• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Was McDowell a Top 25 FCS QB Last Year?

That parent's a fucking idiot then. I fear there'll come a day this coming season where we'll be wishing he was there in uniform.
There will be people, but I will not be amongst them. Clif chose to leave, so no reason to dwell on it. There is also zero reason to believe the overall picture would be much different even if he were still a Griz.

RB’s that sometimes throw the ball don’t count😁.
76 and 88 for long runs. 5 and 14 running TD's. 55.4% and 62.4% throwing. 2 interceptions each. Passing efficiency of 165 and 164. 117 and 192 attempts.

McDowell: 753 rushing, for 4.5. 9 rushing TD's. Threw for 160-274. 4 picks. Efficiency 133. Completion rate of 58%.

That parent's a fucking idiot then. I fear there'll come a day this coming season where we'll be wishing he was there in uniform.
The parent is very astute and a close following of football. And has inside information, obviously. I think the football idiot is the person making that comment.

The parent is very astute and a close following of football. And has inside information, obviously. I think the football idiot is the person making that comment.
Inside information regarding what? Was Clif a cancer in the locker room?

This whole thing is so ridiculous on so many levels that it's crossed my mind that Clif may be involved in shooting an agenda-driven documentary for Netflix that shows what the portal is doing to CFB. He goes around committing to four different programs in a calendar year, leaves the first one to show how easy it is to bounce around to three more before settling back in Missoula when he had no intention to ever leave permanently in the first place. He gets mid six figures for the production, Bobby allows it because he doesn't like the portal, and Clif starts against Missouri State on 8/31.

He wasn’t too 5 mobile. Barely top 5 in the conference. Both Cat QB’s were better runners.
You mean both their QBs that were constantly getting injured? They can not plow dudes over like McDowell can. When the cats played a good defense looks at how they did... Absolutely horrible.

Here's a question: Let's say McDowell would have transferred within the Big Sky Conference. What schools would he for sure start at?

I think there's only a couple where he would for sure be the guy, particularly if he was walking into a situation where the offense wasn't designed around his skills based on both necessity and the offensive leanings of the head coach. For example, Cliff would not start at Idaho State. Jordan Cooke is way more suited to run Hawkins' 45+ throws a game offense.
Cliff would have started for PSU, MSU(both their QBs get injured, a lot), EWU, Cal Poly, NAU, Weber, and every other BSC school. Every school at every level wants a QB that can also add the +1 and if they don't, they have no business coaching at any school.

Here's a question: Let's say McDowell would have transferred within the Big Sky Conference. What schools would he for sure start at?

I think there's only a couple where he would for sure be the guy, particularly if he was walking into a situation where the offense wasn't designed around his skills based on both necessity and the offensive leanings of the head coach. For example, Cliff would not start at Idaho State. Jordan Cooke is way more suited to run Hawkins' 45+ throws a game offense.
Perhaps, but I don't see how that precludes him from being a top 25 QB.
Almost sounds that way after spring ball, to be honest.

Cliff would have started for PSU, MSU(both their QBs get injured, a lot), EWU, Cal Poly, NAU, Weber, and every other BSC school. Every school at every level wants a QB that can also add the +1 and if they don't, they have no business coaching at any school.
He wouldn't have started at Idaho, Idaho State ,Davis or Cats in my opinion. Partially because of their style of play. Idaho QB now at Oregon St., Davis QB was Big Sky First team as a Soph., Idaho St. QB can flat out throw the ball. And I don't think he was as good as Cats QB's. I don't think they had a game when both were hurt.

He wouldn't have started at Idaho, Idaho State ,Davis or Cats in my opinion. Partially because of their style of play. Idaho QB now at Oregon St., Davis QB was Big Sky First team as a Soph., Idaho St. QB can flat out throw the ball. And I don't think he was as good as Cats QB's. I don't think they had a game when both were hurt.

I would agree that there were other QB’s in the BSC who could have elevated last years team as well OR better than Cliff. Top 25 isn’t too hard when there’s really not even 25 FCS programs worth being listed in the FCS top 25.

However, when going head to head against Idaho, Davis, and MSU Cliff outdueled them with his team/our team. He was a very good complementary piece to last years team at the right time.

I would look for this years team to be more run heavy and rely on that to open up the passing game and take pressure off of the position. Who can step up when the run game doesn’t have it going is the real million dollar question. Can someone step up and become the leader that Cliff was last year? I guarantee everyone would be feeling great if he had chosen to stay and work through winter conditioning and spring ball which he never did here. Probably spouting “to the ship” at the end of every post as well. Alas he did not, opening the door for thread after thread of a QB who is no longer on the team. And another long offseason with questions surrounding the QB position.

You mean both their QBs that were constantly getting injured? They can not plow dudes over like McDowell can. When the cats played a good defense looks at how they did... Absolutely horrible.
The Cat QB’s weren’t hurt at same time in 2023. They were both faster than McDowell, one much faster. That’s why they had long runs and a much higher average per carry. I think McDowell’s long was 42. 2 yards for Cliff in Frisco. Mellot ran for 108 and average about 11 yards per carry against the Griz.

The Cat QB’s weren’t hurt at same time in 2023. They were both faster than McDowell, one much faster. That’s why they had long runs and a much higher average per carry. I think McDowell’s long was 42. 2 yards for Cliff in Frisco. Mellot ran for 108 and average about 11 yards per carry against the Griz.
How many yards did Tommy run for in Frisco this past season?

Agree with Davis and Idaho. Isu purely because of scheme. But I’d argue that Cliff would have been ALL WORLD in the bub’s offense. He’d be as good as Chambers running the ball, and is capable of throwing it at a level either bub could only dream of.

Back