• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. Sac St. (Thurs 2/16)

Homered at home. I thought the bsc (small letters) was using a pool of refs that would be a upgrade this year. What happened?

HelenaHandBasket said:
griznative24 said:
Griz2k said:
Swept by suc state. This team kills me.

It sucks this team got swept by suck st, but they don't have any bigs so they are not going to win the majority of their games. What kills me is that I have to sit and watch these games with refs that should be demoted to middle school B team basketball, and add to the fact that this team has talent and loses because the lack of inside play...

I think they lack that "go to" type of guy that several of the other teams in the BSC have.

I can agree that. Although I think that guy is on the team. As with all things GRIZ in this day and age, Next Year!

Listening to KGVO on a stream. Waited 45 min. and no Decuire. KGVO GAVE UP! No post game interview. I would not want to be in that locker room :cry:

HookedonGriz said:
Griz2k said:
HookedonGriz said:
Rorie needs to hit those free throws. I'm 40 damn years old, haven't shot the rock for years, went to the gym with my kid and knocked down 8-10. How do these dudes miss so many FREE throws.

I to can hit them at my local gym. Not sure how I'd fare with the game on the line after having played my guts out for 40 minutes.

Valid point. But an 85% FT shooter misses both with game on line. Come on.

Agreed. Gotta hit'em.

Tough loss. I thought the guys competed well and played hard, especially on D, but just didn't get it done. SS was much better than I expected. Our guys were out-manned in the paint, especially when Kyrslovic was in foul trouble, which was much of the last 10 or 12 minutes. Their paint guys were big and strong. 3 had a great game, and was super in the second half. We didn't hit our free throws, especially down the stretch, but SS was worse. SS didn't make a 3. GFeller got a pretty good look at the end, which would have been for the win.

Too many turnovers by the Griz, especially in the first half. To SS's credit, they had quick hands, deflected alot of passes and hit it out of our hands. Rorie just wasn't himself. Too bad Moorehead didn't get his nice look from the corner, which is when Krylovic fouled out with the reach over the back. I was fine with that call. Could have not been called tho, but often is.

Griz were up 7 when Travis got his T. The ref had missed a horrible palming by SS right in front of him. Travis jumped up, presumably yelled, and moved up the sidelines a bit. The ref whirled and gave him the T. Later, the ref tried to point to mid-court or further up the court, seeming to indicate that Travis was way too far up court. He was over the line, but not near mid-court. Horrible calls by that ref, which gave SS a 4 point turnaround, which could have been 5.

2 of the 3 refs, the dark-skinned guy who gave Travis the T and the taller white guy make some very bad calls. The other guy was fine or even good. This was the worst that I've seen the crowd get on the refs and boo, but I missed the Weber game, which apparently had horrible reffing.

The guys hustled, defended pretty well, and played hard. They made a lot of nice plays. While the loss is disappointing, I'm not down on the guys for this one. They were close. Just needed a couple more plays. More free throws. A stop or two.

The cheer squad put on incredible aerial show at halftime. Very impressive.

A bunch of Wright's family was there. From Connecticut. They paper said they had never seen him play. One young kid from what I assume was their group got to compete in one of the timeout events with Monte and a few other kids. He was cute. When he walked by us, he looked a bit like Walter. After the game, the kid dribbled with both hands and shot layups. He looked very young and was small, but that kid is going to be another Walter. I like Walter Wright, altho I don't know him. Glad he's a Griz. Seems like a class guy, and great player.

I hope the Griz catch fire. I think they have the potential. They have talent. They have depth. They play very hard. They are unselfish. They deserve to catch fire.

Over 4,000 at the game. Pretty good crowd. Refs were catching grief from all 4 sides of the gym.

PlayerRep said:
I hope the Griz catch fire. I think they have the potential. They have talent. They have depth. They play very hard. They are unselfish. They deserve to catch fire.

Over 4,000 at the game. Pretty good crowd. Refs were catching grief from all 4 sides of the gym.
Frustrating to see. The talent is there. Odd to say in that context, I think the coaching is there. It does now seem that the team just lacks the key positions: an infantry without artillery support. [Do not take the metaphor too literally].

I listened to the game, while I was working. The lack of a consistent inside game, and disappointing 3 point shooting have absolutely killed this team. Not much this team can do about post depth. However, the talent is there to have a great 3 point shooting team. Unfortunately, as a whole, the better shooters just are not getting the job done.

The only consistent offense the GRIZ can rely on every game are the guards penetrating. By the sounds of it, the GRIZ were not taking the ball to the ball very well in the 1st half. That is so unlike this team. Also way too many turnovers, and terrible FT shooting.

After the game, I was really looking forward to DeCuire's post game interview. It never came. I have a feeling he was too upset at his team and/or questionable officiating to risk doing a post game interview. I am sure he chewed a lot of ass, and there may have been quite a few "Come to Jesus" talks among the players and coaches.

I cannot wait for Saturday's game against Portland State. It will be interesting to see how focused this team is, and the intensity level they will play with. #playuptoyourpotential

maroonandsilver said:
So much for the theory that playing an incredibly tough preseason prepares you a late season conference run.

Looks that way for this year but I would still do it again, short term pain but long term gain.

but that short term pain does hurt, agreed.

HookedonGriz said:
Rorie needs to hit those free throws. I'm 40 damn years old, haven't shot the rock for years, went to the gym with my kid and knocked down 8-10. How do these dudes miss so many FREE throws.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA[/youtube]

Always my favorite moment on here waiting for the chorus to begin singing about how some guy has “got to hit those” free throws after a game like this … I never fail to find that so, you know, meaningful and insightful.

Fat Bruno said:
Always my favorite moment on here waiting for the chorus to begin singing about how some guy has “got to hit those” free throws after a game like this … I never fail to find that so, you know, meaningful and insightful.

It is true, players have to hit FT's, regardless of when they are shot during a game. Most coaches expect their players to hit FT's at 75% plus. In this case, Rorie would even admit, he has to hit those FT's. I guarantee, Rorie is kicking himself hard for missing those FT's, as he should. Fortunately, the GRIZ have quite a few solid or better FT shooters, which can be expected to nail those FT's. Unfortunately, the GRIZ have been bitten in the ass a few times this season with missed FT's down the clutch, that could have sealed GRIZ W's.

Fat Bruno said:

It is a true statement in basketball that you usually win if you hit you FT's.

Hell I am glad I wasn't at the line.

fanofzoo said:
Fat Bruno said:

It is a true statement in basketball that you usually win if you hit you FT's.

Usually, but Sacramento state missed more free throws than Montana made and won.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

fanofzoo said:
Fat Bruno said:
It is a true statement in basketball that you usually win if you hit your FT's.

Whenever I see a foul-shooting discussion, I recall that Rick Barry could (probably still can) hit 20-30-40 free throws in a row blindfolded -- with his "un-manly" underhanded method. Sure, no real pressure in that. But, for his entire NBA career, he made 90% of his foul shots ... something even the best NBA players can only dream of for their best day. To do that, he had a lot of games where he never missed at the foul line. "It ain't rocket science!"

Also, in the game in question, the refs called 43 fouls. Neither team shot worth a damn from the line, but Sac hit 15 of 28 tries (53.6%), while the Griz hit 9 of 17 (52.9) ... if the Griz hit just 12 of 17 (a not-great 70.5%), they win the damn game.

I blame coaching, for had they known clearly that they “have to hit those,” then sure as my ass causes a very localized eclipse of the moon as I kneel beside my bed for nightly prayers, they would not have failed us.

Fat Bruno said:
I blame coaching, for had they known clearly that they “have to hit those,” then sure as my ass causes a very localized eclipse of the moon as I kneel beside my bed for nightly prayers, they would not have failed us.

For once, you might be right. Good for you.

Really, it all boils down to the boys not fully understanding that you "have to hit" those three pointers ... and those layups ... and those mid-range jumpers. Someone should just tell them.

Fat Bruno said:
Really, it all boils down to the boys not fully understanding that you "have to hit" those three pointers ... and those layups ... and those mid-range jumpers. Someone should just tell them.

And throws.

Back