• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. PSU (Saturday 2/18)

rainbear14 said:
Gave credit to video production crew and then they have the clock stuck on 1:09 for minutes near the end of the game! Schools production are as bad as the refs..I think I have figured out why team struggles. In this -hit conf the refs are so whistle happy that no one can get into any flow--all games end up close and free throw contests but a win is a win and now on to the Cats...

Does NAU just get competent LDS students? How do they pull it off? Are the UM kids using or playing grab ass? It's this way every year. What's the difference?

Ursa Major said:
rainbear14 said:
Gave credit to video production crew and then they have the clock stuck on 1:09 for minutes near the end of the game! Schools production are as bad as the refs..I think I have figured out why team struggles. In this -hit conf the refs are so whistle happy that no one can get into any flow--all games end up close and free throw contests but a win is a win and now on to the Cats...

Does NAU just get competent LDS students? How do they pull it off? Are the UM kids using or playing grab ass? It's this way every year. What's the difference?

They decided years ago to focus on what the students could do NOW and worked from that. They spent money, hired the best they could, and made a competition for excellence. They earned the Emmy....And, isn't this one of the "directional schools" spoken of here so often? NAU is a very good state school with a growing reputation within Arizona and the SW...That is what a good president and administration can do.

GrizLA said:
NAU is a very good state school with a growing reputation within Arizona and the SW...That is what a good president and administration can do.
It is a positive example of a culture of success, as opposed to a culture of failure, initiated at UM when Engstrom announced, publicly, we had a problem and made a public spectacle out of it, when, in fact, we didn't.

A friend of one of my kids chose to go to NAU, he's now graduating, and I am pretty impressed with what I've seen there the past four years.

Griz hold off Portland State, move into tie for 4th
http://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-hold-off-portland-state-move-into-tie-for-4th/

Glad that I got to attend this game. The terrible officiating, combined with the GRIZ letting PSU back into the game, almost gave me a heart attack. Not sure why Pridgett did not play. He looked great, physically in warmups. Rorie had a terrific game on both ends of the court. He was playing much more intense defense than of late. The tech called on him was complete BS. I have a feeling, Travis pounded it into his head to just be himself on the court. He played with a lot more emotion, like at the beginning of the season. The ball movement and passing was terrific in the 1st half. I think the GRIZ had 14 1st half assists. Oguine, Rorie and Wright were all looking for their teammates, for better shots. Krslovic passed the ball well, too.

It was great to see Moorehead find his offensive game again. He hit a clutch 3 down the stretch and took the ball to the hole a few times, as well. I watched him a lot in pregame, to get an idea why his shot is so inconsistent this season. I actually figured it out too. His footwork during his shot throws his balance off. He sets up and squares up just fine. The problem is, his feet go from being shoulder width apart when he starts his shot, to being close together while he is in the air. His feet often touch one another. Call it nit picky, but that throws off his balance upon release. Last season, either he did not have that problem, or his shooting was consistent enough, that I did not look for his mechanical flaws. I am very confident, when he eliminates this in his jumpshot, he will find much more consistency. He needs to keep those feet apart from start to finish, every shot. Thing is, this can be a quick fix too. At worse, it should become a focus in his off season.

The more I watch Samuelson, the more impressed I am with this kid. His ability to find holes in a defense without the ball, is terrific. He has great hands and finishes as strong as any GRIZ, and can be counted on to hit FT's at around 75% as well. He will be handful when he puts on more weight and muscle. He gets by now on sheer guts, determination, and smarts at this stage. I hope he is not lost in the shuffle next season, when the GRIZ add Anderson, Akoh, Dorsey, and Nicholas to the Forward equation.

I am hoping, the GRIZ can win 2 out of 3 on the road to close the season. A road sweep will be difficult, considering Weber State is always tough, and MSU is solid this season. As for the ISU game, not sure what to expect.

Nice W for the GRIZ, and terrific crowd against PSU. #gogriz

I forgot to mention, I was absolutely amazed with the Wright family. That amount of people to trek across the nation for Walter's SR night will forever be a memory for this GRIZ fan. I can honestly say, I've never been so touched by a SR night moment than what the Wright's did for Walter. I am not sure who the younger kids were, but I could tell, they really look up to and respect Walter. My personal thanks to the Wrights for their efforts and support for Walter, it moved this GRIZ fan.

mtgrizrule said:
...The more I watch Samuelson, the more impressed I am with this kid. His ability to find holes in a defense without the ball, is terrific. He has great hands and finishes as strong as any GRIZ, and can be counted on to hit FT's at around 75% as well. He will be handful when he puts on more weight and muscle. He gets by now on sheer guts, determination, and smarts at this stage. I hope he is not lost in the shuffle next season, when the GRIZ add Anderson, Akoh, Dorsey, and Nicholas to the Forward equation.MMM

Sounds like Andrew Straight 2.0.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
...The more I watch Samuelson, the more impressed I am with this kid. His ability to find holes in a defense without the ball, is terrific. He has great hands and finishes as strong as any GRIZ, and can be counted on to hit FT's at around 75% as well. He will be handful when he puts on more weight and muscle. He gets by now on sheer guts, determination, and smarts at this stage. I hope he is not lost in the shuffle next season, when the GRIZ add Anderson, Akoh, Dorsey, and Nicholas to the Forward equation.MMM

Sounds like Andrew Straight 2.0.

I used that comparison, the 1st time I saw Samuelson play. He is more aggressive going to the basket than Strait, and likely going to be a better FT shooter. This kid is a diamond in the rough. I really like what he brings to the program.

Back