• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's your pick for QB?

Post by HelenaHandBasket » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

You do realize the QB has a run/pass option on each play and then has multiple reads on each play. Seems the QB does run the show.

I acknowledge your point and I am very aware that is how it is supposed to be. However, due to a variety of factors, some explainable and some not, that is not how it has worked out. At some point, and I think this season is the defining moment, we need to find out whether it is the quarterback or it is the coach. Should be interesting.

sdk.catfish said:
I'd like see the starting the quarterback the one who has the balls to inform Stitt that many of his play calls (offensive in all interpretations of the word) are a piece of shit and that he would like to move toward a more balanced approach of the QB making the final call and running the show. From what I have heard, and I do have some inside information on the intelligence level of Jensen, he would be the guy. Very smart but how do you tell the coach he's not the genius that the hype out of D2 made him out to be? Hill has kind of "fake statistics" out of Blinn and will have to prove what he has early if he is to make an impact.

DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT

sdk.catfish said:
I'd like see the starting the quarterback the one who has the balls to inform Stitt that many of his play calls (offensive in all interpretations of the word) are a piece of shit and that he would like to move toward a more balanced approach of the QB making the final call and running the show. From what I have heard, and I do have some inside information on the intelligence level of Jensen, he would be the guy. Very smart but how do you tell the coach he's not the genius that the hype out of D2 made him out to be? Hill has kind of "fake statistics" out of Blinn and will have to prove what he has early if he is to make an impact.
Fake statistics like Homan had fake statistics? Also is English your second language?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdk.catfish said:
Post by HelenaHandBasket » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

You do realize the QB has a run/pass option on each play and then has multiple reads on each play. Seems the QB does run the show.

I acknowledge your point and I am very aware that is how it is supposed to be. However, due to a variety of factors, some explainable and some not, that is not how it has worked out. At some point, and I think this season is the defining moment, we need to find out whether it is the quarterback or it is the coach. Should be interesting.

If only it were that simple. There are 10 other players on the field.

HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

Honest to god, the majority of the people that complain about Stitt's offense don't seem to have any idea of how it actually works, as illustrated by the countless "he needs to change his bubble screen, check down offense!" posts.

Phillips to start this season, and do well. Next season, Jensen takes the reigns to be a 3 year starter. I do hope the GRIZ have a few games well in hand to allow Jensen and Hill to each get some valuable experience.

fanofzoo said:
Would like to see Jensen but will take who ever can take us to the promised land.
The video on Hill shows he can wing the ball but his line gave him about 10 seconds to do it, big change coming for him. Phillips seems to be the guy but if he is that good why was he riding pine last year?

Unfair to Phillips to assume Stitt would throw it open to a competition last season, because he didn't. He had two guys who had large blocks of playing time from the year prior, and he was looking past lack of mobility & accuracy, along with O-line inconsistency issues in favor of familiarity. In limited reps, in a new offense, going to be difficult to be seen as possible. In Stitt's world, age/experience wins out over youth/enthusiasm almost all the time.

Stitt needs to give all three comparable reps and coaching, and let the hierarchy find itself due to performance. These three are his guys - no excuses around having to work with guys who have to change horses in the middle are going to be accepted go forward.

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

Honest to god, the majority of the people that complain about Stitt's offense don't seem to have any idea of how it actually works, as illustrated by the countless "he needs to change his bubble screen, check down offense!" posts.

The last two years, especially last season may allow fans that have a different view than yourself about coach Stitts offense, if the last two seasons are an indication that it's working, what is going to make it change this season. The Griz are not the only team to improve this season, it's save to say that all the teams in the BSC are going to improve.

After listening to coach Stitts press release, after his evaluation and looking in depth of last season, minor tweaks just might not be the answer, just my humble opinion.

spsyk said:
The last two years, especially last season may allow fans that have a different view than yourself about coach Stitts offense, if the last two seasons are an indication that it's working, what is going to make it change this season. The Griz are not the only team to improve this season, it's save to say that all the teams in the BSC are going to improve.

After listening to coach Stitts press release, after his evaluation and looking in depth of last season, minor tweaks just might not be the answer, just my humble opinion.

Really? Every team is going to improve? I'll take that bet.

AZGrizFan said:
spsyk said:

Yeah some will regress no doubt. Could you easily see it with Cal Poly, Weber and maybe EWU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

Of course you thought Gus was a good QB, so not sure what your humble opinion is really worth.

Obviously we should wait till after spring ball to decide. I haven't seen any of them throw the ball or see how they handle the team and offense. The Griz offense was hot at times last season if we can find consistincy we could be unstoppable. As far as who I want to start. I want Jensen to WIN the starting job. I want him to be that GOOD that he wins the job outright. He is a very bright kid, was up for an academic award last year. He has had some very gritty performances in high school. His tape shows that even though he is very athletic and can run, can run the read option, can scramble and run, he prefers to keep his head up and throw the ball. I love the kid but I love winning more. The person who gives us the best chance to win this year should start. But that is obvious. I just want Jensen to be that good.

spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

So I'm assuming that you don't think any of our QBs can run this offense, despite hardly seeing any evidence?

Watching just a bit of film on Jensen he had lackluster o-line and did a good job of extending plays.
I too would like to see Gresch be a four year starter. (if warranted)

uofmman1122 said:
spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

So I'm assuming that you don't think any of our QBs can run this offense, despite hardly seeing any evidence?

I think he is saying that it doesn't matter, the offense won't work.

HelenaHandBasket wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm
sdk.catfish wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 pm

HHB - I acknowledge your point that the QB is not technically supposed to be locked into one play and that depending on what he sees, or thinks he sees, he should have options. I don't really have a problem with that aspect, and see it as insignificantly different than a QB having options to change a play at the LOS as we are all familiar with. My main problem is that I have yet to see a QB that can run Stitt's offense and I'm not convinced, unless the playbook changes, that it will happen. Another side might be that we have see QB's running Stitt's offense and it hasn't worked out that well unless we are playing cupcakes. Stitt has had since his after-season presser a good deal of time to modify the playbook. Hopefully it was with some input of both Philips and Jensen. Do we have an egotist or a pragmatist? This season will tell and I agree with those who believe that significant improvements need to come this season or that another qualified coach will inherit some really good talent.

HelenaHandBasket said:
spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Of course you thought Gus was a good QB, so not sure what your humble opinion is really worth.

Well, what does that say about the opinion of coach Stitt, after all he was committed to BG.

Not sure where you got my opinion of GB, never said one way or another, however with a different OC and offense, I think BG would have been better QB.

AZGrizFan said:
spsyk said:

Wasn't looking for a wager, nobody ever pays their bets on eGriz.

Although unlike you, I believe that all teams try to improve, that is something that the Griz dont do solely.

And from the performance of last season, just how much of an imrprovement did you see.

Back