• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 1 Big Sky Conference Results

kemajic said:
Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
Eastern Washington really played an NAIA team?
Embarrassing, right? We should have tried to book a game with a powerhouse like Oklahoma Panhandle University...
Panhandle St. is a DII; MT Wester is NAIA. Relative to Western, Panhandle is a powerhouse.

.....Which leads me to this Question...When was the last time Montana stooped that low to play a NAIA Team??.....Say it aint so..

Kabooom said:
kemajic said:
Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
Embarrassing, right? We should have tried to book a game with a powerhouse like Oklahoma Panhandle University...
Panhandle St. is a DII; MT Wester is NAIA. Relative to Western, Panhandle is a powerhouse.

.....Which leads me to this Question...When was the last time Montana stooped that low to play a NAIA Team??.....Say it aint so..
I couldn't find any after 1934 (MT Tech). We did play some DIIIs - Thomas More (KY) in 1990 and Puget Sound in 1982.

Meanwhile EWU is 38-21 overall against the Frontier Conf.. playing Western in 2007, Tech in 2002, Rocky and E. OR in 1997, etc.

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Remember folks EWU was in NAIA until 1977, in D2 until 1983. Division 1 only since 1984 and in the BSC since 1987. They're relative newcomers to the party....

AZGrizFan said:
Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
cclarkblues said:
'68griz said:
billings_poke said:
Yup, they sure did. ISU has played Montana-Western a couple times in recent years. I am, nonetheless, always surprised/appalled when it happens.

I saw EWU go for it with a pass on 4th down, up 41-9 with under 11 minutes in the 4th quarter. Not sure that's the way I would have played it.

Meanwhile, Griz had the starters pulled against OPSU with about 2 minutes gone in the 2nd quarter. :roll: :roll:
Many of EWU's starters didn't even suit up, for what it's worth. Nobody's beating their chests about playing Montana-Western. I'd rather have not seen this game on the schedule, but scheduling options are limited during that weekend for a home game...so it is what it is.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with our scheduling the past couple of years and the next four or five. A Pac-12 school every year, a home and home series with Sam Houston in '12 and '13, upcoming home and home series with NDSU and Northern Iowa

Kabooom said:
grizcountry420 said:

4:20....Nailed it.

EWU 38W-21L (Chest Puff/Muscle Flex) record vs NAIA??

Fitting that an Old B Movie Comedy Clip with No Audio...Says it All.

Much like Western State, Fort Lewis, Colorado School of the Mines, OK Panhandle, and whatever other teams Montana has brought in the past, these games are necessary. We can talk semantics all we want, but any sort of "play-down" game falls into the same category.

With respect to our record versus the Frontier Conference - Much of what you are referencing is prior to 1977 when EWU moved to NCAA Division II.

Much more relative is our overall winning percentage since joining Division 1AA in 1983 and the Big Sky Conference in 1987. Also more relative to the present is Beau Baldwin's 68-25 overall record, and 38-10 record in the Big Sky.

These kind of discussions kind of remind me of how some of you brag about your overall record over MSU, when both schools didn't even play in the same classification for a large chunk of that time. :coffee:

EWURanger29 said:
Kabooom said:
grizcountry420 said:

Much like Western State, Fort Lewis, Colorado School of the Mines, OK Panhandle, and whatever other teams Montana has brought in the past, these games are necessary. We can talk semantics all we want, but any sort of "play-down" game falls into the same category.

I think the issue most people have is the fact that EWU scheduled an NAIA school. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was a D-II school, a D-III would have raised eyebrows, but an NAIA school is just not necessary. And IMO, playing down to an NAIA level doesn't fall into the same category as playing down to a D-II school... If it was, why not just schedule a high school team? After all, they'd be a "play down" game falling in the same category of any other play down game.

Eastern Wa comes over to our board cries, pees, moans and counts kneel downs as extra points????????
Get a grip "an stay away" from the big boy's game show.

get'em_griz said:
EWURanger29 said:
Kabooom said:
grizcountry420 said:

I think the issue most people have is the fact that EWU scheduled an NAIA school. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was a D-II school, a D-III would have raised eyebrows, but an NAIA school is just not necessary. And IMO, playing down to an NAIA level doesn't fall into the same category as playing down to a D-II school... If it was, why not just schedule a high school team? After all, they'd be a "play down" game falling in the same category of any other play down game.

I understand what you're saying. To add some more perspective, the SHSU game was originally scheduled for this past weekend, but when it was moved a week to the left to accomodate ESPN's FCS Kickoff, that left this past weekend as an open date for a home game. DII schools are not allowed to open the season until this upcoming weekend, which meant it was either a Montana-Western type game or not play a 6th game at home or 12th game overall. Trust me, nobody was particularly thrilled about it, but I'm not too sure what else could have been done. Scheduling is difficult, particularly for FCS teams on the west coast who don't have the luxury of being able to schedule the NEC, Patriots, and all the other "FCS" schools that count as DI wins, but who would probably lose to most of the 25-Scholarship DII's that play out west.

Like I said before, it kinda is what it is. We don't exactly shy away from the competition in terms of who we play (Washington, Oregon next year, UNI, NDSU, etc).

EWURanger29 said:
I understand what you're saying. To add some more perspective, the SHSU game was originally scheduled for this past weekend, but when it was moved a week to the left to accomodate ESPN's FCS Kickoff, that left this past weekend as an open date for a home game. DII schools are not allowed to open the season until this upcoming weekend, which meant it was either a Montana-Western type game or not play a 6th game at home or 12th game overall. Trust me, nobody was particularly thrilled about it, but I'm not too sure what else could have been done. Scheduling is difficult, particularly for FCS teams on the west coast who don't have the luxury of being able to schedule the NEC, Patriots, and all the other "FCS" schools that count as DI wins,..

Like I said before, it kinda is what it is.

But for all of that, it seems like it was a 100 % definite that for the weekend of 8/30 that it had to be a home game or go without a twelve game schedule. As you say, scheduling is difficult, particularly for FCS teams on the west coast, but for what it's worth, there were at least nine FCS teams that had 'open' dates for that 8/30 weekend. for instance, Houston Baptist and McNeese State out of the Southland; Butler, San Diego and Dayton out of the Pioneer; Lafayette and Lehigh out of the Patriot; Illinois State out of the Missouri Valley and Rhode Island for the Colonial Athletic. A twelfth game wasn't completely out of the picture for there was allowance for scheduling a FCS opponent; but it may have been for a sixth 'home' game that precluded the above opponents as a possibility.

WyomingGrizFan said:
EWURanger29 said:
I understand what you're saying. To add some more perspective, the SHSU game was originally scheduled for this past weekend, but when it was moved a week to the left to accomodate ESPN's FCS Kickoff, that left this past weekend as an open date for a home game. DII schools are not allowed to open the season until this upcoming weekend, which meant it was either a Montana-Western type game or not play a 6th game at home or 12th game overall. Trust me, nobody was particularly thrilled about it, but I'm not too sure what else could have been done. Scheduling is difficult, particularly for FCS teams on the west coast who don't have the luxury of being able to schedule the NEC, Patriots, and all the other "FCS" schools that count as DI wins,..

Like I said before, it kinda is what it is.

But for all of that, it seems like it was a 100 % definite that for the weekend of 8/30 that it had to be a home game or go without a twelve game schedule. As you say, scheduling is difficult, particularly for FCS teams on the west coast, but for what it's worth, there were at least nine FCS teams that had 'open' dates for that 8/30 weekend. for instance, Houston Baptist and McNeese State out of the Southland; Butler, San Diego and Dayton out of the Pioneer; Lafayette and Lehigh out of the Patriot; Illinois State out of the Missouri Valley and Rhode Island for the Colonial Athletic. A twelfth game wasn't completely out of the picture for there was allowance for scheduling a FCS opponent; but it may have been for a sixth 'home' game that precluded the above opponents as a possibility.

Ewu wanted to schedule a 6th home game so this was the deal. Since it was in august I believe that took D2's out of it. Our schedules are filled the next couple years when it goes back to 11 game schedules and no drop down games. We couldn't schedule a home and home with another fcs because of this, unless the games were 4 years apart.

The august 23rd game basically left ewu with 3 options

1) give up a later bye week to try and schedule a D2 on 9/13 and Have a bye on 8/30. we play MSU on 9/20 so it's better to have a bye after 3 games before a big road trip to Bozeman than have a bye after 1 game before we go to Seattle for a game that EWU is not expected to win

2) pay a FCS team to come to cheney for a one time game. EWU doesn't have a ton of $$$ to spend like that so it's not an option.

3) schedule a NAIA team

I'm sure there were other options considered but these were the primary ones. Nobody wanted this game, but it is what it is...

Credit the kids from Dillon they played hard

Back