• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Way Too Early 2017 Big Sky Power Poll

UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:
Good point on being position to win. Under Hauck, the team and the fans always thought they could and would find a way to win.
With current coaches that seem ambivalent about motivating the team, or even antithetical to it (Niekamp), it is useful to recall what motivated teams can do.
In 2009, the last time the Grizzlies and Jackrabbits met, Montana trailed by 27 points, 48-21, with 5:40 left in the third quarter of another first-round playoff game in Missoula. Sparked by a Marc Mariani kickoff return touchdown, the Griz stormed back with 41 unanswered points in perhaps the greatest comeback victory in program history.

The only one that might rival it: Montana's 52-48 thriller back in 1993 when UM scored an FCS-record 39 fourth-quarter points at home. That day's opponent just happened to be South Dakota State too.
In those days, the coaches did not publicly blame the teams for lack of "fire."

In each of those games, the come back was started by exceptional athletes taking charge and motivating the team by their play on the field. I was at those games and both times the players' excitement motivated the coaches, not the other way. I believe motivation is best when a collaboration between coaches and captains, and I trust Stitt will find a way to fix this with this, primarily his recruited team. Watch Mystery Alaska if you don't know what I mean.

horribilisfan8184 said:
UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:
Good point on being position to win. Under Hauck, the team and the fans always thought they could and would find a way to win.
With current coaches that seem ambivalent about motivating the team, or even antithetical to it (Niekamp), it is useful to recall what motivated teams can do.
In 2009, the last time the Grizzlies and Jackrabbits met, Montana trailed by 27 points, 48-21, with 5:40 left in the third quarter of another first-round playoff game in Missoula. Sparked by a Marc Mariani kickoff return touchdown, the Griz stormed back with 41 unanswered points in perhaps the greatest comeback victory in program history.

The only one that might rival it: Montana's 52-48 thriller back in 1993 when UM scored an FCS-record 39 fourth-quarter points at home. That day's opponent just happened to be South Dakota State too.
In those days, the coaches did not publicly blame the teams for lack of "fire."

In each of those games, the come back was started by exceptional athletes taking charge and motivating the team by their play on the field. I was at those games and both times the players' excitement motivated the coaches, not the other way. I believe motivation is best when a collaboration between coaches and captains, and I trust Stitt will find a way to fix this with this, primarily his recruited team. Watch Mystery Alaska if you don't know what I mean.

While motivation can come from coaches during games, e.g. a little comment to a qb or receiver or a TG to his unit on the sideline or a half time talk, my view is that most coaching motivation comes from the coaches before the game, in terms of long term and weekly preparation combined with some aspects of particular motivation for the particular game during the week. It's important to avoid being flat at the start of a game, and it's important to have the confidence and desire to be able to fight off adversity and always believe you can and will come back and win.

Note that Mariani's initial electrifying kickoff return against SDS would not have occurred if the coaches hadn't inserted him. He wasn't our regular kickoff returner, is my recolletion.

I agree that Mariani excited the team and the crowd, but I don't agree that he motivated the coaches. That seems like a silly comment to me.

It was interesting to note on social media, that for Mick Delaney's last game against the Cats, several of the players were commenting that they were going to wreck the Cats as a tribute to Mick. There was obviously a motivation there independent of individual speeches, pats on the back, or game interaction. Motivation came from the personality of the coach himself.

I don't know how the Cats will be next year. I think we are moving in the right direction but I don't think we are quite there yet. We still need help on the DL. The good news is that we played a TON of young guys this year, lots of freshman got significant playing time. We took our lumps because of it but you could kind of see it coming together in the last 2 games. It seems Messingham (our OC) finally devised some gameplans that utilize what we did well on offense and stopped trying to do things we just didn't have the personnel to do. That kind of offense will likely not be sustainable but then again, I really liked the 3 back look we ran last year, and we have the hogs to do it again this. Murray is a very dangerous runner and started making better decisions and holding onto the football in the last 3 or so games. LaSane has been in the program and you saw what he is capable of on his long run against the Griz. He is a stud but his vision has always needed to improve, and he finally started running with some patience this year. We are bringing in a JC kid who looks good on paper and on film but you never know there. Then we have some bigger Newell-type backs in Noah James and Sean Opland, but also have small scat guys in Logan Jones and Anthony Pegeus.

I'm more concerned about our passing game, obviously. Murray needs to grow leaps and bounds in the department. He doesn't have to be a Vernon Adams but he needs to be at least that kid from Cal Poly from a few years ago who could complete a few passes if necessary. Our WRs disappointed me this year, guys who had produced last year just didn't show up this year. Part of that was poor passing, but they just couldn't get open and dropped some balls.

Defense should see improvement, they were very young last year and some young guys started making plays.

The single biggest problem for the Cats was turnovers, and lack of creating them. We were like -18 or something ridiculous in conference play. We win 2-3 more games if we don't turn the ball over 4 times.

CatzWillRise said:
I don't know how the Cats will be next year. I think we are moving in the right direction but I don't think we are quite there yet. We still need help on the DL. The good news is that we played a TON of young guys this year, lots of freshman got significant playing time. We took our lumps because of it but you could kind of see it coming together in the last 2 games.

On eGriz those players NEVER get better. They're as good as they're going to get... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back