• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Opinion

grizcountry420

Whats everyone's opinion on this years home game schedule? This is about as unattractive of a home schedule as I've seen in many years. I see that the University is selling a 3 game mini-pack for 98 bucks. Are they not selling as many season tickets as previous years so they are trying something new to get people into the stands?

The 3 games that are in the package are:
9/6 vs Central Washington
9/13 vs South Dakota
11/1 vs Sac St

The other 3 remaining home games are:
9/27 vs No Colorado
10/18 vs UC Davis
11/22 vs Montana St

Now our road schedule is a totally different story, very very tough...
8/30 @ Wyoming
9/20 @ NDSU
10/4 @ North Dakota - 3 years in a row :?
10/25 @ Cal Poly
11/8 @ EWU
11/15 @Southern Utah

Too bad we could not flip the away schedule!

But......South dakota may be a better test than we might think, but the home contests do look hohum 'cept for catzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the sac state and davis games will be fun games. davis returns a lot of starts and manzanares is a tough runner. sodak is decent. not as good as the road schedule but not as bad it looks.

grizcountry420 said:
Whats everyone's opinion on this years home game schedule? This is about as unattractive of a home schedule as I've seen in many years. I see that the University is selling a 3 game mini-pack for 98 bucks. Are they not selling as many season tickets as previous years so they are trying something new to get people into the stands?

9/13 vs South Dakota
11/1 vs Sac St

9/27 vs No Colorado
10/18 vs UC Davis
11/22 vs Montana St

8/30 @ Wyoming
9/20 @ NDSU
10/25 @ Cal Poly
11/8 @ EWU
11/15 @Southern Utah

On the surface I agree, I think this could be one of the least attractive/exciting home schedules this team has had in years. Although I think it was the 2007 team, theirs was pretty gross/boring too.

Whats tough to tell is if there's a surprise or on the rise-type of team in this group.

C. Wash, UNC, and UCD all have the possible makings to be total duds. Unless UNC or UCD have some sleeper talent on the rise, or UCW has a ton of UW/Wazzu drop-downs like they did back in 2008... I just don't see those games being competitive... for now.

Sac is intriguing, that was one of the more exciting/stressful back and forth games from last year. Safron is the real deal and a game-changer. I'm looking forward to seeing them play here in Wa Griz.

South Dakota is a tough call, obviously another exciting/stressful game from last year but they lost some real studs as I recall, mainly Tyler Starr. Will they be as good?

MSU is THE rivalry game, maybe the only saving grace for the home slate. However with their losses to graduation, injury, and academics... will they be competitive? They've got the makings of what looks like a pretty good defense, IMO, just not sure about the other side of the ball.

On the other side of the coin the road schedule is a beast. @Wyo, @NDSU, & @EWU the Griz will be the underdogs. @CPSLO they might be as well depending on how good Poly looks early. @SUU is a trap game, they're a playoff team with a great defense. @UND is the only one that looks like a "should win" kind of game for the Griz.

BTW - 3rd year in a row @UND, here's why. Two years ago and this year was set up and agreed upon before UND joined the Big Sky. Those are non-conference games. Last years was an official conference game. I think UND comes back to Missoula one more time... maybe next year, for a non-conference game.

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:

9/13 vs South Dakota
11/1 vs Sac St

9/27 vs No Colorado
10/18 vs UC Davis
11/22 vs Montana St

8/30 @ Wyoming
9/20 @ NDSU
10/25 @ Cal Poly
11/8 @ EWU
11/15 @Southern Utah

On the surface I agree, I think this could be one of the least attractive/exciting home schedules this team has had in years. Although I think it was the 2007 team, theirs was pretty gross/boring too.

Whats tough to tell is if there's a surprise or on the rise-type of team in this group.

C. Wash, UNC, and UCD all have the possible makings to be total duds. Unless UNC or UCD have some sleeper talent on the rise, or UCW has a ton of UW/Wazzu drop-downs like they did back in 2008... I just don't see those games being competitive... for now.

Sac is intriguing, that was one of the more exciting/stressful back and forth games from last year. Safron is the real deal and a game-changer. I'm looking forward to seeing them play here in Wa Griz.

South Dakota is a tough call, obviously another exciting/stressful game from last year but they lost some real studs as I recall, mainly Tyler Starr. Will they be as good?

MSU is THE rivalry game, maybe the only saving grace for the home slate. However with their losses to graduation, injury, and academics... will they be competitive? They've got the makings of what looks like a pretty good defense, IMO, just not sure about the other side of the ball.

On the other side of the coin the road schedule is a beast. @Wyo, @NDSU, & @EWU the Griz will be the underdogs. @CPSLO they might be as well depending on how good Poly looks early. @SUU is a trap game, they're a playoff team with a great defense. @UND is the only one that looks like a "should win" kind of game for the Griz.

BTW - 3rd year in a row @UND, here's why. Two years ago and this year was set up and agreed upon before UND joined the Big Sky. Those are non-conference games. Last years was an official conference game. I think UND comes back to Missoula one more time... maybe next year, for a non-conference game.

We'd better go 6-0 at home and 3-3 on the road.

9-3 with 8 D-1 wins... depending on the rest of the FCS that may make us a bubble team. Would all depend on those road wins. If we drop to Wyo, NDSU, and EWU but beat SUU, UND, and CPSLO and those three all miss the playoffs... might be a nervous week come playoff selections.

BWahlberg said:
9-3 with 8 D-1 wins... depending on the rest of the FCS that may make us a bubble team. Would all depend on those road wins. If we drop to Wyo, NDSU, and EWU but beat SUU, UND, and CPSLO and those three all miss the playoffs... might be a nervous week come playoff selections.

If we're 9-3 with those losses we're in. That would put us at second in the conference, worst-case scenario, and there's no way the Big Sky doesn't get 3 in the playoffs.

grizfan95 said:
BWahlberg said:

If we're 9-3 with those losses we're in. That would put us at second in the conference, worst-case scenario, and there's no way the Big Sky doesn't get 3 in the playoffs.

Yeah you're probably right... the playoffs now are much wider field. We'd probably not have a week off and would be playing right away again I'd bet.

What'll also be interesting to watch is if the Big Sky can repeat it's regular season success of last season and if it'll get stung come selection time based on it's post-season results. We sent 4 teams and 3 lost in their first game.

first11 said:
Too bad we could not flip the away schedule!

But......South dakota may be a better test than we might think, but the home contests do look hohum 'cept for catzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Still looks like another beat down game. Cats are gonna suck this year. South Dakota is most likely the toughest out of conference game on the home schedule. Sac St has taken the Griz right to the wire a few times in recent memory so never know, with Saffron still at the helm. But the kittens are gonna suck.

Too bad so many people on this site think NDSU & EWU are pretty much sure losses. I'd say Wyoming is the only possible sure loss, we can beat NDSU & EWU. We can also beat Wyoming if all goes very well.

AZGrizFan said:
We'd better go 6-0 at home and 3-3 on the road.

I could see us going 9-3 but it would be nice to get a win over in Cheney. We are due for a victory over there..

10-2 wouldn't be so bad. Losing to Wyoming and NDSU

;)

greasewood said:
Too bad so many people on this site think NDSU & EWU are pretty much sure losses. I'd say Wyoming is the only possible sure loss, we can beat NDSU & EWU. We can also beat Wyoming if all goes very well.

Agreed. EWU is not a sure loss at all. NDSU will be down some this year just question how far. I have no doubt the Griz have the talent to do it just some trying not to get hopes too high. The OL is still a big question mark until we see them in action. If OL is under performing then all that offensive power goes out the window.

I thought it was interesting that UM announced the mini-packs for those three games. Can't recall UM ever doing that. Especially when you consider that two of those games shouldn't be too difficult to sell out - the season opener and then the night game.

While I am a season ticket holder, I did call to inquire about the mini-packs, and they are limited to just sections 112 and 114 in the south end zone. Seem to recall that area is used for groups and such, as well as for visiting fans.

Will be interesting to see what the total amount of season tickets sold will be this year.

Just an honest suggestion. When complaining about the sched EACH season, can we limit it to the non-conference games? Absolutely futile to complain about the conference games. UM has no control over them. As for non-con, I was hoping for another FCS home game instead of Central, but we'll get that next season with the money from the Wyoming game. Next year the Griz will host NDSU and another FCS opponent as well as go to Liberty, so for 2015, there won't be a DII on the schedule. Only three non-conference games in 2015.

havgrizfan said:
Just an honest suggestion. When complaining about the sched EACH season, can we limit it to the non-conference games? Absolutely futile to complain about the conference games. UM has no control over them. As for non-con, I was hoping for another FCS home game instead of Central, but we'll get that next season with the money from the Wyoming game. Next year the Griz will host NDSU and another FCS opponent as well as go to Liberty, so for 2015, there won't be a DII on the schedule. Only three non-conference games in 2015.

Sure they do. But I do find it funny that many of the same people who bitch about the "weak" home conference schedule are the ones who don't want to move up to be able to play CSU, Wyoming, Utah State, Nevada, etc, etc., AT HOME on a regular basis.
:| :|

AZ, I am not one who will get dragged into a move-up thread. I stand by statement 100 percent. The University of Montana has ZERO control of their conference schedule.

havgrizfan said:
AZ, I am not one who will get dragged into a move-up thread. I stand by statement 100 percent. The University of Montana has ZERO control of their conference schedule.

Perfectly wrong. The University of Montana has ABSOLUTE control over its conference schedule.

CDAGRIZ said:
havgrizfan said:

Perfectly wrong. The University of Montana has ABSOLUTE control over its conference schedule.

If anything, we've actually had the most difficult conference schedule since the additions.

I will probably go only to the Griz cat game.

I have made it a priority to not show up to a lot of home games anyway because I dont want UM getting my money. I dont have season tickets anymore and I only buy from scalpers.

I go to most of the away games.......like a real fan would.

:coffee:

Back