• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UND down to their final 15 nicknames

statler & waldorf said:
The pathetic part of this whole mess is those members of that POS tribe that brought all this to a head. How many if this' tribe' are actually alum of UND? Few, damn few. :twisted:

and this is why they must change their name ^^^ go ask Ron Horse is Thunder if he likes those racist's up there using his people's name & imagery!

But Ron His Horse is Thunder says the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has been firm on its position.
“We’ve already said we don’t want UND to use us on their logo,” he says. “It’s disrespectful.”
He points to the sometimes derogatory references to Sioux by fans during athletic events and even a recent study that found that logos and images can sometimes lead to negative perceptions inside and outside of a particular group. Ron says "UND trying to influence us wont happen, Basically they were trying to buy them (elders) with trips and mementos and plaques."

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20612-and-then-there-were-7-vote/

The final 7
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
Nodaks
North Dakota (no nickname)
North Stars
Roughriders
Sundogs.

I had been an anti-Roughrider person, mostly because one of the High Schools in GF is the Roughriders, but of the remaining 7, it is the best option.

this is the ONLY way they can make news up there is dragging this out, what a joke & waste of nd taxpayers money

UND's biggest rival is Minnesota. The Minnesota official state motto is L'Etoile du Nord "The Star of the North". It is even on their state flag. Would be kind of lame using your rival's state motto for your team name.

GeauxSioux said:

The final 7
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
Nodaks
North Stars
Roughriders
Sundogs.

I had been an anti-Roughrider person, mostly because one of the High Schools in GF is the Roughriders, but of the remaining 7, it is the best option.

Seriously, three years and this is the best of the best?

GeauxSioux said:
UND's biggest rival is Minnesota. The Minnesota official state motto is L'Etoile du Nord "The Star of the North". It is even on their state flag. Would be kind of lame using your rival's state motto for your team name.

Or like using the state initials as your helmet design when you are State U. Not a good look.

CDAGRIZ said:
GeauxSioux said:

Or like using the state initials as your helmet design when you are State U. Not a good look.

HA. So true!

EverettGriz said:
GeauxSioux said:

The final 7
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
Nodaks
North Stars
Roughriders
Sundogs.

Seriously, three years and this is the best of the best?
Welcome to the PC world of nicknames. Committees of diversity and inclusion.
There were a lot of good ones that got scrapped by the committee. My nickname idea, North Dakota Arrows, was rejected, because Arrows were deemed Native American imagery. Never mind that they have been used all over the world for centuries.

We are fortunate that Spirit, Pride and Blaze got ditched. There was a general thought that the UND Admin wanted Spirit as the new name.

It has been a messy process.

GeauxSioux said:
There were a lot of good ones that got scrapped by the committee. My nickname idea, North Dakota Arrows, was rejected, because Arrows were deemed Native American imagery.
There is growing sentiment among the predominant left society around UM that "Grizzly" connotes Bully imagery. They are proposing "Teddies."

kemajic said:
GeauxSioux said:
There were a lot of good ones that got scrapped by the committee. My nickname idea, North Dakota Arrows, was rejected, because Arrows were deemed Native American imagery.
There is growing sentiment among the predominant left society around UM that "Grizzly" connotes Bully imagery. They are proposing "Teddies."

Or something even less fearsome, "Cubs."

MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:
GeauxSioux said:

Or something even less fearsome, "Cubs."
In the 60's when freshmen were not eligible for varsity play, we had freshmen teams and played other BSC freshmen teams. Ours was called the Cubs.

I don't care what they call them. They will always be the UNDies to me.
6a00d8341c6d1d53ef0115706098d8970c-300wi

They should honestly just be North Dakota (no nickname). When you think about it, that would be pretty cool.

CDAGRIZ said:
They should honestly just be North Dakota (no nickname). When you think about it, that would be pretty cool.

Except that it hurts recruiting. There have been multiple UND coaches who have said that not having an identity from a nickname hurts their ability to recruit.

The only reason for the no nickname is that their alumni base still wants to call them the Sioux.

GeauxSioux said:

The final 7
Fighting Hawks
Green Hawks
Nodaks
North Stars
Roughriders
Sundogs.

My top three: 1) Roughriders. 2) North Stars. 3) No nickname. Not a big fan of the other four.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Except that it hurts recruiting. There have been multiple UND coaches who have said that not having an identity from a nickname hurts their ability to recruit.

The only reason for the no nickname is that their alumni base still wants to call them the Sioux.

I think being located in North Dakota is what hurts recruiting. UND is the flagship of a shitty place, but it is still a flagship.

Back