• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Way Too Early 2017 Big Sky Power Poll

getgrizzy said:
1. UND - solid all the way around.
2. WSU - QB is gone, but the rest of the team will be better. Good coaches.
3. msu - returns or adequately replaces practically everyone. Good coaches.
4. EWU - losses of the WRs will hurt, but they'll still be good.
5. Poly - always going to lose a couple unexpected games due to wrong offense for this conference.
6. NAU - never seems to get it all together.
7. SUU - could finish much higher.
8. UNC - not sold on these guys yet.
9. PSU - flash in the pan.
10. UM - we will probably finish with a losing record at home in 2017.
11. UCD - one of these years they're going to get good.
12. SAC - the yo-yo team of the BSC.
13. ISU - their players will quit on Kramer in 2017.

The top three teams all play a winning style of football and EWU plays its style well. The rest will do neither of those things.
Speaking of overindulging, it appears that GetGrizzly needs to contact his sponsor.

Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:
5. Poly - always going to lose a couple unexpected games due to wrong offense for this conference.

The top three teams all play a winning style of football and EWU plays its style well. The rest will do neither of those things.
Speaking of overindulging, it appears that GetGrizzly needs to contact his sponsor.
The more teams that evolve into being efficient like the top three are doing, the more problems teams that don't control the clock will have.

getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

The more teams that evolve into being efficient like the top three are doing, the more problems teams that don't control the clock will have.
The cats #3 . . .

PNvedylM0tgGY.gif

1. EWU they will reload.* playoffs
2. UND they have something good going.* playoffs
3.Poly great schedule and good team * playoffs
4.Nau great QB should make noise
5. weber st can they take the next step?
6. Msu how much player movement in off season? they will be back
7. Montana QB? O-line? Defensive strategy?? How good will the young bucks be? How much improvement from sophmores ?
8. UNC
9. Suu not sure what to expect?
10. psu will barney ball work?
11. UCD new coach?
12.Isu can't seem to get of the ground.
13. sac st. some one has to be last.

only three playoff teams. after such strong showing this year :roll: may only get three!

Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

The cats #3 . . .

PNvedylM0tgGY.gif

I'm not knocking anyone's picks, unlike someone else. LOL. BUT, Grizzy, By picking the Cats third you're saying they will win at least two of their tough trio of road games at EWU, UND and NAU. So just curious, which of those two do you see them beating?

I have to refrain from picking because I'm really bad at it and I keep having these totally irrational thoughts that if I favor a team it becomes the death knell for them. My wife has tried to explain to me for years that whom I favor has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game but I continue to harbor the thought. I will make a couple of observations:

1. It seems that last season has brought about a more healthy attitude about expectations for next season. Depends on what you consider the middle of the pack but most predictions appear to be in the 4 through 8 category. We all hope for better and I don't see anybody predicting total collapse so realism appears to be the winner in the "way to early" poll.

2. Secondly I might venture that the next Big Sky team that moves far into the playoffs will actually make a shut-down defense a priority, an efficient but not genius offense to complement . I thought EWU was improving at the end of the season but a championship team needs to make a stop and at then end and they couldn't do it. I do see an effort a little to the South that puts some emphasis on defense and I think that could be successful up to a point. I would hope we can counter but based on the defense, or lack of it, at the end of the season, there is some work to do to be adequate and a ton of work to be shut-down.

The difference in many of EWU's wins, even against MSU, were those receivers. They have a lot of question marks on defense and on the OL. Maybe Baldwin has them playing at as high of a level as this year, but I don't see it. It is kind of a crap shoot for next year. UND will more than likely be the pre-season favorites.

Like last season I will be putting my team choices into tiers to as I feel any of these teams could finish anywhere in their respective ones.

TIER 1:
-North Dakota
-EWU
-NAU

TIER 2:
-Montana
-Weber State
-SUU
-Montana State

TIER 3:
-Cal Poly
-Northern Colorado

TIER 4:
-ISU
-PSU
-UCD
-Sac State

To quote your newly minted President "WRONG"

The correct order is;

GRIZ
UND
NAU
EWU
Cal Poly
Weber State
NCU
PSU
ISU
UCD
Sac State
MSU

And by the by, interesting selection for President, kind of a funky vibe off this cat, not really sure where he's coming from yet.

UTGrizFan said:
Like last season I will be putting my team choices into tiers to as I feel any of these teams could finish anywhere in their respective ones.

TIER 1:
-North Dakota
-EWU
-NAU

TIER 2:
-Montana
-Weber State
-SUU
-Montana State

TIER 3:
-Cal Poly
-Northern Colorado

TIER 4:
-ISU
-PSU
-UCD
-Sac State
Cal Poly will end the season in either the #1 or #2 tier just like they have 4 out of the 5 years they have played in the Big Sky. It helps that we do not play UND or EWU and get NAU at home from your tier 1 teams. It hurts that we do not get to play Montana and Montana State from your tier 2 teams because I do not think either is going to finish that high.

A few things:
1. I don't understand the MSU picks. It's likely they start 0-4 and 0-2 in conference. All tough games are on the road except for Montana.
2. NAU's offense returns 8 guys and they only play two tough games on the road (at Montana, and at Cal Poly -- though I'm not sure how good Cal Poly actually will be)
3. Though I'm not sure how good Cal Poly is, that is the easiest schedule a Big Sky team could play. No EWU, UM, MSU or UND. They just have to be a mediocre team and adjust well enough under new coordinators to finish int he top 3.
4. I'm the worst predictor of all time

SloStang said:
UTGrizFan said:

TIER 1:
-North Dakota
-EWU
-NAU

TIER 2:
-Montana
-Weber State
-SUU
-Montana State

TIER 3:
-Cal Poly
-Northern Colorado

TIER 4:
-ISU
-PSU
-UCD
-Sac State
Cal Poly will end the season in either the #1 or #2 tier just like they have 4 out of the 5 years they have played in the Big Sky. It helps that we do not play UND or EWU and get NAU at home from your tier 1 teams. It hurts that we do not get to play Montana and Montana State from your tier 2 teams because I do not think either is going to finish that high.

I agree. Putting the Griz in "TIER 2" has no logical backing right now. How soon we forget...

George Ferguson said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:
Ursa Major said:
The cats #3 . . .

PNvedylM0tgGY.gif

I'm not knocking anyone's picks, unlike someone else. LOL. BUT, Grizzy, By picking the Cats third you're saying they will win at least two of their tough trio of road games at EWU, UND and NAU. So just curious, which of those two do you see them beating?
EWU and NAU. They could lose two of those three games and still finish third, so I'm not sure why you're framing your question that way.

kyle_sample said:
A few things:
1. I don't understand the MSU picks. It's likely they start 0-4 and 0-2 in conference. All tough games are on the road except for Montana.

Teams that can run the ball at will and that have good defenses win a lot. It's the No. 1 formula for winning in football. The sCats can do that unfortunately. So can UND and WSU.

The Cats almost beat UND this year. 15-17 loss. Cats went for 2 near end of game and didn't make it. Cats threw 3 picks. No turnovers by UND. Cats out gained UND 400 to 348.

PlayerRep said:
The Cats almost beat UND this year. 15-17 loss. Cats went for 2 near end of game and didn't make it. Cats threw 3 picks. No turnovers by UND. Cats out gained UND 400 to 348.
Correct, the sCats had a lot of close losses this year. Deceptive w/l record. If Stitt thought we were a 8-3, 9-2 team, I wonder what he thought the sCats were?

kyle_sample said:
A few things:
2. NAU's offense returns 8 guys and they only play two tough games on the road (at Montana, and at Cal Poly -- though I'm not sure how good Cal Poly actually will be)
3. Though I'm not sure how good Cal Poly is, that is the easiest schedule a Big Sky team could play. No EWU, UM, MSU or UND. They just have to be a mediocre team and adjust well enough under new coordinators to finish int he top 3.
4. I'm the worst predictor of all time
I only see the one pick of MSU finishing up high. I think my pick was the next highest at 6th. But this past season, a 4-4 conference record was 6th place. I agree that an 0-4/0-2 start could happen. But then they'd have to finish 4-2 the rest of the way. That'd be likely wins over PSU and ISU, and then split with NAU, UM, No. Col, and EWU. It is realistic - looking at the trajectory of where things were heading as the season went on. And if they happen to sneak out a win between either UND or Weber, then it is very realistic. A bad MSU team played very tough against a good UND team this season. A good MSU defense should keep them in most games.

Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

My tech guy tells me this submission comes from a computer @ the EG wing of 12101 Ambaum Blvd. SW in Seattle. How that matters is unclear to me. Happy holidays - my new supplier* peach vodka has come through.

* NOB - not a bastard.

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
getgrizzy said:

My tech guy tells me this submission comes from a computer @ the EG wing of 12101 Ambaum Blvd. SW in Seattle. How that matters is unclear to me. Happy holidays - my new supplier of peach vodka has come through.
HAHAHA!!! Consuela told me to tell you Cheers!

Back