• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Recruiting Class Grade

PlayerRep said:
dayday said:
As always recruiting is crap shoot so these grades can be taken with a grain of salt.

Positives:
I believe this class is very solid. We did well in-state and in the northwest which is a priority. We got players at almost every position. Trenches were mostly addressed. Owens or Walker are probably the best atheletes of the class.

Negatives:
January recruiting seemed to really fizzle out when I think they still had a few schollies to play with. Hard to believe their were pretty much no home visits or OVs during that month. I think we could have used more speed in this class. Another cover DB and DT could have been used. A luxury would have been to get a speedy running back to complement Ostmo. It also seemed like we struggled to get some of those Cali athletes when other big sky schools were able to get them.

Overall: I grade this out as a B- to B.

Looking ahead: May and June should shed some light on transfers. There is at least one rumored that I am excited about. We will see if that actually pans out. I also think Hauck will really develop the players he has now this offseason so looking forward in what will be a pivotal prove it year for Hauck and staff.

January recruiting didn't fizzle. The Griz got almost all of their commits in the early signing period. I assume there may be some dry powder for possible transfers after spring ball.

Exactly and the staff was very happy with who they got despite what the fans think

mtgrizfankb said:
krammer said:
an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.
:clap:
Transfers that will play:
Knight
Pillians

Fresh/GS that have a good shot to get PT
Ostmo
Owens
Simpson
Dreis
Barthel
Elwell
Hurlburt
Grossman
Edwards
Walker

Let’s not act like this a class with no talent. I think 3-4 of these guys make real good impacts this year if needed.

thanks mtgrizfancb for your answer......wow,,,,it looks to me like we had a very good class....im excited for the coming year and years....go griz!

To all you fellas that actually Played. Just think back to how bad you were as Freshmen, and how damn much better when you were a Junior and a Senior. Right now, I think the Griz coaches have tons of talent to work with and Trust Me these kids will be winners. Write it down.

krammer said:
mtgrizfankb said:
krammer said:
an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.
Knight
Pillians

Ostmo
Owens
Simpson
Dreis
Barthel
Elwell
Hurlburt
Grossman
Edwards
Walker

Let’s not act like this a class with no talent. I think 3-4 of these guys make real good impacts this year if needed.

thanks mtgrizfancb for your answer......wow,,,,it looks to me like we had a very good class....im excited for the coming year and years....go griz!

Keep in mind that I by no means think these guys will start but many of them have a place. Simpson for instance a 6 ft 6 guy with good frame as a freshman can be a dangerous goal line guy. Most of these guys will be rotation players but I fully expect 2-3 of these guys to push for starting spots or at least significant playing time by mid to late year. Remember tho that we are very young still and many of those freshman that saw time last year are going to be MUCH improved. Sophomore year is often the year people start making their mark and showing out. 1 full year of college workouts and coaching goes a long ways.

dayday said:
As always recruiting is crap shoot so these grades can be taken with a grain of salt.

Positives:
I believe this class is very solid. We did well in-state and in the northwest which is a priority. We got players at almost every position. Trenches were mostly addressed. Owens or Walker are probably the best atheletes of the class.

Negatives:
January recruiting seemed to really fizzle out when I think they still had a few schollies to play with. Hard to believe their were pretty much no home visits or OVs during that month. I think we could have used more speed in this class. Another cover DB and DT could have been used. A luxury would have been to get a speedy running back to complement Ostmo. It also seemed like we struggled to get some of those Cali athletes when other big sky schools were able to get them.

Looking ahead: May and June should shed some light on transfers. There is at least one rumored that I am excited about. We will see if that actually pans out. I also think Hauck will really develop the players he has now this offseason so looking forward in what will be a pivotal prove it year for Hauck and staff.

Maybe something, maybe nothing
https://twitter.com/jacosse_/status/1093624577668861952?s=21

Griztrain said:
dayday said:

Positives:

Negatives:

Wow, very interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he wants to play next season, he pretty much has to go FCS, right, since he enrolled at KU?

uofmman1122 said:
Griztrain said:
dayday said:

Positives:

Negatives:

Wow, very interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he wants to play next season, he pretty much has to go FCS, right, since he enrolled at KU?

Correct he is a fbs transfer now so he would either have to step down and play right away or go fbs and burn a year. He has a redshirt year remaining as he was a 3 to play 2.

mtgrizfankb said:
krammer said:
Knight
Pillians

Ostmo
Owens
Simpson
Dreis
Barthel
Elwell
Hurlburt
Grossman
Edwards
Walker

DE/DL- Noah Kaschmitter 6'3" 225 (Grangeville HS) Grangeville, ID
DL- Jacob McGourin 6'5" 215 (Cheney HS) Cheney, WA
My take on Coach Hauck's visit to Kalispell on Wednesday indicated that along with Hurlburt, he was very high on these two recruits, considered McGourin the best athlete of the group.

birdieman said:
mtgrizfankb said:
krammer said:
Knight
Pillians

Ostmo
Owens
Simpson
Dreis
Barthel
Elwell
Hurlburt
Grossman
Edwards
Walker

DE/DL- Noah Kaschmitter 6'3" 225 (Grangeville HS) Grangeville, ID
DL- Jacob McGourin 6'5" 215 (Cheney HS) Cheney, WA
My take on Couch Hauck's visit to Kalispell on Wednesday indicated that along with Hurlburt, he was very high on these two recruits, considering McGourin the best athlete of the group.

You are right, Idk how I forgot those two. Both were brought in as players with bodies and skills to play as freshman.

Triwest said:
wbtfg said:
Wow. Definitely not what I expected. Was Hauck short on scholarships? Is he holding a bunch back for summer transfers?

I do not know total scholarship number, but team only had 12 seniors total in 2018. Also had two grey shirt commitments that scholarships went into effect this semester.

He signed 26 kids. That’s a lot and not surprising in my opinion.

PlayerRep said:
dayday said:

Positives:

Negatives:

January recruiting didn't fizzle. The Griz got almost all of their commits in the early signing period. I assume there may be some dry powder for possible transfers after spring ball.

Agree completely. They signed 23 kids in the early period, more than any other team in the Big Sky and one of the highest in all of FCS.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-recruiting-top-50-fcs-teams-rankings-ajaj

I do think this is a complete joke in how they compile their rankings.

Post by dayday » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... kings-ajaj

Well maybe you are right but at least they compiled them. In their opinion, using their algorithms, the Griz don't even make the top 50 recruiting classes unless I missed something. Herosports' algorithms and opinion could be totally wrong and there are examples (Belichick) where coaches can turn coal into gold. Many of you seem to think Hauck can still do this but I have yet to be convinced and think times have changed. Many on this forum like to turn new recruits immediately into all-Americans which is of course not the situation in most cases. Personally I am skeptical and while numbers of recruits was strong I thought this recruiting class overall lacked size coming in. There are several, as per usual, who will never see the field and are simply practice fodder receiving some tuition relief. Unlike many, I am not a strong supporter of the contention that small school MT players, other than the occasional exception, will bring the return to dominance. Better to go to Chicago, Minneapolis, Florida like NDSU. West Coast is not really that fertile anymore unless you are P5.

sdk.catfish said:

Well maybe you are right but at least they compiled them. In their opinion, using their algorithms, the Griz don't even make the top 50 recruiting classes unless I missed something. Herosports' algorithms and opinion could be totally wrong and there are examples (Belichick) where coaches can turn coal into gold. Many of you seem to think Hauck can still do this but I have yet to be convinced and think times have changed. Many on this forum like to turn new recruits immediately into all-Americans which is of course not the situation in most cases. Personally I am skeptical and while numbers of recruits was strong I thought this recruiting class overall lacked size coming in. There are several, as per usual, who will never see the field and are simply practice fodder receiving some tuition relief. Unlike many, I am not a strong supporter of the contention that small school MT players, other than the occasional exception, will bring the return to dominance. Better to go to Chicago, Minneapolis, Florida like NDSU. West Coast is not really that fertile anymore unless you are P5.
That post was authentic frontier gibberish. The only part that made any sense was the bit about turning coal into gold. Most would have said coal into a diamond, or lead into gold, but only someone who really knows what they’re talking about can conflate the two

sdk.catfish said:

Counterpoint:

All of Bob Stitt's recruiting classes.

They weren't all-world, but they were highly touted, and followed a similar "formula" to what you outlined here. They would have easily been ranked in this ranking (maybe they were? This looks new to me), but as we saw, that didn't and doesn't really mean anything.

Hauck clearly has his own theories and strategies about how to recruit and coach up talent, and he's definitely following a lot of what got him to where he was before. Will it work? Who can say? But he was hired to do that, so I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

uofmman1122 said:
sdk.catfish said:

Counterpoint:

All of Bob Stitt's recruiting classes.

They weren't all-world, but they were highly touted, and followed a similar "formula" to what you outlined here. They would have easily been ranked in this ranking (maybe they were? This looks new to me), but as we saw, that didn't and doesn't really mean anything.

Hauck clearly has his own theories and strategies about how to recruit and coach up talent, and he's definitely following a lot of what got him to where he was before. Will it work? Who can say? But he was hired to do that, so I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

Hauck will get everything out of the players he recruits or they won't see the field. Clearly he does not tolerate slackers or those who do not buy into the program. You can have the best damn recruits on earth, but who cares if their attitude sucks, they are entitled and don't want to work. The ranking means nothing. These kids are coming out of high school and who the heck knows how their college careers will go?

It seems to me that Hauck approaches this class by focusing on signing everyone early and then saving some money to use one the waiver wire/transfer portal.

I realize it’s too early to tell, but do you like that strategy?

wbtfg said:
It seems to me that Hauck approaches this class by focusing on signing everyone early and then saving some money to use one the waiver wire/transfer portal.

I realize it’s too early to tell, but do you like that strategy?
Let me get back to you after summer, considering we haven't gotten anyone through that method yet this season (unless you count the JuCo prospects). If that is indeed the goal, it doesn't seem to be working thus far.

Back