• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The case for Ty Gregorak

Status
Not open for further replies.
jbear said:
Big mistake. He's not ready to be the head guy. Take your rose colored glasses off. There are some really good coaches who will have their applications in soon. We can and should do much better!
sadly I agree. As much as I think Ty has improved as a coach and a coordinator, I don't think he's ready for this head job yet. I would honestly rather have the guy from Wisconsin whitewater.

TG is endorsed and being fully supported by Delaney. That says alot to me. My view is that Delaney is probably in the very best position to know what is best for UM, as well as to evaluate TG.

TG is a great recruiter. One of the best around.

TG would keep the momentum of what seems to be occurring with UM football in the past 2 years. He would keep the best assistants. There would be little risk of any drop off or loss of momentum. Not much risk--compared to bringing in any outsider or even someone with connections to Montana. With respect to offense, even if Kefense was kept as the OC, he would probably run a more offensive-minded offense if Delaney were not the head coach. I don't know that; just guessing.

I just don't think success in some other region of the country and a nice, slick paper application overrides current, concrete success right here in Montana and The Big Sky and the judgment of Coach Delaney and his 50 years coaching experience that Ty (or Scott) is ready for the job !!!

I will stick with believing my own lyin' eyes and actual results in WA-GRIZ and The Big SKy over paper applications and hypotheticals !

With all due respect, jbear, I disagree.

billingsgriz said:
Every year his defense has improved, Brint--to me, that speaks highly of his maturation and increasing ability as a coach as well as his staff. His defense, with the exception of the SLO game and their fairly unique triple-option offense and Eastern's league-leading and explosive offense, has been outstanding this year. And something tells me that IF we play Vernon and Eastern again, the results just might, maybe, possibly be different this time !

And it doesn't hurt that 4 of his LB's are currently or were making their living on Sundays or Saturdays in the CFL and NFL: McSurdy, Kanongata, Coyle and Tripp.

I agree billingsgriz. I think just as important as the defense improving every year - the defense makes in-game adjustments and half time adjustments. What works and what doesnt work and reacts accordingly, it seems like a simple idea and yet so many coaches dont or wont. I would say if the defense gets us to the chipper, Ty's got to be considered seriously as the new HC.

there is a large difference between being a defensive-coordinator and being a head coach. A lot of posters felt that it was too soon for him to be a coordinator and after 3 years he is ready to make the jump to run the ship? Maybe he is maybe he is not, however, I just hope Haslem truely interviews some great candidates. If he decided on Ty, so be it

I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other on Ty, but I will say this:

Whatever happened in Las Vegas all those years ago should not disqualify him from consideration for the job.

He made a mistake, yes. Lots of people do. And in general, we need to recognize that, be less judgmental, and be more willing to give people a second chance. Obviously some mistakes are so serious that a second chance is not possible. Gregorak's mistake does not fall into that category.

Just my opinion...

I wonder how many of these "Hire Ty" posts we would be seeing right now if we had lost to the Cats or even if it was a close win? This was one game people! I think fans, myself included, tend to get too caught up in the emotion of single game heroics. While this 2014 defense has looked great on the whole, we have also seen this D be very vulnerable at times to giving up big chunks of yards to better offenses (see SUU, EWU, Cal Poly). And some will remember that the 2013 squad, in spite of having some of the best LBs and D-lineman in Griz history, was hardly the statistically dominant unit you would expect from such talent. I think Ty is a great guy and a coach on the rise, but he has definitely not had the sustained level of success you would expect from a coordinator ascending to the HC throne. I just fail to see how Ty's resume, at this point in his career, is even close to on par with most of the possible candidates that've been mentioned so far. Pease has been a successful coordinator at the highest levels of college football for years. Leipold is the fastest coach ever to 100 wins and has won 5 championships in 6 years. We've seen first-hand the success Baldwin has had at Eastern. How does Ty and his relatively short-term success compare with names like these? He doesn't. The best thing Ty has going for him in this race is the loyalty and support of his players, which speaks to his leadership skills. While this should definitely be considered by Haslam, it would be a huge mistake to place too much stock in the views of players that are too emotionally invested in a coach they have won and lost with to be objective. Ty may very well turn out to be a great HC some day, but we are not in a position to be turning down coaches with proven track records in order to gamble on Ty. I mean last year,UM-Western didn't feel Ty was ready to be their coach. But now he is suddenly ready to take the reigns of a much bigger program with loftier expectations? I don't think so. Good luck to Ty and perhaps we'll see him again down the line, but now is just not the time.

To be fair, I don't think anybody is basing his opinion on one game. Everybody is talking about season stats, not single game stats. But again, I don't have a strong opinion either way...

I agree NEZD with your comments about Ty making adjustments to our D, and I think he has improved also in this area of his coaching over the past 3 years !

He doesn't have the experience of a 50-60 year old HC applying for the GRIZ job, putter--I agree, but Ty does have the drive, enthusiasm and energy of a 37 year old coordinator that loves what he does--he has a passion for football and it shows !!!

I think his positives far outweigh his negatives !!!

I would not be opposed to TG as being our next HC as long as he was the best candidate given a COMPLETE national search was implemented! It is ludicrous to think that we should stay in house. Let's put the job up for grabs and let's see who applies.

I agree with a lot that is said. However, Mr. Haslam will hire the candidate that he feels fits the best. If it is Ty, sobeit! For the people on this board, it doesn't matter who gets hired, there will be a lot of bitching and complaining. Until a coach is in position and wins big games, bitching and moaning will transpire on this site. I for one am just sitting back waiting for the announcement at seasons end. For now, I will watch this mighty Griz team make a run for frisco!

I sit on the first row seats right behind the DB's. I have taught and coached for 45 years and I think Ty does a great job of teaching. I like the emotion he bring to his job and I believe he truly loves coaching his team. He understands Montana and of course he hates the team we just destroyed. Brint's posts have always been informative and in my estimation fair. Sure, I want Dave but it is just not going to happen. If Mick thinks he is the best choice then I'm in. I love college football and I watch teams change coaches and think they are going to get better over night. Many times the programs get worse and the revolving door starts . Ty knows us we know him, lets give him a chance.

You guys that oppose Ty (and Scott), I hear you ... I mean when is the last time we hired a young assistant coach that had never been a head coach but had strong connections to the GRIZ program and how did that work out ?

Its my understanding that Mick has been endorsing TG for head coach. If thats the case, I wonder if Mick has attempted to hand the reins over to him. Is that why we saw a different offensive look against the cats? I've been suprised that they didnt attempt to name an assistant head coach in an effort to create some sort of succession plan. Maybe Ty gets to effectively coach the team in the playoffs as a sort of resume builder? We don't really know whats going on behind the scenes.

AllWeatherFan said:
To be fair, I don't think anybody is basing his opinion on one game. Everybody is talking about season stats, not single game stats. But again, I don't have a strong opinion either way...

But would there by three different threads discussing Ty's prospects right now if we hadn't so utterly dominated the Cats? As much coaching speculation as there was last week, Ty's name certainly did not have as dominant a place in the discussion as it does now. What does that say about the role of Cat-Griz?

BWahlberg said:
Ty lost 3 linebackers to the pro ranks last year and his defense got way better. Not knocking on Tripp, Coyle, or JP - but it seems pretty clear he's doing something pretty darn good with this defenes.
Could also speak to him miss-using the 2013 group; particularly Tripp, who was constantly out of position, trying to play more positions than his own. Anyone remember the CC game?

I agree his defenses have gotten better each year, but they have not been outstanding and occasionally look lost (think CPSLO). It's all relative to the really poor defenses in the BSC. So he is just now getting to be a good DC. With zero HC or offense experience, that does not make him a top candidate for a D1 HC job. I suspect Haslam will include him and he will fall short relative to more complete candidates.

gotgame75 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

But would there by three different threads discussing Ty's prospects right now if we hadn't so utterly dominated the Cats? As much coaching speculation as there was last week, Ty's name certainly did not have as dominant a place in the discussion as it does now. What does that say about the role of Cat-Griz?

My belief is No...everyone would be insisting they do a National search and hire a head coach not on the current staff.

billingsgriz said:
You guys that oppose Ty (and Scott), I hear you ... I mean when is the last time we hired a young assistant coach that had never been a head coach but had strong connections to the GRIZ program and how did that work out ?
Ask Alpha.

After the Pat Kennedy debacle, I am not sold on "resumes," per se. His resume was great, he presented well in person, and had a great coaching career. Everything on paper looked great. But he just did not click with the University of Montana. He couldn't talk about any of the history here; he didn't know any of it. He couldn't tell war stories about past teams and players here; he wasn't part of it. The only connection he seemed to be able to generate during his brief, lugubrious tenure was to sit on the same bench and breathe the same air.

As another poster correctly pointed out, the "system" has been working -- the "system" that relies on known quantities and recognizes past or current affiliations with UM. Hiring from the "outside" in the real world is generally done to overcome and rebuild ineffective or dysfunctional corporate cultures, in large part because "outside" talent is seen to be an agent of change. If we were a struggling program, with poor recruiting, lack of fan enthusiasm, and a poor recent record ... well, isn't that when you recruit outside? Because you want to break up a failing system?

If those aren't the reasons, then it seems risky to bring in someone who, above all, is not well engaged in and understanding of our corporate culture.

Rule 1,2 and 3: if it is isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

In large part, the kids come here because of the program history. I think the head coach needs to be part of that.

This debate is great. My only concern is that we do a national search that is a true honest national search. Does anyone know if the search has started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back