• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The case for Ty Gregorak

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWahlberg

DONOR
Don't consider this post an endorsement, however I think this season we have seen Ty emerge as a possible strong candidate for the Grizzly head coaching job. Yes I know, you, the average egriz poster doesn't like the idea. Nepotism, unaggressive defense, national search, need an outsider, and so on. I get it and I know Haslam does too.

However if the best candidate is revealed to be in-house over the course of this national search, I trust Kent makes the right hire here. I don't think he would hire an outsider because he feels he has to nor do I think he would hire a "Montana guy" because he thinks he has to. All I hope is that the best choice is made, and if it happens to be Ty Gregorak (who I assume is applying) then hire this dude.

Here's why I think Ty makes a strong case;

1. The 2014 defense. Ty has his guys and system in place and the Montana defense is tops in many categories this season. If the MSU game was the best job application I've seen in a while, ha! Best scoring defense, 2nd best total defense, 2nd best rush defense, 3rd best pass defense, 4th best in interceptions, the most amount of sacks, 3rd lowest amount of 1st downs allowed per game, 4th lowest in penalties, best in turnover margin at +16, 4th best in total turnovers forced. In his 3 years here he's improved this defense to once again being the solid unit that we've grown use to seeing.

2. He relates incredibly well to his players. The players love him. I'm sure there are some that don't but I'm hard pressed to find them. Even former players who left when Ty had just returned have told me that he's the man for the job. Most all defensive players would run through a wall for this guy and think he's one of the best choices for head coach. I've even heard that from players on offense too.

3. He is an incredible motivator. Go watch a practice or two, you'll see what I mean. Go sit in on a meeting or hear him speak to boosters or supporters, you'll see what I mean. Did you know that Ty was the guy who has been leading the internal push to get the facilities work done? He's gone and talked to the statewide GSA board and got them entirely on board to make facility improvements the #1 concern AND got the GSA to agree to make a sizable commitment (did this a few years back now). I've heard stories of pre-game speeches, actions, and spectacles. This guy gets it when it comes to motivation.

4. He's a great speaker, he's empathetic to fans, and connects well with boosters. I sat in on a GSA meeting in my last year on the local board where Ty came and told us straight up he was more pissed off than all Griz fans combined about the play of his defense in the year before (I believe this was after his 1st year as DC). Ty is personable, he connects well with people, and he's got a good presence when speaking to fans or the media.

5. He gets what it means to be a Grizzly. He hates the cats. He knows our traditions. He knows our expectations and shares those with all of us.

6. He presumably has his pulse on who to keep from this staff. This is a guess on my part but with Ty's tenure here I assume he knows who is worth retaining in this staff and what areas need an upgrade.

7. He could help bring along another emerging DC and hire and OC who can have total control of the offense. People that are worried about his defense that they label isn't flashy probably don't have much to worry about, I assume his choice in OC, be it the current guys or a new hire, would have a large portion of control of the offense. I don't see Ty calling plays on offense, but that's just this fan's opinion.

8. We probably wouldn't lose anyone from the roster. Or hardly anyone at least. The kids know and respect Ty. The recruits do too. This would be a smooth transition that wouldn't put the loss of recruits or talented current roster players in out there.

9. He's a leader. His actions speak for themselves. He leads by example.

Admit it - most of you probably think Ty is an up and coming head coach anyways. You probably hold reservations though from being too soon for him, to not wanting him simply because he would be an internal hire, to not liking his style of defense. There's other concerns that maybe Haslam and Engstrom would have, Ty had a bump in the road with his dismissal from UNLV, there's no hiding or denying that - even though the charges against him were dropped.

If Ty were to bring in a vastly experienced OC, hire an experienced special teams coach, and then make staffing moves that he sees fit for the program, I think it would work, it could work real well.

Ty has learned and worked under some great coaches. You are correct about the kids respecting him. they would jump off a cliff if he told them too. By far the most respected coach on the current staff and his defense has showed it.
I would like to see the playing time our defense has compared to the Offense it has to be very lop sided.
Even if we do get a new head coach I would like to see Ty stay as DC. But more so I would like to see what he could get done as a HC

Brint, could you do a post on this for coach next?

bag-of-poo-01.jpg

Amen !!! ... and stay tuned, Brint and everyone else.

If we win this weekend, a big IF and I am not taking San Diego for granted--there is a reason they are in the playoffs, and we expended a lot of energy pounding the Shi##y Kitties !-- if we win, Ty (and Scott) look even better because of the accumulation of their 3 years as DC and OC culminating in the last two annual beat downs of The Bobcats and now success in the playoffs.

When the program is a mess, that's the time to clean house and fire the entire staff and bring in new blood from outside. When the team is firing on all cylinders in all three phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams + the classroom and the university and community), that's when it's time to promote from within or pick someone with a strong past connection to the current/recent head coaches and program, a former GRIZ assistant and/or player that is currently coaching and like Bobby did in 2003 when he was hired, has a clear and concise plan for the further future growth and success of the program

If we win again this weekend, I think our AD has a difficult time to not, at the very least, interview Ty and Scott. I am pretty sure our loquacious HC Delaney will continue to bend AD Haslam's ear for Ty and Scott whenever he gets the chance.

Would be a great coach we should hire him before the game on Saturday so he can keep recruiting going.

maroonandsilver said:
Posters keep suggesting names. So far I havn't seen anyone I would take over Ty.
I've only seen one that I would take Ty over...and he's also on the staff...

Ty is going to be a head coach someday...just not now. I would guess he would be next in line in five years when the next coach moves on.

billingsgriz said:

If we win this weekend, a big IF and I am not taking San Diego for granted--there is a reason they are in the playoffs, and we expended a lot of energy pounding the Shi##y Kitties !-- if we win, Ty (and Scott) look even better because of the accumulation of their 3 years as DC and OC culminating in the last two annual beat downs of The Bobcats and now success in the playoffs.

When the program is a mess, that's the time to clean house and fire the entire staff and bring in new blood from outside. When the team is firing on all cylinders in all three phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams + the classroom and the university and community), that's when it's time to promote from within or pick someone with a strong past connection to the current/recent head coaches and program, a former GRIZ assistant and/or player that is currently coaching and like Bobby did in 2003 when he was hired, has a clear and concise plan for the further future growth and success of the program

If we win again this weekend, I think our AD has a difficult time to not, at the very least, interview Ty and Scott. I am pretty sure our loquacious HC Delaney will continue to bend AD Haslam's ear for Ty and Scott whenever he gets the chance.

Really, San Diego may very well be the poorest team the Griz have faced this season...

billingsgriz said:

If we win this weekend and then knock EWU out, I would consider it. Beating USD at home is not success in the playoffs for the Griz. Go on the road and knock off the Eags, now we are talking.

Ty lost 3 linebackers to the pro ranks last year and his defense got way better. Not knocking on Tripp, Coyle, or JP - but it seems pretty clear he's doing something pretty darn good with this defenes.

Every year his defense has improved, Brint--to me, that speaks highly of his maturation and increasing ability as a coach as well as his staff. His defense, with the exception of the SLO game and their fairly unique triple-option offense and Eastern's league-leading and explosive offense, has been outstanding this year. And something tells me that IF we play Vernon and Eastern again, the results just might, maybe, possibly be different this time !

And it doesn't hurt that 4 of his LB's are currently or were making their living on Sundays or Saturdays in the CFL and NFL: McSurdy, Kanongata, Coyle and Tripp.

blackfootipa said:
billingsgriz said:

If we win again this weekend, I think our AD has a difficult time to not, at the very least, interview Ty and Scott. I am pretty sure our loquacious HC Delaney will countinue to bend AD Haslam's ear for Ty and Scott whenever he gets the chance.

If we win this weekend and then knock EWU out, I would consider it. Beating USD at home is not success in the playoffs for the Griz. Go on the road and knock off the Eags, now we are talking.

I concur. Beating Eastern on the road in the playoffs would be enough to get him to possible front runner status in my book. Nice post.

Big mistake. He's not ready to be the head guy. Take your rose colored glasses off. There are some really good coaches who will have their applications in soon. We can and should do much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back