• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Welcome to the O-line News Thread (Merge)

HookedonGriz said:
I’ve got nothing to add, except holy shit. Very happy Stoner is back, as I was high on him when he left. Welcome to Griz....er...back to Griz Nation!
I see what you did there

BWahlberg said:
It was a very spirited day today in practice, I love the attitude and effort from this team. The close of practice (that I saw) today was pretty cool.

As usual Bobby calls the team up for a huddle. Halfway through his recap he calls #50, Cody Meyer up to stand in front of the group. I couldn't hear what was specifically being said but it sounded like general words of encouragement about Cody's work on the field, academically, and in life in general. At the end of Bobby's speech he announced that Cody's been awarded a full ride scholarship. The team went CRAZY. They jumped to their feet, hoarded Cody, shouted/screamed, and were jumping all over. As they broke their celebration and went to drills you could hear Bobby yelling to Cody the celebration was over and it's time to get back to work, haha.

Congrats to him!

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1029512200438697984

Cody never asked for anything but a chance to be out here and wear a Grizzly uniform. I don't think he said a word to me in the last eight months, all he asked was where he needed to be and what he needed to do. For him to earn a scholarship obviously is exciting for us as coaches, and it's certainly exciting for his teammates because he's a great guy and they like him."

Congrats Cody. :clap: :thumb:

Amie said:
FWIW: I have some notes on Cody Meyer, Thayne Jackson and Payton Stoner

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-notebook-wide-receivers-tight-ends-deep-meyer-earns-scholarship/article_3dc9df4f-66d3-5f68-af9e-8bda6e6088b2.html

Thanks, Amie.

'68griz said:
Amie said:
FWIW: I have some notes on Cody Meyer, Thayne Jackson and Payton Stoner

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-notebook-wide-receivers-tight-ends-deep-meyer-earns-scholarship/article_3dc9df4f-66d3-5f68-af9e-8bda6e6088b2.html

Thanks, Amie.

But stay out of the team huddles.

Some more info on Stoner’s return... i’m guessing he gave up his scholarship when he left and the sacrifice is that he’s coming back as a walk on. I think it’s cool he wants to be a Griz that bad. I wish him nothing but the best:

Back in the Mix

Offensive lineman Payton Stoner has re-joined the team after announcing he was departing at the end of last season.

Stoner, a 6-6, 282-pounder from San Diego, dressed for his first practice with the team on Tuesday.

"We're excited to welcome Payton back. After some thought he decided he'd do about anything to get back and wear a Grizzly uniform again," said Hauck.

"He made a significant personal sacrifice to do it, but he understands what a privilege it is to be on this football team, and we think he's got a chance to earn his way back onto the field."

Just for giggles I looked at who had playing time for weber state last year in their offensive line. they started 2 freshman and 1 sophomore. 3 other freshman and 1 other sophomore played in every game they were active in. Just saying, if the talent is there and the coaching is efficient...it can be done.

mtgrizfankb said:
Just for giggles I looked at who had playing time for weber state last year in their offensive line. they started 2 freshman and 1 sophomore. 3 other freshman and 1 other sophomore played in every game they were active in. Just saying, if the talent is there and the coaching is efficient...it can be done.

:thumb:

mtgrizfankb said:
Wow. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtgrizfankb said:

Were those "Freshmen" actually 18 year old Freshmen or were they the BBQ-U, "missionary trip" 21 year old "Freshmen." :mrgreen:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Were those "Freshmen" actually 18 year old Freshmen or were they the BBQ-U, "missionary trip" 21 year old "Freshmen." :mrgreen:
I betting the latter, in a lot of cases.

IdaGriz01 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I betting the latter, in a lot of cases.

Then let sit another year in redshirt marinade...

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:

3 of them had alteast a 1 year mission. but that also means they didn't play football for a year. average size was 6ft 5 292

mtgrizfankb said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:

3 of them had alteast a 1 year mission. but that also means they didn't play football for a year. average size was 6ft 5 292

Sure - they didn't play football for a year, but that still gives them a whole year to get stronger and mature - I guess I just see them more as Redshirt Freshmen, than true Freshmen. Splitting hairs? Probably, but there is a big difference between a Freshmen straight out of high school playing at 270, then a "Freshmen" having a year to get stronger and then playing at say 290. I mean, we're probably just quibbling over semantics - in general I agree - was just being a smart ass.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Sure - they didn't play football for a year, but that still gives them a whole year to get stronger and mature - I guess I just see them more as Redshirt Freshmen, than true Freshmen. Splitting hairs? Probably, but there is a big difference between a Freshmen straight out of high school playing at 270, then a "Freshmen" having a year to get stronger and then playing at say 290. I mean, we're probably just quibbling over semantics - in general I agree - was just being a smart ass.

Lol The freshman that I would look at playing a lot are: Anderson 6ft7 305, Kanouse 6ft6 306 (who was at prep school for a year) and Ganoung 6ft5 318. 6ft6 and 309 is a pretty good average for those 3.

HookedonGriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/AndrewH202/status/1030270714018848768

oooftah :shock: 250 is a little on the light side for a guard.

I don’t trust that number. I think he’s close to 265-270 now

Still...for a guard!? I mean he doesn't have the size to be a tackle so thats really the only spot for him. I know he is an ox though so his strength might buy him some help

From Andrew Houghton:

Backs to the wall, Griz OL has “embraced the grind”
https://skylinesportsmt.com/backs-to-the-wall-griz-ol-has-embraced-the-grind/

Back