• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Real Problem - "Dear Colleague Letter" US Dept Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
They both want control the left our money, the right our bedrooms. Haven't seen much difference either fiscally or philisophically

Growler1 said:
...nanny state in America.

polit_nanny-state.jpg

grizfromhel said:
I think that there is another, more subtle, but potentially devastating, change going on here. In the past the practice has apparently been to let any criminal charges proceed, or be evaluated, before proceeding with charges under the student conduct code. The change, as I understand it, is that charges under the student conduct code are to proceed---- without regard to whether there may be criminal proceedings.

Harmless change?? Not at all. This puts the accused in a very awkward position if there is a hearing under the student conduct code, since any testimony that he would offer in the student proceeding could be parsed and held against him in a subsequent criminal proceeding. It kind of makes a joke out of his right to remain silent and make the state prove its case in a criminal proceeding.

The practical effect of this change is that any good attorney would advise his client to remain silent in the student proceeding if there was any chance that his testimony could be used in a later criminal proceeding. I have no knowledge but its possible that this is exactly what transpired in the student proceeding with Jordy Johnson, and that his attorney advised him not to testify in the student proceeding so of course he would be found guilty particularly by the lower standard of a "preponderance of the evidence."

Absolutely spot on analysis. No more 5th Amendment, due process or innocent until proven guilty, but no biggie right? We have the PC administrators to rely on....the same ones that think its fine to tip a Saudi off and let him flee.

ordigger said:
Growler1 said:
ordigger said:
Sadly we no longer live by the Constitution in this country. Every day, our laws are changing based on lawyer, judges, advocates, etc interpretations of the the Constitution. The Bill of Rights are slowly going out the window, as personal freedoms and liberties are being taken away.

How many of our laws are not in the Constitution or Bill of Rights? I'll just start with one....the IRS....yep I see them in the Constitution. Exactly what the forefathers of this country fought against is now prevalent in our lives every day. Saw yesterday that NYC wants to prevent the sale of soft drinks over 16 oz to fight obesity. Even wearing your own seat belt is the beginning of the loss of our rights.

You think you vote for the best candidate? Ha, you vote for who the biggest money puts in front of you...our candidates in all parties are jokes now.

Yep, it would be nice if we still lived by the Constitution and Bill of Rights, but we dont....and a judge will decide it or worse yet a lawsuit. America land of the free...and the right to sue!

There will be another Revolution within the next 100 years or so!

Your boy Barrack is the leader in creating a nanny state in America. You bought into the hope and change thing hook-line-and-sinker. Now what?

Funny....I havent voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate in over 20 years. The Liberals and the Conservatives are the same....both push their agendas, neither wants change nor works for it. And the Tea Party aint the answer either. Just another group pushing their agenda. The great presidents have been those who can reach across the aisle, and say "We are all Americans"

I agree, and Obama is THE MOST DIVISIVE president in the history of this nation! So, what are we going to do about it????

Growler1 said:
ordigger said:
Growler1 said:
ordigger said:
Sadly we no longer live by the Constitution in this country. Every day, our laws are changing based on lawyer, judges, advocates, etc interpretations of the the Constitution. The Bill of Rights are slowly going out the window, as personal freedoms and liberties are being taken away.

How many of our laws are not in the Constitution or Bill of Rights? I'll just start with one....the IRS....yep I see them in the Constitution. Exactly what the forefathers of this country fought against is now prevalent in our lives every day. Saw yesterday that NYC wants to prevent the sale of soft drinks over 16 oz to fight obesity. Even wearing your own seat belt is the beginning of the loss of our rights.

You think you vote for the best candidate? Ha, you vote for who the biggest money puts in front of you...our candidates in all parties are jokes now.

Yep, it would be nice if we still lived by the Constitution and Bill of Rights, but we dont....and a judge will decide it or worse yet a lawsuit. America land of the free...and the right to sue!

Your boy Barrack is the leader in creating a nanny state in America. You bought into the hope and change thing hook-line-and-sinker. Now what?

Funny....I havent voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate in over 20 years. The Liberals and the Conservatives are the same....both push their agendas, neither wants change nor works for it. And the Tea Party aint the answer either. Just another group pushing their agenda. The great presidents have been those who can reach across the aisle, and say "We are all Americans"

I agree, and Obama is THE MOST DIVISIVE president in the history of this nation! So, what are we going to do about it????

Thats a good question....

ordigger said:

Ahhh! The good old days!! Such a romantic thought. When we could green light slavery, count them as 3/5 a person, women couldn't vote and state assemblies could appoint our senators.

You are on to something there sir!!

George Wallace

Ursa Major said:
ordigger said:

Ahhh! The good old days!! Such a romantic thought. When we could green light slavery, count them as 3/5 a person, women couldn't vote and state assemblies could appoint our senators.

George Wallace

The George Wallace part sort of proves my point of view now. Take David Dukes, former KKK leader, and a very conservative Republican. Scary how close a liberal like Wallace, and a Conservative like Dukes were on the same wavelength. btw....those other transgressions by the Constitution have since been abolished via the Constitutional amendment process.

Can you imagine getting and Constitutional amendment through the process now? I say, we never have another one ever again unless things change drastically.

Ursa Major said:
ordigger said:

George Wallace

Typical liberal, bringing up one aspect of the past, as a example of how wonderful things are that we fixed that one issue.

I think you guys are making way too big of a deal out of the precise burden of proof in a hearing over student conduct, i.e., beyond a reasonable doubt versus clear and convincing versus preponderance of the evidence. The main thing is for the committee to listen to the known facts and make a reasonable decision that is not arbitrary, capricious or outright discriminatory.

Let’s be practical. Violations of a student conduct code should be dealt with fairly and somewhat consistently (I use the term “somewhat” because the facts in any two cases are never exactly the same), but nobody’s life, liberty or even property (except maybe in a very limited sense) is at stake, so these proceedings don’t need to drag on endlessly. So I don’t think it’s fair to say that “clear and convincing” is right and that “preponderance of the evidence” is wrong. Or that one is “constitutional” and the other is not.

Some process may be due here, but to suggest that the process has to resemble a criminal trial is a real stretch.

http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2098&context=ilj&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dis%2520due%2520process%2520required%2520to%2520take%2520away%2520an%2520athletic%2520scholarship%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CGYQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.repository.law.indiana.edu%252Fcgi%252Fviewcontent.cgi%253Farticle%253D2098%2526context%253Dilj%26ei%3D8zHJT5TBNq782gWrrJXbCw%26usg%3DAFQjCNE6ksxqwbq3APLt5PSNd4UN784hEA#search=%22due%20process%20required%20take%20away%20an%20athletic%20scholarship%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://laworgs.depaul.edu/journals/sports_law/Documents/NCAA%20eligibility%20by%20Bakker.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/shjsl3&div=8&g_sent=1&collection=journals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ordigger said:
Ursa Major said:
ordigger said:

George Wallace

The George Wallace part sort of proves my point of view now. Take David Dukes, former KKK leader, and a very conservative Republican. Scary how close a liberal like Wallace, and a Conservative like Dukes were on the same wavelength. btw....those other transgressions by the Constitution have since been abolished via the Constitutional amendment process.

Can you imagine getting and Constitutional amendment through the process now? I say, we never have another one ever again unless things change drastically.

Ordigger, I wouldn't consider GW a liberal by any stretch of the imagination especially in the context of today's politics. And that same amendment process gave the gov. the ability to have an income tax.

I was only trying to point out that some people (e.g. some strict construtionists) tend to romanticize the founding fathers and that period of time without being critical thinkers or realizing that time changes our world views and morals (13th amendment). BTW, I wasn't trying to paint you that way either. Just a commentary on romanticizing the past.

I agree with you about the amendment process in today's polorizered political landscape.

crackgina said:
grizfromhel said:
I think that there is another, more subtle, but potentially devastating, change going on here. In the past the practice has apparently been to let any criminal charges proceed, or be evaluated, before proceeding with charges under the student conduct code. The change, as I understand it, is that charges under the student conduct code are to proceed---- without regard to whether there may be criminal proceedings.

Harmless change?? Not at all. This puts the accused in a very awkward position if there is a hearing under the student conduct code, since any testimony that he would offer in the student proceeding could be parsed and held against him in a subsequent criminal proceeding. It kind of makes a joke out of his right to remain silent and make the state prove its case in a criminal proceeding.

The practical effect of this change is that any good attorney would advise his client to remain silent in the student proceeding if there was any chance that his testimony could be used in a later criminal proceeding. I have no knowledge but its possible that this is exactly what transpired in the student proceeding with Jordy Johnson, and that his attorney advised him not to testify in the student proceeding so of course he would be found guilty particularly by the lower standard of a "preponderance of the evidence."

Absolutely spot on analysis. No more 5th Amendment, due process or innocent until proven guilty, but no biggie right? We have the PC administrators to rely on....the same ones that think its fine to tip a Saudi off and let him flee.

Yes, very good point.

AllWeatherFan said:
I think you guys are making way too big of a deal out of the precise burden of proof in a hearing over student conduct, i.e., beyond a reasonable doubt versus clear and convincing versus preponderance of the evidence. The main thing is for the committee to listen to the known facts and make a reasonable decision that is not arbitrary, capricious or outright discriminatory.

Let’s be practical. Violations of a student conduct code should be dealt with fairly and somewhat consistently (I use the term “somewhat” because the facts in any two cases are never exactly the same), but nobody’s life, liberty or even property (except maybe in a very limited sense) is at stake, so these proceedings don’t need to drag on endlessly. So I don’t think it’s fair to say that “clear and convincing” is right and that “preponderance of the evidence” is wrong. Or that one is “constitutional” and the other is not.

Some process may be due here, but to suggest that the process has to resemble a criminal trial is a real stretch.

http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2098&context=ilj&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dis%2520due%2520process%2520required%2520to%2520take%2520away%2520an%2520athletic%2520scholarship%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CGYQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.repository.law.indiana.edu%252Fcgi%252Fviewcontent.cgi%253Farticle%253D2098%2526context%253Dilj%26ei%3D8zHJT5TBNq782gWrrJXbCw%26usg%3DAFQjCNE6ksxqwbq3APLt5PSNd4UN784hEA#search=%22due%20process%20required%20take%20away%20an%20athletic%20scholarship%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://laworgs.depaul.edu/journals/sports_law/Documents/NCAA%20eligibility%20by%20Bakker.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/shjsl3&div=8&g_sent=1&collection=journals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a huge difference between these standards. This is especially important when the underlying conduct is closer to criminal than to something like cheating. The preponderance standard is ridiculously low. Note that UM (and many schools) maintain the higher standard for everything except sexual assault/harassment. Huh? If anything, it ought to be the other way around. Note that the case law has developed more for things like cheating, and when the standard for sexual assault was higher. The case law will start to favor the student more now, especially in the sexual assault area. I believe the right federal judge will eventually throw out the preponderance standard for sexual assault.

PlayerRep said:
The case law will start to favor the student more now, especially in the sexual assault area. I believe the right federal judge will eventually throw out the preponderance standard for sexual assault.

That's my point. The school would not be out to prove "sexual assault," which is a criminal offense that potentially results in loss of liberty.

AllWeatherFan said:
PlayerRep said:
The case law will start to favor the student more now, especially in the sexual assault area. I believe the right federal judge will eventually throw out the preponderance standard for sexual assault.

That's my point. The school would not be out to prove "sexual assault," which is a criminal offense that potentially results in loss of liberty.

I guess I don't understand your point. My point is that courts are going to start to side more often with students over the university, who allege due process and other procedural and Constitutional violations in university proceedings that use the lower standard.

Are you saying that athletic scholarships constitute constitutionally protected property interests? If so, on what basis?

AllWeatherFan said:
Are you saying that athletic scholarships constitute constitutionally protected property interests? If so, on what basis?

I've never thought about that issue. I'm saying that students in a university are entitled to certain basic due process rights, largely due to the 14th amendment and state constitutional law. A university is part of state government, and state government can't avoid providing due process to citizens in various types of proceedings, including proceedings to expel a student.

Do you think a university or university president should be able to just expel a student without any hearing or any process? If not, then you must believe that some level of due process is necessary.

PlayerRep said:
Do you think a university or university president should be able to just expel a student without any hearing or any process? If not, then you must believe that some level of due process is necessary.

What does that have to do with a student board conducting a hearing that recommends expulsion?

I think kicking a kid out of school for sexual assault, or taking away his scholarship for sexual assault, is different than imprisoning him for it. And I think that kicking him out or jerking his scholarship based on a preponderance of evidence, rather than clear and convincing evidence, isn't the same as denying him due process. But we'll see where the facts lead.

NorthwestFresh said:
PlayerRep said:

What does that have to do with a student board conducting a hearing that recommends expulsion?

It means that a university board has to provide certain basic due process rights. There's considerable federal case law requiring that. The more serious the consequence, the more due process that is required. This is a developing area of the law.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess I don't understand your point. My point is that courts are going to start to side more often with students over the university, who allege due process and other procedural and Constitutional violations in university proceedings that use the lower standard.

The courts have long recognized the differing interests of the University community from that of the criminal justice process. Since 1961, a significant body of case law has been established that outlines basic expectations of fairness in any student disciplinary process.

I don't think you are going to see a lot of change: Osteen v. Henley (1993, 7th Circuit)

"…The attempted analogy of student discipline to criminal proceedings against juveniles and adults is not sound. The nature and proceedings of the (campus) disciplinary process…should not be required to conform to federal processes of criminal law, which are far from perfect, and designed for circumstances and ends unrelated to the academic community. By a judicial mandate to impose on the academic community and student discipline the intricate, time-consuming, sophisticated procedures, rules, and safeguards of criminal law would frustrate the teaching process and render the institutional control impotent…"

Yeah I know its old, but whats newer? Btw the standard in question at this time was: "Decisions with respect to student responsibility for alleged actions are made based on a preponderance of the evidence; that is, the hearing panel or adjudicator will determine what is "more likely than not" to have taken place."

Maybe it will change , but it hasn't yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back