• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What does everybody think of our QB's

Without seeing the three compete this spring yet, I am "leaning" toward Caleb Hill leaving spring with the edge to be the #1 entering fall practice.

This assumption is from reading the www.gogriz.com article on the three transfers (him running this exact system) and realizing that the two quarterbacks before him at his JC went to The SEC at Texas A&M and The Big 12 at the Univ of Texas. This JC doesn't mess around.

I feel good about Reese Phillips as well though, he has a shot... if nothing else, it would be nice to have a quality #2, senior like him.

Diesel said:
So going by what Stitt said preseason BG is the starter and the other QBs have not clearly separated who number two and three are, unless Phillips has drastic improvement and according to Garizzalies Jensen won't be ready. Then the southpaw from Blin Blin is the front runner for starting in 2017.

You're on to something... :lol:

IntuitiveGriz said:
Diesel said:
So going by what Stitt said preseason BG is the starter and the other QBs have not clearly separated who number two and three are, unless Phillips has drastic improvement and according to Garizzalies Jensen won't be ready. Then the southpaw from Blin Blin is the front runner for starting in 2017.

You're on to something... :lol:

Clearly you two are sitting on neighboring stools @ one of the downtown establishments. :lol:

:lol: I wish. However I am in Butte, and I have no idea where Diesel is. We have have no idea who eachother are.

We are just good at deductive reasoning, I guess. :thumb:

IntuitiveGriz said:
:lol: I wish. However I am in Butte, and I have no idea where Diesel is. We have have no idea who eachother are.

I'm better at deductive than reasoning. :lol: It's a long offseason.

Diesel said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I'm better at deductive than reasoning. :lol: It's a long offseason.

You both have done a great job. Egrizzers are definitely "deducting" your reasoning. :lol: :thumb:

Postby IntuitiveGriz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Without seeing the three compete this spring yet, I am "leaning" toward Caleb Hill leaving spring with the edge to be the #1 entering fall practice.

This assumption is from reading the www.gogriz.com article on the three transfers (him running this exact system) and realizing that the two quarterbacks before him at his JC went to The SEC at Texas A&M and The Big 12 at the Univ of Texas. This JC doesn't mess around.

OK, I realize that alternative facts are the name of the game today but you might want
to look at the the Blinn College 2016 football schedule and results. 5 and 4 running the "exact same system" as Stitt? I'm not sure that is what you meant but the won/loss record does sound familiar. Losses to powerhouses like Navarro College, Trinity Valley Community College and New Mexico Military Institute. Yes, this JC really doesn't mess around. I can see how Stitt might be attracted to the young man with his own high profile background at Colorado School of Mines but this might not be exactly what some of you are hoping for. You sure he is ready for FCS football?

Skd.catfish
I can't believe you won't let us have a little fun in the offseason.
Next your going to tell me Blinn was 3-4 in conference play. Hill had less than 900 yards passing in six games and Blinn's head coach is shorter than Stitt.

Hill's best stat was 5 Tds and 0 Int and can run.

Big jump for Hill it will interesting to see how he performs. He is talking the talk.

This is the kind of thread I'd expect 75 to come in and make some passive aggressive comment in.

But its been nothing but crickets from him for a while. Wonder if shitting an encyclopedia all over egriz finally got him in time-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question though is that if Hill isn't as good as you guys claim them to be, and won't be the starter, then why did Stitt bring in Hill to challenge Jensen for the spot? If Stitt knew Jensen was gonna be the starter then why would he have brought in Hill?

Griz til I die said:
My question though is that if Hill isn't as good as you guys claim them to be, and won't be the starter, then why did Stitt bring in Hill to challenge Jensen for the spot? If Stitt knew Jensen was gonna be the starter then why would he have brought in Hill?

Do you want Phillips as the only tested backup?

sdk.catfish said:

This assumption is from reading the http://www.gogriz.com article on the three transfers (him running this exact system) and realizing that the two quarterbacks before him at his JC went to The SEC at Texas A&M and The Big 12 at the Univ of Texas. This JC doesn't mess around.

OK, I realize that alternative facts are the name of the game today but you might want
to look at the the Blinn College 2016 football schedule and results. 5 and 4 running the "exact same system" as Stitt? I'm not sure that is what you meant but the won/loss record does sound familiar. Losses to powerhouses like Navarro College, Trinity Valley Community College and New Mexico Military Institute. Yes, this JC really doesn't mess around. I can see how Stitt might be attracted to the young man with his own high profile background at Colorado School of Mines but this might not be exactly what some of you are hoping for. You sure he is ready for FCS football?

Do you have any concept of how JC's work? :roll: :roll:

Griz til I die said:

Jensen is not a lock, he might be a year away and even then you never know. We don't have to go any further back than 2015 to remember what happens when your QB's start dropping...having 3 that seem capable is never a bad thing. It's not like they're looking at backing up someone like JJ as a sophomore knowing they will never see the field for 3 years unless he gets hurt (or um...other reasons), this thing is fairly wide open right now it appears.

It would be great to see Jensen take the job as a redshirt freshmen, but it seems very unlikely.
It Gus, Chalich, Phillips got spring reps that quickly turned into starter Gus getting the most. Doubt Jensen got anything meaningful last fall.

There is not a lock on any of the QBs on the roster.
Phillips has less than 20 pass attempts in games thus far in his career. From what I could find his playing time was to get reps. He also had limited snaps in practice as the third string QB.
Hill has the most game time experience, but at Juco level. Six games less than 900 yards passing 5TDS and 0 INT.
Jensen is the youngest with no game time experience and few if any reps in practice. He may have the most upside time will tell.
The trio are green and unproven we will see who separates themselves and becomes the starter.

What possible downside to position competition is there? The reality is that injuries are going to force a need for multiple guys who can play, witness just about any season in recent memory. Nobody is a lock, but you'd hope when all is said and done, that it isn't a decision between the lesser of the evils. I believe you'll see whether or not it was the quarterback or the coaches strategy and tactics when they kick off conference games this season upcoming.

Forgive the Captain Obvious commentary, but all of the QB's will be better with a real running game, behind an offensive line that can keep them upright. I also think the offensive scheme has got to evolve to account for what multiple defenses have done to negate the "pick your poison" proposition that seems to be the crux of his strategy.

Griz til I die said:

I am not going to predict the starter. But the reason Stitt brought Hill in....depth. Since Stitt has been at UM, how many QB's have played per season?

sdk.catfish said:

This assumption is from reading the http://www.gogriz.com article on the three transfers (him running this exact system) and realizing that the two quarterbacks before him at his JC went to The SEC at Texas A&M and The Big 12 at the Univ of Texas. This JC doesn't mess around.

CATFISH (troll) - Blinn is loaded with FBS talent, and sends their players every year to top-notch programs. Relevant here: besides the recent SEC and Big 12 Quarterbacks they sent up, you might remember former Blinn QB Cam Newton.

Keep troling... you're bound to catch something. NOT ME. C-YA :!:

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

I am not going to predict the starter. But the reason Stitt brought Hill in....depth. Since Stitt has been at UM, how many QB's have played per season?

Yes -- I've said it from day one. That system is inherently going to be rough on QBs purely due to the insistence on trying to run 100 plays per game. That is a huge discrepancy in the number of snaps your QB takes in games and practices. It would be a miracle of you had a QB make it through an entire season on that system, you just hope the injuries aren't season or career ending.

poorgriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Yes -- I've said it from day one. That system is inherently going to be rough on QBs purely due to the insistence on trying to run 100 plays per game. That is a huge discrepancy in the number of snaps your QB takes in games and practices. It would be a miracle of you had a QB make it through an entire season on that system, you just hope the injuries aren't season or career ending.

This is almost as dumb as Growler's "this system is gassing the O-line" comments.

Latest posts

Back