• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's your pick for QB?

uofmman1122 said:
spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You do realize the QB has a run/pass option on each play and then has multiple reads on each play. Seems the QB does run the show.
Honest to god, the majority of the people that complain about Stitt's offense don't seem to have any idea of how it actually works, as illustrated by the countless "he needs to change his bubble screen, check down offense!" posts.

The last two years, especially last season may allow fans that have a different view than yourself about coach Stitts offense, if the last two seasons are an indication that it's working, what is going to make it change this season. The Griz are not the only team to improve this season, it's save to say that all the teams in the BSC are going to improve.

After listening to coach Stitts press release, after his evaluation and looking in depth of last season, minor tweaks just might not be the answer, just my humble opinion.
So I'm assuming that you don't think any of our QBs can run this offense, despite hardly seeing any evidence?

I don't have any problem with any athlete, I think any of the three would do fine, it's the offense itself that has the problems.

It's has been mediocre at School of Mines and hasn't been very impressive at UM.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:
spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
Honest to god, the majority of the people that complain about Stitt's offense don't seem to have any idea of how it actually works, as illustrated by the countless "he needs to change his bubble screen, check down offense!" posts.

The last two years, especially last season may allow fans that have a different view than yourself about coach Stitts offense, if the last two seasons are an indication that it's working, what is going to make it change this season. The Griz are not the only team to improve this season, it's save to say that all the teams in the BSC are going to improve.

After listening to coach Stitts press release, after his evaluation and looking in depth of last season, minor tweaks just might not be the answer, just my humble opinion.
So I'm assuming that you don't think any of our QBs can run this offense, despite hardly seeing any evidence?

I think he is saying that it doesn't matter, the offense won't work.

You took the words out of my mouth.

spsyk said:
AZGrizFan said:
spsyk said:

Really? Every team is going to improve? I'll take that bet.

Wasn't looking for a wager, nobody ever pays their bets on eGriz.

Although unlike you, I believe that all teams try to improve, that is something that the Griz dont do solely.

And from the performance of last season, just how much of an imrprovement did you see.

Griz improved, then regressed. PSU regressed. MSU regressed. NAU regressed. EWU & UND and CP got better.

And I've paid every bet I've ever lost on eGriz.

brewskis said:
My guess is Hill. I could give a shit about his stats in JC. Homan was a beast and he had similarly average stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hill and Homan are from the same HS, yep both are good players. Hill was 2nd team All-State in HS in Texas, and comes from football factory, Blinn CC.

Phillips was 1st team All-State in Tennessee, and comes from U of Kentucky in the SEC.

It's going to be a fantastic battle...

IntuitiveGriz said:
brewskis said:
My guess is Hill. I could give a shit about his stats in JC. Homan was a beast and he had similarly average stats.

Hill and Homan are from the same HS, yep both are good players. Hill was 2nd team All-State in HS in Texas, and comes from football factory, Blinn CC.

Phillips was 1st team All-State in Tennessee, and comes from U of Kentucky in the SEC.

It's going to be a fantastic battle...

just how cool would it be it one of the qbs rose to the top and it was not even close....then we would have a qb for certain, now that what I would like to see....

spsyk said:
AZGrizFan said:
spsyk said:

Really? Every team is going to improve? I'll take that bet.

Wasn't looking for a wager, nobody ever pays their bets on eGriz.

Nailed that one.

I am going with Phillips. Based on almost no information. Has a great arm, in terms of throwing the ball. Seems fairly or even very accurate. Strong arm. Can throw to the sideline and down field. Head and knowledge of the offense. Don't know. Guessing he might have been more of a factor last year had he been good and up to speed in those areas. Older. More likely not to be intimidated at UW. All 3 of the qb's seems at least fairly mobile to me.

Again, based on no inside info, can he run the offense effectively, get the ball to the right people, and avoid picks? Don't know. I like the other 2 guys too, based on one practice with no pads. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
I am going with Phillips. Based on almost no information. Has a great arm, in terms of throwing the ball. Seems fairly or even very accurate. Strong arm. Can throw to the sideline and down field. Head and knowledge of the offense. Don't know. Guessing he might have been more of a factor last year had he been good and up to speed in those areas. Older. More likely not to be intimidated at UW. All 3 of the qb's seems at least fairly mobile to me.

Again, based on no inside info, can he run the offense effectively, get the ball to the right people, and avoid picks? Don't know. I like the other 2 guys too, based on one practice with no pads. Ha.
I agree....although my gut tells me Hill, although similarly for no real reason. They both sound like confident gunslingers. I'm guessing it'll come down to whichever one does the best job of limiting their critical mistakes.

We will see!

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree....although my gut tells me Hill, although similarly for no real reason. They both sound like confident gunslingers. I'm guessing it'll come down to whichever one does the best job of limiting their critical mistakes.

We will see!

Certainly nice to have options. I really don't think the QB position can be worse than last year. Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent. I have high hopes this year will be better. UW is a tough way to start the season though. Trial by fire if nothing else. My bet is on RP. I think a year learning the system gives him a leg up.

sdk.catfish said:
I'd like see the starting the quarterback the one who has the balls to inform Stitt that many of his play calls (offensive in all interpretations of the word) are a piece of shit and that he would like to move toward a more balanced approach of the QB making the final call and running the show. From what I have heard, and I do have some inside information on the intelligence level of Jensen, he would be the guy. Very smart but how do you tell the coach he's not the genius that the hype out of D2 made him out to be? Hill has kind of "fake statistics" out of Blinn and will have to prove what he has early if he is to make an impact.

So who's ask.catfish and why does he suck so bad?

Copper Griz said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

We will see!

Certainly nice to have options. I really don't think the QB position can be worse than last year. Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent. I have high hopes this year will be better. UW is a tough way to start the season though. Trial by fire if nothing else. My bet is on RP. I think a year learning the system gives him a leg up.

We had some of the best QB play in the country last season... But some inconsistencies. Our offensive line was poor and our receivers were average as a unit. It's simply ridiculous to say it can't be any worse this season. Infact, it's VERY likely that it will be worse. None of those QB's on the roster have any meaningful experience. Phillips was our 3rd best option last season... Let's be honest with ourselves... We are probably going to stink up the field for the first half of the season, then improve to a .500 team by November (when we'll be sitting at home again during the playoffs and looking for a new coach ).

"That (QB) competition should be very strong, and I hope all three of them push each other and we come out with a guy that can win a lot of games for us," added Stitt.

But for all the facts, figures, stats and analysis that go into finding a starting QB, Stitt and his staff will spend much of spring ball trying measure the unmeasurables that go into making a great quarterback.

"The starting quarterback should elevate everyone's play," said Stitt.

"Coach (Andrew) Selle has some things he does statistically where you can weigh out their production, but you try to get a get a feel for how the other guys rally around a certain quarterback, how our offense runs and how efficiently it's run when this quarterback is in there. Do guys make plays when this certain quarterback is in there or are they not making plays?"

So with an offensive system that ranked in the nation's top five last year returning many key figures from last year, the Grizzlies are set to blow up the scoreboard in 2017. The pieces are in place, but how well the pieces work together to run the machine will be determined in time for the spring game on April 22 in Butte.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/2/28/griz-football-spring-preview-the-offense.aspx?path=football

Griz are looking better on paper:

Montana returns 19 players who made three or more starts, and a robust 41 lettermen from last year's 6-5 squad, who produced the 30th winning season in the past 31 years of Griz football. Stitt and his staff also added four high-level transfers in the offseason, giving UM plenty of in-game experience to build on for 2017.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/2/28/griz-football-spring-preview-the-offense.aspx?path=football

:thumb:
bgbigdog said:
fanofzoo said:
Would like to see Jensen but will take who ever can take us to the promised land.
The video on Hill shows he can wing the ball but his line gave him about 10 seconds to do it, big change coming for him. Phillips seems to be the guy but if he is that good why was he riding pine last year?

Unfair to Phillips to assume Stitt would throw it open to a competition last season, because he didn't. He had two guys who had large blocks of playing time from the year prior, and he was looking past lack of mobility & accuracy, along with O-line inconsistency issues in favor of familiarity. In limited reps, in a new offense, going to be difficult to be seen as possible. In Stitt's world, age/experience wins out over youth/enthusiasm almost all the time.

Stitt needs to give all three comparable reps and coaching, and let the hierarchy find itself due to performance. These three are his guys - no excuses around having to work with guys who have to change horses in the middle are going to be accepted go forward.

:thumb:

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

Like to see all three get equal snaps and as fair shot at the starting role based on that. Last year it was Gus' job to lose and Chalich had the experience in the offense in game situations! This year, all three are really even. If anything, Hill has the up hill battle, having not been around as much. I'd like to see Stitt simplify, like he did first year with Gus! I look forward the battle. Go Griz!

We will see!

Member Berries said:
Copper Griz said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

We will see!

We had some of the best QB play in the country last season... But some inconsistencies. Our offensive line was poor and our receivers were average as a unit. It's simply ridiculous to say it can't be any worse this season. Infact, it's VERY likely that it will be worse. None of those QB's on the roster have any meaningful experience. Phillips was our 3rd best option last season... Let's be honest with ourselves... We are probably going to stink up the field for the first half of the season, then improve to a .500 team by November (when we'll be sitting at home again during the playoffs and looking for a new coach ).

Correct about the o line. Correct about the young receives. Blinders on concerning some of the best QB play in the country. I didn't see it. Immobile and off target many, many games.

Member Berries said:
Copper Griz said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

We will see!

We had some of the best QB play in the country last season... But some inconsistencies.

Yeah... like when it mattered.

Copper Griz said:
Member Berries said:
Copper Griz said:
brewskis said:

We will see!

Correct about the o line. Correct about the young receives. Blinders on concerning some of the best QB play in the country. I didn't see it. Immobile and off target many, many games.

And it took forever for BG to release the football.

Based on the few times I observed RP at QB, (spring game, clean-up duty, etc.), I don't think the bar is set real high, IMO. I'm sure he is a good QB and probably #1 going into spring camp, but don't think it would take too much to knock him out of the #1 spot. Hill has more post high school game experience than the others and if he can roll that into directing the BS offense and complete a pass while scrambling, he might just be the guy. Whoever it is, I just hope they don't take too long getting up to speed or it could be a long season.

GO GRIZ!

We have three FCS average-above average quarterbacks in the program. The success of the quarterback will depend upon the on the job training of the coaches for offense, defense and special teams, not to mention the ongoing oversight from Kent Haslam.

Back