all three rounds and he won 12-9. It was a battle. I am glad to have this tough SOB at QB for the Griz!!!

Also, there were multiple blood stoppages during Graves championship match. It felt like forever for the match to finish. It held up the tournament. The AA and A mats couldn't start the next title match at 205 until the B/C mat with Graves finished at 182 and was then ready for their own 205 title match.

Graves Eureka team finished in 2nd place.

Garret Graves (Eureka) and Spencer Jones (Florence) after their State Championship match:

FDE29B8F-19CB-4291-95F3-FAC9CE26EA05-630x420.jpeg

Grizzoola said:
And, yes, there's the one on one thing. Yet, in all sport, does it not come down to one on one? Witness ball carrier/tackler; OL/DL; batter/pitcher; goalie/attacker; shooter/defender, etc. Doesn't it all come down to which guy beats the other guy in any sport? Wrestling probably trains a football player best for that one on one, but there again is the size requirement. Boxing is in the same category, but an unpopular sport, now.
Track and Field

WaGriz4life said:
stubbins said:
bemiller49 said:
He only had 4 matches go all three rounds this year. He pinned all the rest. That kid would rip his own arm off if it was the difference between winning and losing at anything.

I hope they find a place on defense for him.
I'm glad Bobby likes him at QB, he is a great QB with good size.

He is an outstanding wrestler, he's won over 70 matches in a row. Beast.

Saw Gabe Sulser cheering on Garrett Graves as well as the 3 senior high kids that won state. Man is Sulser little.......every time I see him I can't get over how small he looks

Gabe was a very good wrestler when young. Had he stayed with it instead of going bball route he would have been there competing, and I would say very likely a champion

Saw the Windauer kid from Columbia Falls won. Believe he won the state pole vault last year as a junior so you know he's fast plus one of the hardest hitting high school kids I've seen when he played safety for C Falls. Pretty cool to see a kid be a state champion in three sports.

kemajic said:
Grizzoola said:
Track and Field

Kids that can excel in wrestling and track usually make good football players.

I personally owe a lot to the sport of wrestling. Many make it out to be a pure individual sport, but you really rely on your teammates to push you, train you, and help you improve your techniques. That is why you see some of these programs put several kids in the championship rounds and dominate the standings. You put that same kid in a weaker program, he might be a step or more lower on the podium.

Really wish Montana had a D1 wrestling program.

Sam A. Blitz said:
kemajic said:
Grizzoola said:
Track and Field

I personally owe a lot to the sport of wrestling. Many make it out to be a pure individual sport, but you really rely on your teammates to push you, train you, and help you improve your techniques. That is why you see some of these programs put several kids in the championship rounds and dominate the standings. You put that same kid in a weaker program, he might be a step or more lower on the podium.

How many more sports are needed for D1? Add wrestling and rowing...one of the conference schools rows and another one has Lacrosse if my memory is not completely gone...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
kemajic said:
Grizzoola said:
Track and Field

How many more sports are needed for D1? Add wrestling and rowing...one of the conference schools rows and another one has Lacrosse if my memory is not completely gone...

Wrestling has a much richer tradition in Montana than many of the sports offered. Will probably never happen because of Title 9.

Sam A. Blitz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
kemajic said:
Track and Field

Wrestling has a much richer tradition in Montana than many of the sports offered. Will probably never happen because of Title 9.

You're correct, in my opinion. Title IX and the administration at MSU killed their athletic programs.

I always offer an option to meet the requirements of maintaining the equitable balance of Title IX when I presuppose adding wrestling and baseball, for instance. Add rowing, Lacrosse and Hockey.

Budget issues? Increase the admission standands, limit the enrollment and get the tuition up to the national average. This is an elite institution but now it needs to truly become elite. But, what do I know about school and community growth?

Back