• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt addresses passing on FGs

CDAGRIZ said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
After he went for it the first time and failed, it forced his hand on the second one.

This. I don't mind his second one so much once he put himself in that horrible spot but he wouldn't have been in that situation if we converted a fg instead.

I don't buy it. Wouldn't he have to go for the second one if he kicked the first? A second FG wouldn't tie it.

Spot on. Which was exactly Stitt's point CDA. That if they were down 6 then it's a whole different ballgame and he takes FGs. Being down 7 forced a gutsy call and once unsuccessful he had no choice but to try it again.

CDAGRIZ said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
After he went for it the first time and failed, it forced his hand on the second one.

This. I don't mind his second one so much once he put himself in that horrible spot but he wouldn't have been in that situation if we converted a fg instead.

I don't buy it. Wouldn't he have to go for the second one if he kicked the first? A second FG wouldn't tie it.

After the failed first attempt, even with the second FG the Griz would still need a TD, still down 4. If he kicks both FG's, then they would only need another FG.

He probably would have gone for the second too, but not getting the first one gave him no choice.

As much as I hate to say it, Stitt's logic makes sense. I think his decision was wrong and I thought so when he made it. However, I do see his side.

billingsgriz said:
It must be true or he would have kicked the field goal if Coach Stitt believed that since we had already visited Weber's red zone twice, we could make it back there a 3rd, 4th or 5th time as well before the end of the game.

He talked of simplifying the playbook for Makena--I would have, too. But Coach Stitt's confidence was lacking or he would have at least kicked the second field goal instead of once again, going for it on 4th down.

Actions speak louder than words, and this is Exhibit A.

This is occurring in the 3rd quarter and you are only down one score. The BS about third string QB is a fake crutch. The guy did move the team, was active in running the ball, and the problem was the coach. Not the QB, not the O line, Not the team. The coach did not have confidence in the team and the team knows it. His comments are just BS and do not wash. The coaches ego and arrogance were the reason for not going for the FG. Now, I have read on the blog that FG's don't really count that much or win games. Well, NDSU does not think that way about the "made" FG from the Griz in the 4th Qtr,,,,, down by how many at the time??????
Cal Poly thinks a FG can win a game. Geez, Weber thinks a FG can win a game.

Yep, the explanation is total BS. He made the call twice and both were wrong calls.

Fwiw: I would be satisfied with every offensive possession resulting in a FG with our defense.

HookedonGriz said:
Last night on the coaches show, Stitt talked about passing up on those field goals. His biggest point was that the Griz were down by 7 at the time and were down to their third string quarterback and he didn't know how many other opportunities they would have to try and tie the game. He said if they were down 6 points that's a different story because then another field goal ties it.

He went on to say that he passed on the second field goal due to the fact they missed out on converting that previous fourth-down. He felt at that point since he missed out on that opportunity earlier he had to make up for it and go after a touchdown.

He finished by saying that he makes decisions to try and win football games. That his decisions are trying to put his team in the best position to win.

I can see both sides of this. If he converts and they score a touchdown we are all applauding his gutsy call. If he sends the kicker out there and the kicker misses it then we are mad he didn't go for the 2 yards. If he makes a FG they are still down 4 and still need to score a TD at that point to win the game. His explanation made a lot of sense to me.

Well, Stitt showed us in Game one that this explanation is bogus. In the NDSU game, in the 4th quarter, with less time on the clock, with a much better opposing team on the field, he went for the FG instead of going on fourth down for the first down. That gave him a better chance of winning for the team????

Well, now we are in the Third quarter, down by less than in the NDSU game, against a lesser opponent, with the defense stepping up and from a much closer distance and you try to justify your actions by saying it was for the team???? That doesn't wash by his own previous decisions. We still come to the question, why not go for the FG on both drives in the third quarter. It was definitely ego and arrogance without regard for the team. Actions do speak louder than words.

Joseppy said:
HookedonGriz said:
Last night on the coaches show, Stitt talked about passing up on those field goals. His biggest point was that the Griz were down by 7 at the time and were down to their third string quarterback and he didn't know how many other opportunities they would have to try and tie the game. He said if they were down 6 points that's a different story because then another field goal ties it.

He went on to say that he passed on the second field goal due to the fact they missed out on converting that previous fourth-down. He felt at that point since he missed out on that opportunity earlier he had to make up for it and go after a touchdown.

He finished by saying that he makes decisions to try and win football games. That his decisions are trying to put his team in the best position to win.

I can see both sides of this. If he converts and they score a touchdown we are all applauding his gutsy call. If he sends the kicker out there and the kicker misses it then we are mad he didn't go for the 2 yards. If he makes a FG they are still down 4 and still need to score a TD at that point to win the game. His explanation made a lot of sense to me.

Well, Stitt showed us in Game one that this explanation is bogus. In the NDSU game, in the 4th quarter, with less time on the clock, with a much better opposing team on the field, he went for the FG instead of going on fourth down for the first down. That gave him a better chance of winning for the team????

Well, now we are in the Third quarter, down by less than in the NDSU game, against a lesser opponent, with the defense stepping up and from a much closer distance and you try to justify your actions by saying it was for the team???? That doesn't wash by his own previous decisions. We still come to the question, why not go for the FG on both drives in the third quarter. It was definitely ego and arrogance without regard for the team. Actions do speak louder than words.

NDSU: we had Brady.
Weber State: we were down to our 3rd string QB who hadn't seen any playing time at all this year.

With all due respect, Hooked, I disagree. His decision to go for it twice on 4th down was an option, not a necessity.

Being down 7--and lacking confidence in his offense to get back to the red zone--led Coach Stitt to go for it, twice. And he made this decision even though Makena drove us deep into Weber's red zone twice in the second half, before the TD pass to Ben Roberts.

Had he had the confidence in his offense and Makena as our QB, he would have at least kicked the second one.
I also think his confidence in our D must have been wavering as well, even though they had shut down Weber up to that point in the second half and would until OT.

I like your thinking on this, Joseppy !!!

If you have confidence in your O and D, you have to at least kick the second field goal, and you make an excellent case why we should have kicked both of them.

If we were down by 14 +, I could see going for it both times. But being down only 7 ? No way .. unless you don't think your O or D can handle being down one score in the 3rd Qtr. And if that was Coach Stitt's thinking and apparently it was, no problem. While I understand Coach Stitt's apparent reasoning, I would think most objective observers would interpret said decision to go for it twice deep in Weber's red zone in the 3rd Qtr down by 7 as a lack of confidence in his team on both sides of the ball.

You're right.

Next time, Stitt should use the benefit of hindsight beforehand and know that he's going to get a long TD pass on a play that hasn't been open all day.

I mean, it was obvious that we'd score like that, so clearly he should have known ahead of time that even one of those field goals would have won the game.

But he didn't.

I blame his ego. :coffee:

uofmman1122 said:
You're right.

Next time, Stitt should use the benefit of hindsight beforehand and know that he's going to get a long TD pass on a play that hasn't been open all day.

I mean, it was obvious that we'd score like that, so clearly he should have known ahead of time that even one of those field goals would have won the game.

But he didn't.

:clap: :clap: spot on!

uofmman1122 said:
You're right.

But he didn't.

I would say the odds of us getting a break offensively or even defensively sometime in a full quarter are higher than our odds of converting a 4th and 3.

There is no, zero, none ,natta , reason or reasons not to kick the field goal at that stage of the game on Saturday at Washington Grizzly Stadium. It's mind boggling how some will try and justify such a bonehead mistake. But putting aside that this in fact Division 1 Football and it was a conference home game I guess we need to allow the young and inexperienced such mistakes. Bottom line he over thunk it and made a poor decision. What's worse in his mind it's the players fault by not executing a "good call." Wow won't even say I made a mistake, and yes he made a mistake.

So he has no confidence in the offense or Simis and figured he wouldn't get another shot. There is a morale boost for the locker room. Makes no sense. Either way it was going to take two scores to win. Take the three.

Glendivegriz said:
So he has no confidence in the offense or Simis and figured he wouldn't get another shot. There is a morale boost for the locker room. Makes no sense. Either way it was going to take two scores to win. Take the three.

This is lost a lot in this conversation. Wasn't another chance to score required to get the W? So regardless of whether he thinks we will get another one or not we have to score twice.

It's essentially the same as if you're down 15 and you score a TD. You don't go for 2 and risk being out of the game entirely on the first TD. You take the points and plan on going for two the next time around. Live to play another down.

No, uofmman, you're right !!!

The next time we are down seven in the third qtr, our D is playing well--not allowing any second-half points up to that point, and as we now know, wouldn't allow any 2nd half points at all, and our O has driven us deep into the opponent's red zone, twice--we did know that, no hindsight required, we should again

1. Panic !
2. Poop and pee uncontrollably down our leg ! and
3. Go for it because we're never going to get back here, screw the FG's !
4. And lose another close game at WA-GRIZ !!! (Having a winning record at home is really overrated, after all !)

Eriul said:
uofmman1122 said:
You're right.

But he didn't.

I would say the odds of us getting a break offensively or even defensively sometime in a full quarter are higher than our odds of converting a 4th and 3.
You mean like throwing another pick?

Or not moving the ball anyway, considering we scored on our second and third possessions, but then went cold for a quarter and a half?

Or leaving it to the defense who hasn't shown they can stop the run all game to get the ball back?

It's been beat to death, but I understand why people are upset about not taking field goals, but you HAVE TO remember that you have the benefit of hindsight that coach Stitt didn't have.

And considering how much shit he got for kicking the field goal against NDSU, the people grilling him on here would've found something to get pissed about no matter what happened.

Glendivegriz said:

Like 2 field goals......

billingsgriz said:
No, uofmman, you're right !!!

The next time we are down seven in the third qtr, our D is playing well--not allowing any second-half points up to that point, and as we now know, wouldn't allow any 2nd half points at all, and our O has driven us deep into the opponent's red zone, twice--we did know that, no hindsight required, we should again

1. Panic !
2. Poop and pee uncontrollably down our leg ! and
3. Go for it because we're never going to get back here, screw the FG's !
4. And lose another close game at WA-GRIZ !!! (Having a winning record at home is really overrated, after all !)
You're proving my point here. No one knew at the time that that would be the case.

Say he kicks both field goals, but then we never get the Roberts TD.

You'd all be crucifying him on here for being a wuss and not manning up and going for it.

There were a lot of things that lead to us losing the game.
It wasn't Stitt's fault our QB threw a pick six. It wasn't Stitt's fault our defense couldn't stay home vs. a WR pass. It wasn't Stitt's fault we couldn't stop their run game (OMG FIRE TY!!!1!1).

And seriously, what if we had missed both field goals?

I get that you guys don't like Stitt, but you're choosing to ignore a lot because it's easier to hate on the guy.

nzone said:
There is no, zero, none ,natta , reason or reasons not to kick the field goal at that stage of the game on Saturday at Washington Grizzly Stadium. It's mind boggling how some will try and justify such a bonehead mistake. But putting aside that this in fact Division 1 Football and it was a conference home game I guess we need to allow the young and inexperienced such mistakes. Bottom line he over thunk it and made a poor decision. What's worse in his mind it's the players fault by not executing a "good call." Wow won't even say I made a mistake, and yes he made a mistake.

Funny things about fans and football...if the Griz convert that 4th and 2 from the 9 and score a touchdown, nzone is probably on here with an entirely different perspective...because hindsight is great...people are pissed because it failed...no one would be pissed if it succeeded....guess nzone has gone his entire life playing by the book...

Latest posts

Back