• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. Weber St. (Saturday)

Good thing it really doesn't mean shit in this fucked up conference we're stuck in. First five teams get byes in fucking reno, so.....

EverettGriz said:
Get us the eff OUT of this bullshit conference. This team, this university, and we fans deserve better.

Didn't the Big Sky join that western conference reffing consortium last year?

WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:
Get us the eff OUT of this bullshit conference. This team, this university, and we fans deserve better.

Didn't the Big Sky join that western conference reffing consortium last year?

Allegedly. but i havent seen anyone other than the same ol tired awful faces.

fanofzoo said:
reno, them's fighting word's men.

I'm just amazed how many fans take the shit the bsc shovels sitting down.

Montana deserves better. Hell, even noco and sac deserve better, and they're DI in name only.

griznative24 said:
Wow these refs are awful...

And yet we had the best FT shooter in the BSC at the line, shooting two, down 1, with 2 seconds to go....for the win....and he couldn't deliver. That game should have been won in spite of the reffing.

AZGrizFan said:
griznative24 said:

And yet we had the best FT shooter in the BSC at the line, shooting two, down 1, with 2 seconds to go....for the win....and he couldn't deliver. That game should have been won in spite of the reffing.

Yes it should have. And I think Montana is the better team, although obviously weber is damn good.

And please note: my contention here is not that officiating cost the GRIZ the game. It didn't. But that's precisely my point: we shouldn't use "well, the officiating was god awful for both teams" as a defense and go along our merry way. This conference sucks in soooooo many ways that it's almost prohibitive to list them here. But until they do something about the 7th grade girls church-league level officiating, I will continue to rail about it. This is a division ONE conference, for crying out loud, and we have to put up with that kind of shit E V E R Y S I N G L E G A M E.

Don't you think at some point we as fans should stand up and say, "You know what, bsc brass, this is complete and total bullshit. What's you plan for fixing it"?

AZGrizFan said:
griznative24 said:

Tragic he didn’t come through for you, there. I understand how much he owed it to you. See, even if someone hits 90%, they still miss 10%, and those can come at anytime. You don’t get to choose which ones go in and which don’t, even though you’re trying just as hard in either case. On the other hand, if he hadn’t hit so many of his earlier shots, we wouldn’t have been in place to win at all, and you wouldn’t have had reason to cry as hard, so I guess it was just all about timing.

The problem with officiating is that there are only so many professional refs in the entire US of A who can call a game better than the fans in the bleachers -- with only slight exaggeration -- and those go to the bigger conferences. So, you can complain all you want, but if they don't exist, they don't exist. I suppose the NCAA could start a drive to recruit and train an army of them, and weed out the unfit, but I can't imagine that happening. The best you can hope for is evenly bad officiating as opposed to plain corrupt crap like we saw in the Washington game a few years ago.

UM was given a golden opportunity to win this game and failed. Now, they have two extremely tough road games coming up which will determine a lot more than this game did. Idaho is never a pushover for UM and EWU is looking pretty solid.

Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
griznative24 said:

Tragic he didn’t come through for you, there. I understand how much he owed it to you. See, even if someone hits 90%, they still miss 10%, and those can come at anytime. You don’t get to choose which ones go in and which don’t, even though you’re trying just as hard in either case. On the other hand, if he hadn’t hit so many of his earlier shots, we wouldn’t have been in place to win at all, and you wouldn’t have had reason to cry as hard, so I guess it was just all about timing.

Jesus H. Christ you're a retard. Go away.

I don't know that it was "given" to us (clearly Wright was fouled in the act of shooting), but when you have a 90% free-throw shooter on the line with two seconds to go and two shots to win the game, I would describe that as a "golden" opportunity.

But the bigger problem was, with both Krslovic and Samuleson in foul trouble, before fouling out altogether, Montana had no bona fide bigs out there, while Weber had two or three. It was like we played the last part of regulation and all of the overtime with half a team. We all agree: That half is damned good. Let's also agree: They're guards and wing players. Ya need height and muscle to win at basketball. I'm sure DeCuire didn't plan it this way. He didn't expect Anderson to need a medical year. And he couldn't control the fact that the best two bigs he could probably get, Akoh and Dorsey, had to sit out a year. So be it.

That last shot reminded me of the dagger Kyrie Irving made to beat the Warriors last year. Well-defended, but dead center. And absolutely clutch. But the Warriors got a consolation prize: Kevin Durant. And the Griz will get a consolation prize next year too: No Senglin, and plenty of help in the paint.

Finally, the mystery man of the year to me is Bobby Moorehead. Sophomore slump? Must be. He has so much promise, but just seems tentative, hesitant to take shots this year. As if he always wants to defer to somebody else. I continue to think Moorehead will blossom before he graduates. Hopefully, by playoff time. He could be a great additional weapon for us.

Frustrating loss as we need to win these games at home. Overall team played well but we had a couple of miscues down the stretch that teams who are ready to compete in the NCAA cant have. A missed free throw to essentially win the game, at least one really poor shot selection in the clutch time and I thInk we missed an essentially uncontested lay up (not totally sure if I am remembering this play correctly). In any case teams ready to play on the NCAA may have one or none of these miscues but certainly not all of them at the end of the game.

On a positive note I felt we were in control of this game until the end and each time Weber made a run we answered. The reason we didnt answer at the end may have been foul trouble for our big guys and certainly had to do with miscues above but also some credit has to be given to Senglin who took the responsiblity to win or lose the game for his team in the clutch and hit some tough shots when needed. Just what our team didn't do. I still think we have the potential to dominate this conference even though given the current format we dont have to. We just have to win the conference tourney. I hope our team is motivated to do so as I think the talent is there.

AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
griznative24 said:

I knew I had a fat one when I saw your guns to spoons analogy -- very deep. It's the kind of astute analysis you carry over so well into your insights on why we lost the game.

Well, the Griz outplayed the Weebs for 90% of the game; a couple of bad breaks at the end, a bit of breakdown, forced shots, bad FT miss. I'm a big fan of the final score when it says "Griz," but the Griz played a very good game, good coordination, great ball control, great passing game.

Moorehead. Yes, seems to be deer in headlights this year. I don't get to the FH for a few more weeks, I wonder what Travis is doing to work with him?

Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:
AZGrizFan said:

I knew I had a fat one when I saw your guns to spoons analogy -- very deep. It's the kind of astute analysis you carry over so well into your insights on why we lost the game.

Brilliant. Fucking moron....

Fortunately, got to attend the game with my brother and girlfriend. Question to U of M, Why are the ticket prices so damn high? $11 general admission, $23 for 2nd level seats, $55 for courtside, and no option to purchase sideline 1st level, WTF? No wonder attendance is struggling, those prices are hard to justify the casual fans to attend more games.

As for the game, every loss is a tough one, but even worse to lose when the team played so well. Credit to Weber State, they played terrific too. I doubt I've ever witnessed a team only having 1 turnover for an entire game, let alone with overtime. To add to that, the GRIZ shot over 50% from 3 pt land. I doubt teams lose very often with that kind of shooting and taking care of the ball. Honestly to God, those are the kind of numbers coaches want to see from their offense every game. Travis has to be extremely please with the offensive execution. Hard to believe, the GRIZ lost. However, Weber State also shot well, and only had 4 or 5 turnovers, as well.

I loved how well each team executed their offensive strategies throughout the game, especially the last 5 minutes of regulation, then overtime. The GRIZ quickness at guard and ball handling was amazing. Weber State guards could not stay with Rorie, Wright, and Oguine off the dribble. Meanwhile, the GRIZ guards could not stop Weber State's guards from getting and making 3 after 3. It was fun to watch Rorie, Wright, and Senglin all want the ball down stretch and answer one another with baskets. Senglin has NBA level scoring ability. Rorie is growing into an NBA level talent as well. He is becoming terrific on both ends of the court, and is very athletic. If and when Oguine finds his scoring again and becomes consistent, he has the athleticism to possibly make it too. It is impossible to project Big Sky guards at the next level, but the conference is as talented as ever at guard. I enjoy watching these guards every bit as much as I did Lillard and Stuckey.

Before the season started, I thought the GRIZ would be around 9-7/10-6 in the conference. After weekend 1 of conference play, I feel 11-5 or 12-4 might be more accurate. Keep in mind, Oguine should be rounding into form with consistent offense within the next few weeks. That will be huge for the GRIZ. Speaking of personnel, I was surprised that DeCuire did not have Gfeller on the court much in the closing minutes. I thought Gfeller's shooting was terrific and he was making defensive plays. I felt Gfeller should have been utilized more in the 2nd half. I hope the coaches will see how well Gfeller played when they break down the game. Also, hope they get Wright back to looking to create more for his teammates. I love him looking to score, but he forced a few too many shots when there were open 3's for Dunn, Gfeller, Lopez, and Moorehead. Each of those guys need to be looked for to get them going . Moorehead's shooting has to be somewhat mental now. He is very hesitant to pull the trigger and not looking very confident, unlike last season. He is not in proper position to get off quick shots when they are there. Then again, I am seeing a positive in him looking to build his ball handling, passing, and creativity. He is a surprisingly good ball handler at his size.

I felt the officiating was questionable. However, they were consistent on each side of the ball. I felt neither team had an advantage in the way the game was being called. The GRIZ did leave quite a few opportunities to draw offensive charge calls, on the court. It was frustrating to see the GRIZ get great position in the paint to cut off driving Weber State players, just to see them go for the strip, block shot, or move out of the way. Many of those opportunities were when Weber State went baseline. I also noticed that in the prior home games I attended. Again, something the coaches should be able to easily pick up on game film. Even learning to pick up another 2 charges per game would be huge for this team.

Too bad the GRIZ let another close game slip away, but credit to Weber State. They just would not go away, and Senglin was flat out amazing in the clutch. From a fan and coaching standpoint, I absolutely loved how well each offense executed, the confidence they played with, and the never die attitude. GRIZ and Weber State fans need to be excited for their clubs. Those teams played at a very high level of offense, despite a whistle happy officiating crew.

Both these teams will be contending for the Conference title this season. UND, EWU, and Idaho are also looking pretty good too. Great game, #thankyouGRIZandwildcats

I am pretty sure we saw the top two teams in the conference play. First round.

Re: ticket prices. Those are high. I don't know that FH has done an elasticity study -- doubt it --but the past two games were close to 4,000, not bad at all. But, if they cut prices in half, would they get 6,500 or more and more concession sales?

Of course, UM's screwed budgeting system: increase concession sales by reducing ticket prices; no advantage to the venue budget. Dining services gets it all. So, reduced incentives.

Back